Creating and painting of war dead

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
One unique aspect of my model building is the depicting as realistically as is possible in 1/35 scale the casualties of war. While not a nice aspect of model building I feel it is a necessary part of historically chronicling the brutal aspects of such events. Though understandably not for everyone I was once told by a valued member "after all aren't we endeavoring to create a historical snapshot?" I paraphrase of course.

It is not an easy process and much imagination is required, but shouldn't we all expose ourselves to challenges in our hobby? I don't go for "buying" pre-molded versions of "casualties" set forth buy the numerous figure producing companies but challenge my peers to sift through their scrap boxes and create their own "Frankensteinish" creations. :/

One major aspect is LAYERS and remembering that any and all mistakes can be corrected easily enough, discouragement is not an option -_-  after all there is never any rush and experimentation is all the fun.

I will use current "Habe Ihn!" dio as one tool in my endeavor since there are documented stages in the creation from the parts boxes from standard figures that most I'm sure already posses so No out of pocket investments required ;)

I must admit I do have inspiration for current project and I think there is plenty of pics out there to inspire us all

Will start thread if I feel there is sufficient interest so please give me some feedback one way or the other....... Either way all is well ;) ........Jim :smiling3:

Dustbin

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Jim. As someone who had several years ago decided to model only Great War subjects, the time has come, I think, to start including dead figures. The Centenary has no doubt exposed many people to the sad abundance displayed by all during that conflict. The achievement of realistic 1/35 scale corpses is rarely doneand I will follow this with great interest

Paul

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Thanks guys, didn't know how well it would go over, glad to have you aboard. will back track to beginning of "Habe Ihn!" to bore you with details and commentary. please check out "Horror better pics " in completed dioramas to see other interpretations and "Horror Falaise" you will also see my interpretation of slaughtered horses.

I don't pretend to be an expert or all that talented, just someone who finds this particular niche interesting and would like to share this particular adventure in modeling with some fellow travelers. Will expand as time and fortune allow....thanks so much for your interest....Jim :smiling3:

Hi Jim. As someone who had several years ago decided to model only Great War subjects, the time has come, I think, to start including dead figures. The Centenary has no doubt exposed many people to the sad abundance displayed by all during that conflict. The achievement of realistic 1/35 scale corpses is rarely doneand I will follow this with great interest

Paul

Hi Paul, am very interested in WW1 myself, check out "Eye Deep In Hell" a WW1 dio I've done not too long ago you might be interested in viewing, it's in the completed dio forum page 3 I believe.....Cheers..Jim :smiling3:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
this will be interesting Jim,I,m in always like to lean new ways, :D

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
I'm in for your tutorial Jim as I plan to build my own zombies. Look forward to it  :D

will be real looking forward to seeing how you do your zombies ,John,

as I have a plan for a new zombie one as well,coming up soon I,hope, :D

oops sorry Jim,not taking over your post lol, O.o --------well not let,----- :D

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 4539

I would very much like to see a tutorial from you Jim :smiling3: .

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Thanks ralph, glad to have you aboard, I don't particularly like the word "tutorial"... I think of this thread as more of a sharing thing since I don't consider myself in a position to teach anyone anything. Should be fun though and as others lend their minds and talents to the subject I'm sure there will be plenty of input and new Ideas from all ;)

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Well to start with, one must have a picture in his or her head as to what is to be attempted to be achieved. note I said "attempted" because I believe it will take more than a few tries to get to where you might start to feel satisfied (I certainly ain't there in my own mind) A pic from an image on line is a good place to start, many though are copyrighted so you might not be able to print it directly from PC.

To get around this snag I just photo-ed one right off the screen and then just printed off my pics files. Worked like a charm ;) . Using existing 1/35 figures can be a strain but they can be used in dioramas and such and every one just about has a butt load of them anyway.

One thing about them is that by scale they are "thick" and "chunky" so a fair bit of grinding down has to be done depending on the severity of their plight (burning) which tends to disintegrate clothing and shrivel the body, in such cases the heads and faces of these figures can sanded to anything from a hairless head with a slightly puffy face to a near skull depending on circumstance. same with body..(how long were they in the fire?) Zombies are a little different kettle of fish but also would fit very well into this thread. Since they are very popular we should get quite a few ideas from the rank and file...as I said , to me this is a sharing thing so all ideas, techniques and plenty of pics are more than welcome.

1)  1/35 scale "Chunky"

View attachment 260081

As can be seen in this pic parts are from several different trees, just searched around till something seemed to be what I wanted, though limbs can be cut and re-positioned easy enough. watch the shoulder joints though, for if not in right position by "natural eye" they will seem disturbingly "off"

All these clippings are from just these two fellows, mostly bulky uniform moldings etc... thinning of limbs essential for shrunken by flame look. Also keep in mind that if your figure is to be laid out on a hard surface (roadway or sidewalk etc...) you must remember to "flatten" out where body is to make contact so as to give the impression of settled weight on hard surface, if setting into soft strata not so much of a concern.  

View attachment 260236

In this poor soul's case his back had to be drastically trimmed down for him to lie flat on turret, one can also observe sanding of head and face to re-create a cooked but not totally burned to bone head.....Yeeeesh! o.O

OOPS!....here's the Missus with the groceries...gotta go.. :/

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
very good in your explaining ,the how too,as a lot of people will over look that ,fact,of weight,and also were to cut and bend arm,legs and middle,

at the joints  9_9

liking this so far Jim,and I do think a lot will lean and enjoy from this as well, :D

you know would be real good if some one made like blanks in 1.35 ,or kind of wearing jeans,shirts would be a great help, o.O

J

John Rixon

Nice one Jim, any tutorials from a modeller with your philosophy can only be a good thing, especially for those on a budget, as you are so good at using basic stuff. I'm all ears...

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Nice one Jim, any tutorials from a modeller with your philosophy can only be a good thing, especially for those on a budget, as you are so good at using basic stuff. I'm all ears...

Thanks John, welcome aboard ;)

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
2) Dressing up a bit;

A nice thin single ply of soft tissue paper can be used to simulate torn and burnt clothing, use a mix of two drops water to one drop white glue and dab it about figure where needed and lay tiny shreds here and there. a soft brush dipped in glue/water mixture can be used to spread it about and a tooth pick can be used to help the process along and also to create tears where needed. Keep some dry tissue close by to absorb excess liquid. works great ,dries fast and is very durable come painting time if let dry for 24 hrs.

Takes some practice and even more patience to get it where you want it but you will only get better at it the more you do it, just like anything else.

View attachment 260190

View attachment 260191

Brain splatter is just some plastic drill shavings and Testors modeling glue.

N

noble

Hi Jim quite a controversial subject there mate, but i think it is a topic that more and more people are exploring..... why, well because in combat people sadly die in many ways if you are building military models or dioramas you can put across the true horror of war, i feel as long as it is done in a fairly tasteful way it can have a huge impact on the viewer. So you have my attention on this tutorial will be looking for tips to re-shape figures for realistic poses.

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
very interesting Jim,liking this a lot,

do see the use of the tissue for clothing as its think and keeps in scale, :D