Coutances (Normandy) early 1944

C

CDW

\ said:
How are the tracks? indy or band?
You get both in this kit Aaron .... the single band tracks have really good detail so i may just try them first.

C

CDW

finished the tracks and popped them on the finished chassis (shame you can't see hardly any of this when the tops on).

View attachment 41171View attachment 41172

The tank-top ( :smiling3: ) in the base colour and an improvised ring with .50cal mount for the turretless model (just had a basic dark wash)

View attachment 41173View attachment 41174

last two infantrymen done.

View attachment 41175View attachment 41176

Just need to find a spare figure to add to the "Honey" hmmmmm

View attachment 44806

View attachment 44807

View attachment 44808

View attachment 44809

View attachment 44810

View attachment 44811

Photo0380.jpg

Photo0391.jpg

Photo0381.jpg

Photo0383.jpg

Photo0393.jpg

Photo0394.jpg

D

dubster72

Some excellent work there Colin, I especially like how you've done the tracks ; quite restrained & subtle it's easy to go overboard here.

The infantrymen look good, the eyes in particular as they're not wide-eyed like most of mine!

I look forward to seeing more.

Patrick

First Name
Aaron
Wow man you work well fast lols.

I agree with Patrick the figs DO look good!!!

Sorry i cant help with the fig, all the figs i own are german apart from a few american spares from a shermie.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Colin

Really great work on the diorama - top class stuff. I especially like the telegraph poles and wires.

Your father's stories behind this dio also give it that added depth. Keep up the fabulous work Colin, this is going to be a fantastic diorama when finished.

All the best

Paul

Ps. Miniart do some NW European theatre tank riders - any good for the turretless Stuart?

C

CDW

\ said:
Ps. Miniart do some NW European theatre tank riders - any good for the turretless Stuart?
I've sort of worked around the charactor situation (i think:smiling3:) thanks for the hint though.

I'm calling the Stuart Recce finished, it's based on a turretless M3 Stuart light tank.

This version, from a fair bit of research, was used in france at around the time of the diorama. It has a frameowrk that was used to support the canvas cover used to protect against the weather and the odd grenade that was thrown at them :smiling3:

The single machine gun (either .50 or .30 cal) was sometimes mounted on a working turret ring enabling full 360 degs use.

View attachment 41313View attachment 41314View attachment 41315View attachment 41316View attachment 41317View attachment 41318View attachment 41319

View attachment 44941

View attachment 44942

View attachment 44943

View attachment 44944

View attachment 44945

View attachment 44946

View attachment 44947

Photo0395.jpg

Photo0396.jpg

Photo0397.jpg

Photo0398.jpg

Photo0399.jpg

Photo0400.jpg

Photo0401.jpg

T

tecdes

Wow that is good Colin. I very tempted to have a go a something similar. But as said I am slow. Also I am really wedded to aircraft. Not enough time in this world. Problem I started late.

Where are you going to keep this Colin ?

Laurie

D

dubster72

You've cracked that Stuart Colin! It's very good & I like the mud ; people often don't realise how bad the weather was for much of the Normandy campaign.

Frankly, I wouldn't fancy seeing France in one of them, especially not with panzerfausts shooting out of the hedgerows!

Cheers

Patrick

C

CDW

thanks chaps, encouraging comments.

Laurie - the whole diorama is going to be kept on show in our living room. its about finished, just need to make a nice stained wooden base for it.

C

CDW

I'm calling this finished, it's been an enjoyable build and i've tried to fit in any occurences that My Dad mentioned in the few times he actually brought himself to talk of the war.

Imagine if you will ...............

Late afternoon in Coutances (early 1944) the lads patrol the streets, supported fore and aft by a bren carrier and M3 stuart recce, looking for anything that seems out of place in the village. As per usual, during their sauntering through the cobbled streets, there's quite a few delays as the villagers offer time to stop off and engage in pleasant company with a chance to relax but never to let their guard down completely.

The vehicles park up and the squaddies start to head towards the villagers and mingle. of course "catch-up Cartwright" is trailing behind as per usual with not a care in the world it seems.

