Deciding 2011 GB subjects

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fenlander

Many thanks to all that have sent in ideas for setting up a calendar for 2011 Group Builds. I will be listing these ideas initially to get a breakdown as to the variety on offer. I will not be saying who suggested what as it is the selection of a subject that matters more than who suggested it. So, initially there are so many suggestions, some quite diverse that they may suit a SIG (Special Interest Group) build for a few enthusiasts rather than a Group Build (GB).

OK, in a rough breakdown, the suggestions fit in as follows.

Theatres:-

Pacific, Yom Kippur War, WWI, Desert Storm, Battle of Britain, Normandy Campaign, Operation Market Garden

General:

It Floats, Civilian Transport, Landing Craft with Load, Truck/Trailer with Load, Aircraft/Helicopter with load, Blackhawk down (any Helicopter downed and under fire), Grease Monkeys (any vehicle being repaired at the front, small workshop under fire)

Even more General:

At Rest (Any theatre or a specific one), Based on a photo, based on a film, Gearing up (a vehicle of any type being prepared, could be military or not), Battle at sea.

Specific subject type:

Sniper, Mistel Aircraft, Wing Walker (none military), Figures (None Military), Kit Bash (Conversion), Aircraft Carrier, Soldier carrying wounded comrade (or as a twist helping a wounded adversary), Night Fighter.

As you can see there is indeed quite some diversity and some would need clarification as to limitations, for example a Film subject, could it be any film or would we be talking War film only?

However, before it could be put to a vote, we have to break it down a bit to end up with four GB subjects and, possibly, a couple of SIG subjects.

No easy task as obviously members have some strong feelings about the type of thing they want to do and even stronger, ones they don't.

So, without going into deep discussions, can you just say which two from each of the sections above you may be interested in having a go at? This will break it down so that it can be voted on later.

D

dm73

Hi Graham,

some nice subjects in that little lot, i'm going for:

Theatres - Pacific, Desert Storm

General - Truck/trailer with load, grease monkeys

Even more general - Based on a photo, battle at sea

Specific - Sniper, Aircraft carrier.

Cheers

Darren

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Those who know me here will know I'll have a bash at just about anything. My only reservation would be making it too technically challenging.For example a kit bash or even a Mistel (from two different kits) might be a bridge too far for some modellers. I've been toying with making a Mistel from an Fw190 and Ju88 in 1/32 for a while but it is a massive undertaking which involves a lot of research and scratch building and the idea of trying to do it in a GB scenario is a bit scarey!

I'm all for stretching people but I wouldn't want anyone to be put off having a go,it would be quite contrary to the ethos of this forum.

FWIW I would go with the idea of a theatre or campaign. This allows for people to build a variety of subjects under the same umbrella. I also like the idea of more specific and seperate SIG builds where we could all build a particular airplane/boat/car/bike/figure or whatever. In both cases I'd leave the scale open.

Cheers

Steve

L

Lancasterb1

A great line up there Graham, covering a variety of subjects, I would dearly love to join in one of the builds, but couldn't even get the 1/72 Hurricane built in the Not a GB category, because of work and other ongoing bits and pieces. How many GB's are you looking at doing, will it be one per season, for want of a better time frame. I note that you have said four, to go to the vote, so it may well be that I can fit one or two in :dontknow:. I will of course cast my vote, but do not want to cast avote for something that I cannot join in and complete in time. So will the vote be for every subject for that particular GB? I suppose if it is then not a problem because one can see the way ahead and take part if the time permits :D

Andy

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Battle of Britain and Normandy

F

Fenlander

Desert Storm, Normandy Campaign

General:

Truck/Trailer with Load, Grease Monkeys (any vehicle being repaired at the front, small workshop under fire)

Even more General:

At Rest (Any theatre or a specific one), Based on a photo

Specific subject type:

Sniper, Aircraft Carrier

SIG I would like to see a variety,

A motor bike, a car or recreational vehicle, could be a 4x4 or a VW Bus. Military subject would possibly be the Mistel either a kit or conversion, wouldn't matter, and possibly a Modern Armour I.E. Arab Israeli to present day (IDF Super Sherman anyone????)

Remember that SIGs are just for those who want to take part, as is all GB, but if you want to take part in the GBs but feel that the SIGs are of no interest, that is fine. You may want to concentrate on SIGs and miss a couple of GBs. None of this is compulsory, no one has to do one, no one is forced to do anything, it is all down to your choice if you join in or not.

The four GBs will run for three months each starting with the first one in January. Sigs can be run simultaneously at any time.

