Defending the Gustav line , may '44' new photos

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Cheers guys I appreciate the comments:smiling3:

\ said:
Good looking dio I agree with others about more rubble ,the one thing i noticed when first saw it is the rubble seems to be blended together and not seperate lumps of rubble hope my comments are of some help.
thanks Barry it's hard to get acurate rubble from old photos so I just copied it , how could I seperate the rubble for the next time I do it ?

First Name
barry
\ said:
Cheers guys I appreciate the comments:smiling3:
thanks Barry it's hard to get acurate rubble from old photos so I just copied it , how could I seperate the rubble for the next time I do it ?
Hi Alan , i think the easy way is get a lump of concrete or old brick and crush it all up till you get the size lumps you want ,use wall filler to make mounds where you want them when dry mix some carpenters ( white glue or wood glue) with water to make a thickish paste brush it all over your mounds and before it dries sprinkle your crushed bits all over so you have your rubble with gaps inbetwen when dryish wash a very thin mix of wood glue inbetwene gaps to bind it all together you can also add any dust from your crushing and sprinkle it on in places but not to much in the gaps or you will finish up like your first dio.

Just try it on a scrap piece of base to see how it looks . have a look through dioramas on this site to get some ideas .

Hope that helps.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Cheers guys :smiling3:

\ said:
Hi Alan , i think the easy way is get a lump of concrete or old brick and crush it all up till you get the size lumps you want ,use wall filler to make mounds where you want them when dry mix some carpenters ( white glue or wood glue) with water to make a thickish paste brush it all over your mounds and before it dries sprinkle your crushed bits all over so you have your rubble with gaps inbetwen when dryish wash a very thin mix of wood glue inbetwene gaps to bind it all together you can also add any dust from your crushing and sprinkle it on in places but not to much in the gaps or you will finish up like your first dio.
Just try it on a scrap piece of base to see how it looks . have a look through dioramas on this site to get some ideas .

Hope that helps.
that's largely what I did but stuck it a bit close so spacing is what I'll be looking at next time thanks for the info:smiling3:

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Great dio Alan love everything about it. I have to say that the building deserves a special mention as you really achieved the burnt out look you were looking for as it looks very convincing.One to be very proud of mate well done cheers John

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Cheers John I appreciate that :smiling3:

Psst come here I'll let you into a secrete about the house , I built that a number of years ago and it was a terrible build and the weathering is too hide the worse parts off it , so keep that between me and you ok mate ;)

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Doing a bit of catching up on threads....

I like the layout Alan, plenty going on.

I don't usually like posting comments / suggestions - just in case, but as you asked for them regarding the rubble in your opening post, I feel you won't mind, and the following advise is given in an honest way which I hope will be of some help......

The rubble looks a bit like lumps of concrete, sort of ready mixed look. I think it needs to look more bitty and rubble like. As Barry writes, break up some bits and bobs from around the garden. Get some scrap bits of wood and cut into various lengths and thicknesses. Plenty of dust too. Try and imagine the building when it was intact and then get in your mind's eye just where the debris would fall....Don't be frightened of adding too much muck. I like the stuff knee deep!

The trouble with looking at pictures of damaged buildings and the associated rubble is you try and copy the image, thus loosing the free flow, so by all means use pictures as a reference, but do your own thing and just fling whatever on the base, otherwise it'll look stunted and won't look right.

See your tank? It sorts of sits there, dead flat on the base and the rubble looks like it's been swept away from it, all neat like. There is nothing underneath. If you can, remove the tank, spray a bit of diluted pva on the road and sling a handful of bits where the tank was. Then re-spray the rubble. Press the tank into this mixture and give the model a wiggle. This will bed the tank in, rather than on the debris - and try and give the tank an angle, be it tilted or up and down, side to side....or both! This will bring more life into the tank's position.

The above is in no way a criticism of a great go at the rubble, just a couple of pointers to help with your next build. Just remember a diorama such as yours needs tons of rubble, literally!

Pile it up high and proud....

I hope the above is of some use and is written with the very best intentions.

Ron

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Cheers Ron I'll take that on board for next time :smiling3:

Unfortunately the tank is well and truly stuck down and the board is deceptive in its size if I could move it it would take up too much room , I did try different position when sorting the board it is quite a big model , I hadn't planned to do a dio I had built the tank a good week or so before , if I had of thought about it at the time I would have altered the tracks to show it on uneven ground like I have done with my M3 Stuart build

Thanks for the pointers mate I appreciate it :smiling3:

C

callmehobbes

Good composition as well. Do you have any photos of the house interior -that's the bit Im struggling with and need the most inspiration.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I like what you have done mate, the additions have added to the scene perfectly. Nice work.

Si:smiling3:

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Superb!!

Great work on the rubble and debris!! :smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Cheers guys I think it's one or two bits away from being ready for the show :smiling3:

First Name
Gregg
Definitely looking good.

Lots to look at and take in.

Gregg