Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Have they lost the plot.
I was in the one shop in DK where I can order these from and got half the order and told the ret is out of stock. Fair enough.
Today I learned that the size of the pots are changing. 14ml standard size tin lets for model paint are out. New stock will be in either 30ml or 125ml tins. at around £5 and £13 respectively.
So looks like I am going to find another solution. A pity as they are good paint but the supersized pots and prices.... the paint will out last me.
A 1/200 ships hull takes max three 14ml tinlets if you can only buy the colour in 125ml ... that's what three? Four? hulls worth.
Personally I think they are making a big mistake. I can see lots of customers saying bugger that and finding another solution. Like me.

Reactions: JR

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
The MRP lacquers I buy are all 30ml bottles for about £5. One reason I like them is because they are in 30ml bottles!

I can see the sense in varnishes and primers coming in even larger bottles as well.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It depends a lot on what you use them for, I would say. If you only build ships of a specific navy, then the 125 ml tins will be a good buy — but if all you need a certain colour for is painting the odd face and hands of a 1:35 scale tank crewman, even 10 ml will last you forever. For myself, I like Tamiya’s 23 ml bottles and prefer buying them over the 10 ml ones, mainly because you pay about 50% extra for the actual paint in the smaller bottle, but 125 ml … no, thanks.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
It is not just Navy paints Jakko, they also do Armour and Aircraft colours.
How many 1/35 scale tanks could you paint with a 14ml tin of Humbrol? Just curious.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Have they lost the plot.
I was in the one shop in DK where I can order these from and got half the order and told the ret is out of stock. Fair enough.
Today I learned that the size of the pots are changing. 14ml standard size tin lets for model paint are out. New stock will be in either 30ml or 125ml tins. at around £5 and £13 respectively.
So looks like I am going to find another solution. A pity as they are good paint but the supersized pots and prices.... the paint will out last me.
A 1/200 ships hull takes max three 14ml tinlets if you can only buy the colour in 125ml ... that's what three? Four? hulls worth.
Personally I think they are making a big mistake. I can see lots of customers saying bugger that and finding another solution. Like me.

I buy Colourcoats direct from Sovereign Hobbies and for the moment at least the traditional 14ml tinlets are available. Maybe it's something to do with shipping them across the North Sea? I couldn't see anything on the website advising of a change in sizes.

Like you, I wouldn't want larger quantities. I suppose 30ml would be just about okay, but a 14ml tinlet each of Medium Sea Grey, Ocean Grey and Dark Green will typically be enough for three 1/32 scale aircraft! Yes, it's only 14ml, but that is before thinning and at three quid a tin it's not bad value for money. Sovereign's shipping has got quite expensive which might justify buying the larger 30ml tinlets less frequently. I've no idea who would need a whopping 125ml, maybe someone painting a large R/C model or their shed?

I would say that many popular colours have been showing as sold out. I first noticed this several months ago when I was looking to make an order and the situation doesn't look much better today. For example, both Sky and Ocean Grey are showing as sold out.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Seems a strange move. Unless you work in Boatman’s scale they are completely over the top.
I remember Cherry paints railway enamels coming in similar sizes back in the day. The only LSWR coach salmon on the market at the time was made by them, and only in a 125ml tin. I still have it thirty years later. I made quite a lot of 4mm coaching stock when I was still railway modelling, and I think the tin is still about 90% full…Good for colour consistency across models, but not a lot else. Humbrol used to make large tins of the basic colours as well. I had both matt black and matt white in that size because they are very common colours on railway stock…..totally false economy, they were both unusable before I got a third of the way down the tin……and I used to use white as an undercoat on anything bright, so it wasn’t as if it was used infrequently.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It is not just Navy paints Jakko, they also do Armour and Aircraft colours.
I know, I was aiming for examples where one or the other might be useful but not both.

How many 1/35 scale tanks could you paint with a 14ml tin of Humbrol? Just curious.
Probably one, maybe two? That’s one reason why I prefer the 23 ml Tamiya bottles: it’s easily enough for a couple of 1:35 scale vehicles, while with a 10 ml bottle I often find it running low enough after one that I wouldn’t want to paint a second without buying more. Maybe that’s the idea behind them …

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
would say that many popular colours have been showing as sold out. I first noticed this several months ago when I was looking to make an order and the situation doesn't look much better today. For example, both Sky and Ocean Grey are showing as sold out.
They say the 14ml tins are hard to find at a fair price and quality so they where looking for an alternative . A questionnaire put tins as the preferred choice.
The sold out bit is I reckon a mix of out of paint and out of tins. The word is that once the 14ml. tins run out the bigger ones will replace them.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Found the full blog.
2023 Update folks! Read about the upcoming changes to our range and business!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks Ian.
I'm not going to give up on Colourcoats. Even if I do spray them less often I still need a decent paint that I can brush and most of their colours fit the bill. 30ml I can deal with.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I also will try to continue with them as long as they are max 30ml which by the way are the same height as the old tins so still fit the drawers.
As I mentioned only one shop in DK sell them and even then its pot luck if the ones you need are in stock. Which is a pain with the very long restock times.