DaveCov's Aoshima 1/700 IJN Seaplane Carrier Chitose (00123)

davecov

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Unbelievably, although I am in my Sixties, this is the first time I have ever made a Japanese warship. I will be building the Aoshima 1/700 IJN Seaplane Tender Chitose (00123).

IJN Chitose was launched in 1936 as a seaplane tender and her sister ship IJN Chiyoda was launched the following year. IJN Chitose was commissioned in July 1938. Early in 1941, IJN Chitose was modified to carry midget submarines by having large doors cut into the stern. After successful trials, IJN Chiyoda was similarly converted in July 1941. It is not certain if IJN Chitose carried midget submarines operationally but her sister ship did. Following the Battle of Midway, in December 1942/January 1943 both ships were converted to light carriers with IJN Chiyoda completing in October 1943 and IJN Chitose in January 1944. Both ships were lost on 25th October 1944 off Cape Engano during the Battles of Leyte Gulf.

Aoshima tooled their original 1/700 IJN Chitose in 1979 but there was a later release with re-tooled parts - including photo etch in 2013. However, my boxing is later than 2013 and does not have the photo etch. The model doesn't appear to have stern doors so I would hazard a guess that it shows IJN Chitose as she was between 1938-1941. BTW, Aoshima also make a model of IJN Chitose after her conversion to a fully-fledged light carrier so that would make for an interesting comparison build.

The GB start date is still a week away, I have to show some restraint and just display the box contents and aftermarket bits and bobs now.

Box artwork:
Aoshima_Chitose_700_2023_SM_GB_001.JPG

The box is jam-packed with parts crisply moulded in grey plastic. They come in many bags and there is also a strip of metal to glue inside the hull as ballast:
Aoshima_Chitose_700_2023_SM_GB_002.JPG

Hull pieces:
Aoshima_Chitose_700_2023_SM_GB_003.JPG

The aft deck sections. Parts for various seaplanes. Note that all have folded wings:
Aoshima_Chitose_700_2023_SM_GB_004.JPG

Forward deck sections and superstructure parts:
Aoshima_Chitose_700_2023_SM_GB_005.JPG

Cranes, davits and various decals. The large meatball decal will not be used as that was not present during the period that my build is set:
Aoshima_Chitose_700_2023_SM_GB_006.JPG

Ship's boats, armament and some more aircraft but these have unfolded wings:
Aoshima_Chitose_700_2023_SM_GB_007.JPG

Instructions Page 1 - Assembly Tips:
Aoshima_Chitose_700_2023_SM_GB_008.JPG

Instructions Page 2 - Painting and decalling profile for ship and planes:
Aoshima_Chitose_700_2023_SM_GB_009.JPG

Instructions Page 3 - Assembly Sections 1 to 4:
Aoshima_Chitose_700_2023_SM_GB_010.JPG

Instructions Page 4 - Assembly Sections 5 to 6:
Aoshima_Chitose_700_2023_SM_GB_011.JPG

Instructions Page 5 - Assembly Sections 7 to 8:
Aoshima_Chitose_700_2023_SM_GB_012.JPG

Instructions Page 6 - Assembly Section 9 and Parts List:
Aoshima_Chitose_700_2023_SM_GB_013.JPG

Here are the aftermarket bits and bobs I am using. They all come from Tom's Modelworks - Set #732 IJN Seaplane Tender, Set #762 IJN Doors & Hatches and Set #755 IJN Generic Reels:
Aoshima_Chitose_700_2023_SM_GB_014.JPG

Close up of the IJN Seaplane Tender Set frets. The main fret has parts applicable to many classes of IJN Tenders so not all parts are required for this particular build:
Aoshima_Chitose_700_2023_SM_GB_015.JPG

A second fret has railings (which I hate using) and a third fret has a crane although I do not know yet if that will be used in this build:
Aoshima_Chitose_700_2023_SM_GB_016.JPG

That is all for now. Just waiting for the starting gun....

Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
There's an awful lot of parts for a small scale model. With so many small parts and the PE it will take time, patience and a steady hand. With it being waterline are you planning a base?

davecov

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
My first progress report.

