Convert color code from Italeri to Tamiya

Dozent

SMF Supporter
First Name
Matteo
Hi everyone.

I've noticed that the model shop downstairs stocks kits exclusively from Italeri, yet they carry Tamiya paints. The manuals shows only Italeri's colors for painting and I have no other reference. I stumbled upon this conversion table here, and I'm curious: Can I rely on this conversion?

Thank you in advance!
M

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Matteo,
I tend to use this app "Hobby color converter" it's a free app and also has a great scale converter and other useful things.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I wouldn’t really trust manufacturer’s recommendations anyway, at least not if they only recommend their own brand of paint :smiling3: The best way to do it is to research what the colour of the real thing was, and then find a good model paint match for it.

That said, the table you link to seems fairly comprehensive. However, Italeri itself also provides conversion charts, including to Tamiya: go to the bottom of this page and download the PDF. The first one, ItaleriAcrylicPaint-Conversion-Chart.pdf, includes Tamiya equivalents, but I must say they look to be a bit approximate — for example, three different Italeri colours all convert to XF-7.

Dozent

SMF Supporter
First Name
Matteo
Ciao a tutti e due,

Alright, thank you for supporting me with infos and the PDF. I started to notice this today when I painted the bottom of the Huey with Flat Gray... it doesn't quite match what I saw in real pictures, which appeared more like "aluminum".

Damn, I thought they were accurate hahaa

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That’s where the real-world research comes in :smiling3: But, of course, that does get in the way of just building your model. Still, the underside of a military helicopter is very unlikely to be unpainted aluminium, so grey is probably the right colour.