Craft knives

S

Shepherduke

I have wasted a lot of money on craft knives over the past year. Some were average, and some downright rubbish. Have you any recommendations for a decent knife (for balsa)?

I had thought about using the type of knife a chiropodist would use with a detachable/replaceable blade, but don't know where source them. Thanks.

S

Sky Raider

You wont go wrong with a scalple, i have 2 and they are the best by far. You should get them from a good chemists. You will never go wrong but be careful, they are sharpe as hell.

Andy

A

andygh

I like these, the blades are strong but very sharp. A box of 50 blades lasts me almost a year

Swann Morton Craft Tool Hobby Knife (1231) | Antics Online Model Shop

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Another vote for surgical scalpels here.

Cheers

Steve

B

Bunkerbarge

A retractable Stanley knife for big stuff but a scalpel for 99% of plastic modelling. Also get yourself a good pair of very fine electronics side cutters. You can snip parts from sprues very neatly and then the simplest of tasks to remove the tag with the scalpel.

Different shape blades are available and you won't find anything sharper. Take care though, when paring towards your thumb you will invariably draw blood without realising it. Yes I know I shouldn't do it.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Im with steve and andy, the swann morton knives are excellent, have a look here Scalpels & Blades - Stockists and suppliers of Swann Morton Scalpel Blades, handles and accessories cheers tony

PJP

Peter/Pedro/Hey you
First Name
Peter
Scalpels

Swann Morton No. 3 scalpel handle and blades.

Metal handle, feels nice in the hand, lots of blade shapes at sensible prices and some of them can be resharpened and reshaped..

Relatively simple blade change and much safer if you buy a little plastic blade changing tool and all avaiable from art,craft and model shops, although sadly,not the forum shop yet.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
\ said:
although sadly,not the forum shop yet.
Watch this space :smiling3: I was going to start stocking x-acto but reading this the Swann Morton seem much more popular, I've emailed them for prices etc so see what they say

S

Shepherduke

Barry, tried my local Boots Chemist the other day with no luck. Do you know of a particular chemist who might stock them? Cheers Shepherduke

S

simtur

FYI amazon.co.uk sells Swann Morton blades, just bought myself a box of 100 No.11 blades for under 11 quid

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I am also selling them now for slightly less

T

tecdes

Mentioned above. When you buy a sprue cutter make sure you obtain one with out the bottom edges chamfered back. IE the edges when cutting next to the model part should be perfectly flat.

These types will cut back close to the model part. Electrician's types will leave a lump of sprue attached.

Laurie

A

andygh

I use both types for different types of cuts, both are useful

M

mule4468

Like a few of you, I use the trusty Swann Scalpel No. 11. Both my wife and I work in a hospital theatre and have "acquired" a box (100), plus the odd surgical tool - forceps etc :eek:

Last edited:

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi all

Swan Morton gets my vote.

Vaughan

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Like a few of you, I use the trusty Swann Scalpel No. 11. Both my wife and I work in a hospital theatre and have "acquired" a box (100), plus the odd surgical tool - forceps etc :eek:
Hemostats (arterial forceps) are useful modelling tools. Of course I'm not suggesting you liberate them from theatre and leave some poor b*gger bleeding to death.

Cheers

Steve

T

tecdes

Wow from clothes pegs to Klear floor shine & now Hemostats.

What a wonderfully weird hobby.

There must be a place for Secateurs a garlic press or even Stilsons.

Laurie

G

GazB

Not quite used in the actual modelling, but Secateurs are what my wife threatens to use on part of my anatomy when i'm still glueing bits of plastic together at 1:30 in the morning...

naturally I tend to stop immediately!