Cleaning a compressor tank..HELP!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I am in the process of cleaning/servicing my compressor.
It is a very good Italian jobbie. A SIL--EOL 9/50 if that helps....

Anyhow I have emptied the tank for a shocking amount of emulsified oil (it is literally like soft ice) but is proving a pain to get the last dregs out. The Bottom main drain is so tight I fear damaging it trying to undo it so I have been bleeding it through the condensation releas valve...

Does any one know what can be used to reduce/dissolve the emulsion that will not damage the rest of the unit.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I'm not familiar with your machine, but if you've managed to get some of the 'stuff' out, will it thin with IPA, if so maybe use that. It's not too 'strong'.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
If it was me I would try washing up liquid in warm water first. The soap should break up the oil, and if it doesnt work it shouldn't damage anything.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well I got as much of it out as I could, I think pretty much all of it. A bit of air from the workshop compressor (at a low 1bar) pushed the most of it through. The most important was there was no more condensation water coming out.
Funny though. The 'scum' filled two half liter tubs. The amount of clean oil to fill it again was only about 20 maybe 30 cc!
The most impressive taking consideration of the amount of 'gunk and water (only a couple of cc's of water) there had never been a single drop of either in the oil/moisture traps at the regulators.
Anyhow all clean and oiled and now ready to run. Still holds 100% pressure as well!

Next problem is a hood for the extractor....
Can you silver solder Aluminium or is it a lot of faffing about and better to rivet it?

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Depends on the type of silver solder and ali, but I think the aluminium will melt before the solder.