decals that decalsoft doesn't work on

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
I've just started using Revells decal soft. I've used it on two different planes from two different companies. With the Academy decals it was a complete failure and with airfix decals it did just what it says on the tin, or bottle in this case.

Question is, are the Academy decals a one off and just a poor batch or is this decal softener only good for certain makes of decals. I have kits from most of the major producers and just wondered if you guys have had similar experiences.

Tony.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I use Humbrol Decalfix. I have the same issues only with Academy decals. Even the ancient, slightly discoloured Airfix ones settle better than the Academy decals I have used. They just seem to either sit stubbornly on top of detail and not settle, or just disintegrate.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Some decals just won't react to the decal softeners. Some may over react. I always try and test with an unwanted decal from any sheet.

If your softener doesn't work you can try another brand,some are stronger than others. Alternatively you can apply home made remedies.

I've tried two but both need considerable care.

First try a good old hairdryer to soften the decal,be very careful not to soften the model!

Second is even more radical and only for the brave or desperate :smiling3:

Cellulose thinners.

You must do an experiment on an unwanted decal. Cellulose thinners is a concoction of several different solvents and can differ considerably. I tried this with the bog standard stuff from Halfords.

Don't flood the area with thinners,you will dissolve the decal and you will remove your paint. Dip a fine brush in thinners,wipe it virtually dry and carefully apply to the decal and decal film only. It's up to you to judge when this is working but start with very,very little and carefully add more.

It's easy to destroy the decal,as I found out the hard way. I also found that some bubbling can be smoothed with a water wetted brush.

Good luck.

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Mirco sol don't work that well on Academy decals either. It gets the job done to a point but takes a lot of applications. Well the ones I have had my hands on anyway.

Ian M

C

CDW

the setting agent is basically water. acetic acid (vinegar) and detergent.

its on the health and safety sheets for hospital ingestion protocols.

First Name
Adrian
\ said:
the setting agent is basically water. acetic acid (vinegar) and detergent.its on the health and safety sheets for hospital ingestion protocols.
So can I use it on my chips :smiling3:

W

wbk666

\ said:
Mirco sol don't work that well on Academy decals either. It gets the job done to a point but takes a lot of applications. Well the ones I have had my hands on anyway. Ian M
have you found anything that does work well with academy decals because i like their kits.