Only thing I would say is that if there is not enough interest to break it down into a formal list, we will just keep this whole list, forget the GB idea and people can pick and chose anything from it just taking it as a source for inspiration.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Theatres: Normandy, Market Garden

General: Truck/trailer with load, Grease monkeys

More General: Based on a photo, based on a film

Specific: Kit bash, Figures

Those would be my choices ...

I'm actually a little surprised that there wasn't more diversity - Sci-Fi?, motor racing? Something for the SIG builds?

Cheers

Paul

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Theatres: WWI, BOB

General: Truck/trailer. (Why with a load?) Grease Monkey but why should it be 'at the front?' or maybe 'if it floats'

More gereral: From a photo Battle at sea.

Specific: Kit bash, Figures

and hopefully No scale restrictions.

@paul. The diversity can still come yet. If you take some of the subjects they can be very openly translated. EG any of the non theatre military could well be sci-fi, as could the civilian stuff....

R

roconnell

WWI, Battle of Britain,

General:

It Floats, Grease Monkeys (any vehicle being repaired at the front, small workshop under fire)

Even more General:

At Rest (Any theatre or a specific one), Based on a photo, based on a film, Gearing up (a vehicle of any type being prepared, could be military or not)

Specific subject type:

Sniper, Soldier carrying wounded comrade (or as a twist helping a wounded adversary)

Hopefully nothing to complicated here, look forward to taking part in some builds. Did like the sound of some of the others but push come to shove think there is plenty here I would enjoy. Just cant guarantee i would finish in time as still learning and slow but will give it a bash.

Cheers

Rich

F

Fenlander

I have been thinking about the Sci Fi stuff and even Fantasy figures. I know that some on here do them and I would like to see them more showcased so if you do Sci Fi etc, stick 'em on, inspire others to have a go.

Certainly consider it for SIGs as you can have as many SIGs running as you want. This is a Scale Models Forum so, with the possibility of being shot down as to how you decide what scale a dragon is, anything goes really.

A

andygh

Difficult but I’d go with the following

Theatres: WWI, Operation Market Garden

General: It Floats, Truck/Trailer with Load

Even more General: Based on a photo, based on a film

Specific subject type: Sniper, Mistel Aircraft,

Also I quite fancy having a go at a bit of sci-fi for a change

N

noble

More suggestions,(1) WWI seems to be a forgotten topic,(2) battle at sea (3) The pacific campaign (4) Iraq/ Afganistan (5) The yom kippur war. For a general topic The warrior. Sci fantasy the guyver.

Last edited:
K

Kressy13

Hi guys,

This is what i would like to see done

Theatres:[/b

Desert Storm, Normandy Campaign

General:

It Floats, Blackhawk down (any Helicopter downed and under fire)

Even more General:

Based on a photo, Gearing up (a vehicle of any type being prepared, could be military or not)

Specific subject type:

Mistel Aircraft, Kit Bash (Conversion)

Cheers

Kresten

J

JFJ

I think a night fighter GB will be a nice idea. We've never done this before ( I think)

T

treyzx10r

\ said:
I think a night fighter GB will be a nice idea. We've never done this before ( I think)
I'm with Adrian this would be a wide arena of aircraft

A

andygh

Any news on the outcome yet? It's gonna be too late to put in my letter to Santa soon

F

Fenlander

I will be setting up the poll soon Andy. We have only had 8 complete replies, I was hoping for double figures. So, based on the assumption that those who have entered the GB before but not expressed an interest here, I can only assume that they either don't mind or will be willing to go with what is decided.

I will set up the poll tonight or tomorrow.

L

Lancasterb1

Hi Graham

I like the idea of a Nightfighter, there are some great kits out there both German and British, subjects as well as a smattering of American and Japanese. Or even Early war Bombers . such as Whitleys. Hampdens, MkI Halifax or Blenheims, Fairey Battles?

Or if there is a general area, what about 1939-41 or 1914-1916, the latter not giving much to choose, but aircraft had certainly developed by then.

Channel Front?

Just a few idea's to throw into the pot.

Andy

P

Plastickitbasher

Mr slow model maker lol still working on the BoB GB that wasn't!! Happy to join in but will be slow as work and traverling around for at the moment.

F

Fenlander

No worries David. These are not part of the Olympics, just inspiration. People have different time constraints and any reasonable GB on any reasonable Forum (like this one) appreciates that fact. Just do what you can or want and if it takes a tad longer than three months, so what. It isn't a race, it isn't a competition, it all about modelling and enjoying it so no pressure at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.