I looked through the photo-etch instructions to see which kit parts I could assemble before I had to add photo-etch. I then I removed those parts from the runners:
Aoshima_Chitose_700_2023_SM_GB_017.JPG

After cleaning up the parts, the metal ballast was glued to the hull base. The decks and superstructure were dry-fitted and fettled where necessary but they won't be glued for a while yet:
Aoshima_Chitose_700_2023_SM_GB_018.JPG

It was at this point that I started adding photo-etch. I have only been able to fit the doors so far, which conveniently were all located around the superstructure. I am away from my modelling bench now so I won't be able to provide any more updates until my return:
Aoshima_Chitose_700_2023_SM_GB_019.JPG

That is all for now.

Dave

davecov

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I finally got back to my modelling bench during the week.

Before I got building again, I took the time to browse my latest book purchase. It is "Aircraft Carriers and Seaplane Carriers" by the Kure Maritime Museum (aka Yamato Museum) and Kazushige Todaka and features "The Best from the Collection of Shizuo Fukui's Photos of Japanese Warships". It is full of stunning photos but it wasn't cheap (almost £60) so I doubt if I will buy the other five books in the series which were all at least £10 dearer:
Aoshima_Chitose_700_2023_SM_GB_020.JPG

Returning to the modelling, I have been through the photo etch and removed the parts that I will need:
Aoshima_Chitose_700_2023_SM_GB_021.JPG

I then started to assemble the plastic parts and have now reached the point where I can start painting. Originally, I was going to use my airbrush but have now decided that a hairy stick will be used instead:
Aoshima_Chitose_700_2023_SM_GB_022.JPG

That is all for now.

Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking good so far :thumb2:

Good luck with the etch Dave. I think warships are one area where it really helps, but that doesn’t make it any easier, especially at those small sizes….Oh, and don’t sneeze…..you’ll never see those tiny bits again ;)

davecov

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks everybody. :thumb2:

Construction of four seaplanes was very fiddly and took a long time to get them all done. Unfortunately, one of the side floats on the Nakajima E8N went for a flight test never to be seen again so I have done a bodge job on a replacement. That particular plane will sit inside the lift:
Aoshima_Chitose_700_2023_SM_GB_023.JPG

The Photo etch propellers were glued to the front of the engines and this photo shows the second plane's propeller is out of alignment. It has since been removed and refitted in the correct place:
Aoshima_Chitose_700_2023_SM_GB_024.JPG

PE bracing was added each side of the platform covering the aircraft service area. The PE instructions said to add two more smaller lengths of bracing fore and aft of the platform but strangely, there was only one piece of bracing left and it was the wrong length so I left it off. The four platform supports were glued to the underside of the platform but dry-fitted to the deck so ensuring that the supports were aligned correctly. That should prevent some grief when permanently fitting the platform later on in the build:
Aoshima_Chitose_700_2023_SM_GB_025.JPG

The foc'sle and quarterdeck were glued in place after a bit of fettling at the bow:
Aoshima_Chitose_700_2023_SM_GB_026.JPG

I dry-fitted the other deck sections and their fit is pretty good which should (hopefully) bode well when I eventually glue them:
Aoshima_Chitose_700_2023_SM_GB_027.JPG

That is all for now.

Dave

davecov

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Some more progress today although it was very slow.

The photo etch anchors were assembled:
Aoshima_Chitose_700_2023_SM_GB_028.JPG

The stern anchor was glued in place with the flukes pointing upwards:
Aoshima_Chitose_700_2023_SM_GB_029.JPG

The two bow anchors were glued in place but they have the flukes pointing aft:
Aoshima_Chitose_700_2023_SM_GB_030.JPG

I also put guardrails around the top of the platform and added a couple of ladders although I wasn't sure of their true location or orientation:
Aoshima_Chitose_700_2023_SM_GB_031.JPG

That is all for now.

Dave

davecov

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
A small update to report.

I worked through the photo etch pieces and folded them. In the case of the catapults, cranes and booms I didn't complete the final folds so that I can paint their interiors first:
Aoshima_Chitose_700_2023_SM_GB_032.JPG

That is all for now but I won't be back to the modelling bench until the end of the week.

Dave

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I'm in the same boat - see what I did there? I've never built a boat / ship. But every time I see one, it always interests me. That PE looks amazing, it's going to add a whole world of detail. Good stuff.