The vehicle commanders share a smoke and a coffee with an old chap who regails them with stories of when he was in service and how much has changed since then, his wife looks on thankful he's too old to be of any use anymore.

The youngsters stop playing and stand in awe at the vehicles, waiting for the soldiers to stop and join in with their games, wondering if they've brought any chocolate this time ... of course one of the drivers has a few bars and offers one to the little girl ...he feels a little sad - she reminds him of his little sister back home.

The children particularly like the two geordies in the bren carrier and they playfully taunt them to listen to their accent, nothing like the typically british way the nice man in charge of the carrier speaks, its all good fun and the other soldiers join in and try their hand at speaking a few French phrases ... again to the amusement of the children.

A few villagers will bring bread, eggs and other food stuff wrapped in paper and give them to the soldiers as thanks for the odd jobs they did the day before, hoping they will offer to help out again today, as always - they do, and the squaddies bring out various tools and equipment from the vehicles to repair fences and whatever household utilities have stopped working.

An hour or two will pass as the soldiers finish playing around and complete any odd jobs they've been asked (or decided) to do .... they've enjoyed their brief period of normality..... unfortunately it's back to patrolling and worst of all ...back to the war.

View attachment 45078

View attachment 45079

View attachment 45080

View attachment 45081

View attachment 45082

View attachment 45083

View attachment 45084

View attachment 45085

View attachment 45086

View attachment 45087

View attachment 45088

View attachment 45089

View attachment 45090

View attachment 45091

View attachment 45092

View attachment 45093

Photo0438.jpg

Photo0439.jpg

Photo0440.jpg

Photo0443.jpg

Photo0445.jpg

Photo0446.jpg

Photo0448.jpg

Photo0452.jpg

Photo0453.jpg

Photo0456.jpg

Photo0460.jpg

Photo0461E001.jpg

Photo0462E001.jpg

Photo0463E001.jpg

Photo0465.jpg

Photo0441.jpg

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Brilliant stuff Colin. Through being away I've missed the latter stages of the build, but have just gone through it now....

Lovely model, loads to look at and a cracking bit of scratch building too. The story is great and fits the scene perfectly. The plaque is a nice finishing touch.

Your dad would have been well chuffed had he been able to see it.....

Who knows, perhaps he has....

Well done.

Ron

D

dubster72

That's an excellent dio Colin. So much to admire from the little details you've added to the quality of the vehicles & figures. I personally prefer figs to be more matt in appearance, but that's just my preference & your's are excellent as they are.

There's a real feeling of animation in this still-life which conveys the story you're telling. Tremendous job!

Cheers

Patrick

C

CDW

Thanks for the comments chaps. i'm chuffed with the finished deal myself.

\ said:
personally prefer figs to be more matt in appearance, but that's just my preference & your's are excellent as they are.
I mentioned to Polux earlier in this thread about the colours, they have a flat matt finish but carry a mild sheen to them that i quite like, unfortunately that gets lost in flash photography as the surface is so flat it reflects any direct light.

I've tried to get a shot with the camera (no flash) in natural light that is as close as i can get to what the naked eye sees.

It's not 100% accurate but you may be able to see what i mean.

View attachment 41555

View attachment 45168

Photo0485.jpg

D

dubster72

\ said:
Thanks for the comments chaps. i'm chuffed with the finished deal myself.I mentioned to Polux earlier in this thread about the colours, they have a flat matt finish but carry a mild sheen to them that i quite like, unfortunately that gets lost in flash photography as the surface is so flat it reflects any direct light.

I've tried to get a shot with the camera (no flash) in natural light that is as close as i can get to what the naked eye sees.

It's not 100% accurate but you may be able to see what i mean.

View attachment 41555
Aah I see what you mean! I have to admit, it's obviously the flash that's picking out the satin finish. That picture in normal light shows them off in their true selves - very nice!

First Name
Aaron
Colin, Awesome job.

It looks Fantastic it must dominat ethe room? Id be proud of this. Great job mate.