Dave Ward's Vulcan 1/35 Light Tank Mk. VIB BEF

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
I think we're all curious Dave... Good luck.:thumb2:

Definitely Dave,

I've seen the kit but not one being built, yet.

Te springs on the running gear look very much like the Riich Bren carrier kits.

Have fun?

Steve H

Reactions: JR

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I've thought about doing my usual, and painting bits on the sprue, but because of all the holes/pins that will clog up, I'm going to leave off painting to a later stage.
First off - checking the parts - I carefully separated and identified the rods and springs - not easy on the springs, they're very similar! Into shotglasses, and labelled330539330540
Nested & put away in a safe place.

Looking at the instructions for the suspension - I couldn't find part B3 - you need 16 of them330538

Careful reading of the instructions revealed the truth.................................330541

Those are B3 parts - you have to slice them off the sprue - you get 20, so there is some room for error (!?) I think a few substitutes will be needed..................
"Whom the gods would destroy they first make mad" may be appropriate
Dave

First Name
Scott
looks like a job for a heated blade. Curious to see how you slice them off.

Reactions: JR

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Plastic finally joined to plastic! Left & right bogies assembled - I find this plastic is very brittle......330574

Before attempting to cut the infamous B3 part, I used a 0.5mm drill to make sure the hole was the correct size. A new Swann Morton 10A blade, and........................330573
Now all I have to do, is thread each one of these onto a metal rod ( bumpy end outwards ), and secure with a drop of CA..................................330575
So far, so good.
I very nearly screwed things up! As I was concentrating hard, my phone rang ( and vibrated ) in my pocket - I jumped, but everything stayed on the bench!
I think you can safely say that this model would NOT be 'suitable for a beginner'.
I believe I have a good chance of getting the springs etc in the right place, but it won't be 'working' - bits won't stay in place without glue - and with link & length tracks, what would be the point?
Off to lie down in a darkened room..............................
Dave

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I can imagine that loads have seen "1/35 Vulcan ........" And hit the link before reading the light tank part. Lol.
I will be watching this as I am sadistic enough to try one, or the Bren carrier....:tongue-out3:

MikeC

Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Dave,
Well done and it only took six filled shot glasses to calm the nerves. Sorry my fault I should have told you where the end nuts B3 were hiding. Do not worry about this being a working suspension, I gave up trying to do that after everything went ping! into all four corners of the room, like a bloody octopus trying to catch the bits. Just remember to have it standing on a flat surface before you glue the suspension to the hull - dog having a pee stance....
Cheers, Mike.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Positively the final update of the day - I thought I'd try to assemble one bogie, complete with springs - it's very fiddly, a third hand would be useful - ended up finishing two!
The carpet monster got a few parts, but I've rescued them! That's half of the suspension done - it's all downhill from here........................
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Do you mean that it’ll be easier or that it will only get worse? :smiling3:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Now that I've proved that I can assemble that fiendish suspension, I feel much more confident! I'm going to start on the main hull, to give myself a break before finishing off the other two bogies. I want to add some crew, and in my stash, I found this.................330588
You can only see the head & shoulders of the driver, and I think the figure on the right will be OK as the commander - all I have to do is find what colours the BEF tank crew uniforms were!
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The two figures you picked have completely the wrong overalls for 1939/40, though: these are the green denim tank suits that were introduced in 1944 — you can tell by the pen pockets on the left breast and the single fly from neck to crotch. The other two, in North Africa dress, are also unsuitable because they’re wearing lightweight desert uniforms, though you can probably modify those to battledress fairly easily as long as their legs are out of sight :smiling3:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Well, the driver can only be seen head & shoulders, the commander from the belly upwards, I'm sure with a little scraping & careful painting he'll look the part..............
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
If you change the pockets to look like those of a battledress tunic, you’re probably good to go in that case.

ww2-british-p37-battledress-tunic-2077a.jpg

Shouldn’t take more than scraping down the pen holders and adding the vertical pleats with a sliver of thin plastic card or paper, I suppose.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Well, I mixed torsos up for the commander, and I find you will see even less of the driver than I thought.
So I have roughly assembled 2 figures ( I haven't cleaned up any seams! ) legs are only there so I can hold them for painting!330663

The hull of the tank has no internal detail, other than a seat for the driver...............330664330665
I have a problem that I have encountered before 1/35 scale figures being too large for 1/35 vehicles!!!!!330666
Poor fella will have to undergo some plastic surgery, and then I will box in him, with front plate & hatches - so you will only be able to see the face & upper shoulders from the front, so his battledress top will be invisible.
Dave

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Dave .
My word that suspension, say no more other than you are either mad or a man of great patience.:surprised::smiling3:

The bit about the sizes of figures in relation to the armour, the times I've struggled to get a driver in to the cab, where his head is nearly through the roof !

No detail in the internals ! You've enough with those other bits to contend with .
I'm another who thought you had started to build the plane , until I read futher .
Good luck .
John .

MikeC

Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Dave,
My word you have been busy, parts you requested in mail. It was a bit tight in there for all three crew members.... But starting to come together, I might even be tempted to dig mine out and complete it - but not yet !!!
Cheers, Mike.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Dave great work! Hope this don’t push you over the top man that suspension looks tedious

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Turret more or less assembled - up to the point where I have to add PE, and I don't feel like tackling that at the moment! 330850

Going together well, no parts fit problems ( yet )......................
Dave