detail sets

R

rjwood_uk

right, seeing as i have no idea where to look and every possible way of searching for them has ended up with nothing i will ask you guys.

im going to get the tamiya 1:48 A2 salamander

http://www.netmerchants.co.uk/product.php/9645/540/

i was wondering if anyone can find me some p/e detail set for this kit or resin cockpit...anything. Just want some extra detail!!!

im sure colin can help but he is on here once in a blue moon!

also seeing as im going to be doing this f-16 cockpit i thought it would be nice to do an f-16.

can anyone point me in the direction of a nice f-16 kit (not the horrible USAF white and red one...just a plane grey one!!) (1:48th) and also some extra detail (resin and/or p.e) for one!!!

and yes i know i could just get the usaf one and paint it a different colour but im not sure if it would come with any different decals and where to get extra decal sets from!!!!

(anyone have a link to somewhere that does extra decal sets??)

thanks.

Richard

R

rjwood_uk

ok nevermind about the f-16 iv found one the hasegawa 1:48 4-16N

http://www.jonbryon.com/f16n.html

ok, now for extra detail aires do a resin cockpit for the hasegawa kit which looks quite good.

also verlinden do a p/e cockbit detailing set (i wouldnt need this if i got the resin cockpit would i???)

verlinden also do 1:48 f-16 super detail p/e set for the f-16....would this be able to be used on any 1:48th kit?

am i right in thinking pogo did this???

View attachment 14451

View attachment 14452

View attachment 14453

air4191.jpg

VL0387.jpg

VL0375.jpg

S

squiffythewombat

Richard, i can get all of those for you :smiling:

F-16's... the best in my opinion at 1:48th are the Hasegawa's, although the Academy versions are not too shabby either.

Some of the best detail sets i think are the Pavla resin ones. They are very finely cast with great detail and little air bubbles. Ive heard from a few customers they can be quite fiddly and break easily if you drop them but the end result is very good.

Eduard also do some fine PE stuff for the F-16, mainly you get cockpit and surfaces extras with more fins and detail for the afterburners. Much the same to use as the stuff you had for your boat! Really nice and good end results but i personally prefer resin.

You wouldnt need both the resin set and the cockpit set really. There might be a couple of tiny parts that one has and the other doesnt but for the extra outlay it wouldnt be worth it as 90% of it would be duplicate parts.

As for verlinden, they do some nice stuff but I think its quite expensive for what your getting.

Box art from the Italer 1:48th version:

0840S.jpg

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy RJ,

Well, Having looked exhaustively thru my "Squadron" catalog ( www.squadron.com ) I still couldnt find a detail set for the salamander. This catalog has page after page of photo etched detail parts by EDUARD, EXTRA TECH, VP, TRUE DETAILS, TOMS MODEL WORKS, sQUADRON PRODUCTS, CMK DETAILS, ILIAD DWSIGN.

Now I havent dont a google search on these companies, but maybe since I have given you the names of some "detail" manufacturers, you could look some of them up and see if they have a catalog or even better an online catalog.

And, if you don't know of "Squadron", or have never ordered from them, you might email them and request a catalog. (catalog says it cost $5 US, but I got mine for free, I told them I used to be a big customer of theirs back in the mid 90's, which is true) their email addy is:

E-MAIL ORDERS:

mailorder@squadron.com

PHONE ORDERS:

Toll Free for USA Customers: 1-877-414-0434

For International Customers: + 1-972-242-8663

Now open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week!!!

FAX ORDERS:

972- 242- 3775

24 hours a day - 7 days a week

MAIL ORDERS:

Squadron Mail Order

1115 Crowley Drive

Carrollton, TX 75011-5010

USA

Also note the international phone number above, you could call them and request their catalog.

Like I said, they have alot of photo etched and detail parts in their catalog not to mention 108 pages of models, thirty six of which are full color.

ps. this link tells abit about the company, 51,000 sq ft of space, $2,000,000 worth of product in stock. http://www.squadron.com/Company.htm

hope this helps, have a good day,

Greg aka GW

N

Nigel.D

Dont get the tam 162 get the revell 1/32 one it is superb (i got one trust me ) and detail sets abound for it

R

rjwood_uk

ok thanks for that nigel, what is the cockpit detail, jet detail like on the revel one?

this kit will come after the f-16 anyway so plenty of time to have a look around!!!

N

Nigel.D

The detail is superb engine and cockpit !!! and they can be had for £12.99 at modelzone

B

Bunkerbarge

I made one of these as a teenager which I think was an Airfix kit (it was 1/72nd anyway) but the attraction to me was that I always thought the thing looked like it shouldn't fly!!

Then when you look at the Me 163!!!!