COMPLETED: 1/35 DOG GREEN SECTOR, 1st WAVE...OMAHA BEACH 6th JUNE 1944

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Here are the photos of Dog Green Sector on Omaha Beach.

I have tried to convey a little bit of what it might of been like for the 1st wave of infantry to hit the beach on June 6th 1944.....Most of these youngsters died in the first few minutes of landing on that awful place...

I have taken this set of photos in B/W as I think it gives a better feeling to the subject.

I have also taken a set in colour which, if anyone would like to see them, I will post in a couple of days. Otherwise it will be true overload time!

Regarding the actual diorama, I used red building sand and the Tamiya figures and barricade kits. You can see them in the build section of this G.B.

I had intended to have the figures half submerged in the sea, but decided it would look better with them in the wet sand just ahead of the incoming tide.

The soldiers have stripped off most of their kit to stop from drowning and now lie exhausted, cold and frightened behind any cover they can find......

I didn't put in any explosions and bullets hitting the sand as I didn't think they would make much difference, apart from that I don't think I could have done them good enough!lol

As a finishing touch, using my artists watercolours, I roughly painted some background for the pictures:- The invasion fleet, the shoreline and along the beach. I placed these behind the diorama and took the photos.

I hope you like the selection I chose. I took far too many, so I have whittled them down to managable proportions. Perhaps still too many?

All comments and suggestions welcome...

Thanks,

Ron

View attachment 30482

View attachment 30483

View attachment 30484

View attachment 30485

View attachment 30486

View attachment 30487

View attachment 30488

View attachment 30489

View attachment 30490

View attachment 30491

View attachment 30492

View attachment 30493

View attachment 30494

View attachment 30495

View attachment 30496

View attachment 30497

View attachment 30498

View attachment 30499

View attachment 30500

Omaha Beach 069.jpg

Omaha Beach 067.jpg

Omaha Beach 035.jpg

Omaha Beach 051.jpg

Omaha Beach 047.jpg

Omaha Beach 028.jpg

Omaha Beach 054.jpg

Omaha Beach 038.jpg

Omaha Beach 064.jpg

Omaha Beach 048.jpg

Omaha Beach 065.jpg

Omaha Beach 052.jpg

Omaha Beach 061.jpg

Omaha Beach 039.jpg

Omaha Beach 043.jpg

Omaha Beach 031.jpg

Omaha Beach 058.jpg

Omaha Beach 057.jpg

Omaha Beach 059.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That is brilliant.Too many pictures? You're kidding.

I absolutely love it,when I opened the first image I thought I was looking at Robert Capa's long lost film!

I'm lost for words.

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Gobsmackingly brilliant ron, its like looking at stills from a film or documentary . As always ,youve captured a real sense of action and human drama ,a very powerful piece of work . 5 from me mate , cheers tony

S

Sky Raider

I agree with the others Ron, absolutly stunning work, you have captured this brilliantly, a very nice tribute to our heros.

Well done.

Andy

5 stars mate

D

dm73

This is top notch stuff Ron, the black and white pics make this very lifelike. Looks like it was hell on earth for the poor lads that were involved .

5 stars from me as well.

Darren

R

rogue-one

wow! thats fantasic ron! the photo's a great. just like everyone says, they give a super sense of action and drama. i particuarlly like the sixteenth pic. have u got it in a framed base? coz it would be nice to see a pic of it in its whole glory. five stars defo from me!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks ever so much for the great comments chaps. I really do appreciate the nice things you have said about my model and the Big 5!!

Bobby, just for you. Not the best of pictures but it does show the complete article.

Thanks again,

Ron

View attachment 30518

Omaha Beach 029.jpg

N

noble

Ron mate you get five stars from me no question i love this.

F

Fenlander

As always Ron, a top piece of work. Great idea and very well executed yet again. Never ceases to amaze me how you can make plastic and sand so animated.

B

Bunkerbarge

Absolutely brilliant. The backdrop makes such a difference and completes the scene perfectly. It's quite disturbing just how realistic it is as it makes you feel like you are there. It has the same effect to me as Saving Private Ryan did so you've done a great job there.

T

treyzx10r

Ron ,this is one over the top build! Great work and very very convincing 5 star build for certain!

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Excellent work there Ron. Really captured the moment

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
You did it again mate! Truly wonderful. A great tribute and so animated to boot!

Five * from me too.

If you ever get to post the colour pictures, I for one would love to see them!

Well done Ron!

Ian M

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
I'm lost for word Ron, was looking through the pics mate i was filling up mate. You've done a cracking job and the black & white photo at a low angle made it all the more real. I've just shown the wife and she thinks it's brilliant too, so it's five stars from both of us Ron.

Have fun, John

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks lads and Mrs. John for the kind words. It makes very nice reading.

Boys, you can blame Ian for the inclusion of some colour photos with this post....

I hope you enjoy the handful I filtered from rather an unneccessary load of snaps.

Cheers,

Ron

View attachment 30590

View attachment 30591

View attachment 30592

View attachment 30593

View attachment 30594

View attachment 30595

View attachment 30596

View attachment 30597

View attachment 30598

View attachment 30599

View attachment 30600

View attachment 30601

Omaha Beach 062.jpg

Omaha Beach 026.jpg

Omaha Beach 044.jpg

Omaha Beach 023.jpg

Omaha Beach 033.jpg

Omaha Beach 030.jpg

Omaha Beach 022.jpg

Omaha Beach 034.jpg

Omaha Beach 032.jpg

Omaha Beach 045.jpg

Omaha Beach 024.jpg

Omaha Beach 027.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
If there were any colour photographs of those appalling early hours on that beach I suspect they'd look exactly like that. I can't say more than that.

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks Ron!

Looks good in colour to but I think the BW was a good move as it really brings home the atmosphere.

So these Paintings you made for the back drops, Is this yet another of your hidden talents Ron? Don't be shy....

Ian M

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Thanks Ron!Looks good in colour to but I think the BW was a good move as it really brings home the atmosphere.

So these Paintings you made for the back drops, Is this yet another of your hidden talents Ron? Don't be shy....

Ian M
Ian, glad to be of help. You are right, the colour ones are O.K. but the B/W ones are more atmostpheric. Perhaps it's because we see so very few genuine colour WW2 pictures our brains are more accustomed to seeing B/W ones, if you follow that jibberish..

Yes, I do dabble a bit with watercolours, any subject except anything live! The backdrops were an afterthought and as such are only faintly and roughly done.

Ron