Different types of puttys and fillers ?

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
I've recently got some vallejo filler and have used it on the Airfix Ju 88 I'm currently building, lots of filler needed.

When I dry sand it it is quite hard and takes some time to sand down, but when I wet sand it, it comes off really easily, too much sometimes, and I'm having to reapply it.

Is this stuff a water based filler, and whats the difference, if any, between this stuff and squadron green/white putty ?

Any help would be gratefully recieved.

Tony.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I've never used Vallejo but have used squadron green and it is easy to sand, but then best one I've found is tamiya, I stock it when I can get it which is not very often

First Name
Dave
Don't know the difference although it hasn't got any nasty solvents in it like the Squadron stuff.Ive found it quite hard to sand and prefer the Squadron green.Mr Surfacer 500 is quite nice to work with.Although its only any use on tiny gaps and scratches.Don't find it much use on most of the kits I build .

R

Richy C

Having used the Vallejo filler myself its a pig to use and have gone back to milliput and squadron filler , I`ve tried wet and dry sanding normal sanding nothing works for me with this stuff , maybe why its so cheap ? , I can`t knock anything else from the Vallejo range mind you.

cheers

Richy

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Thanks for the replies guys. Like Richy says I can't fault vallejo paints and thought this would be of the same standard.

Never mind back to the squadron green.

Tony.

T

tecdes

I think that there are a load of fillers & you have to choose the one for the task presented at the time.

I use Vallejo filler very succesfully. Not for large joints but area which do not need any structural strength. Where say a panel is fitted but the gap is slightly more than a panel seam or where a little addon does not quite fit to a wing or fuselage but again does not reply on strength.

I fill the gap with Vallejo Filler pressing well into the joint reapplying to make up until slightly proud. Then I wipe a wet finger down the joint ,clean finger, rewet & continue until the filler is the right height & smooth. A bit of adjustment if necessary, not usual, when dry I use a wet & dry to smooth.

Definetley not for use in my book in large joints or lumps. You can prolong the period while it is still soft by using Vallejo thinners or their air brush cleaner.

Do not usually have large gaps to fill with filler. I normally use cut sprue or card to fill a joint using Tamiya extra thin quite liberally to soften the sprue or card welding it to the wing fuselage joint for instance. Depebding on the result I may use Vallejo FIller as a aesthetic filler as the joint has been given strength by the car or sprue filler.

For fine joints I use Mr Surfacer 500 which I have found to be a great filler. Mainly as I have found it has the same hardness/softness of the model plastic. Does not flake away when wet & dried & also sands to a feather thickness. I will re-apply a number of times to get a finish which is invisible after applying paint.

Laurie

First Name
Andy
I use the Squadron White first, sand down and then after my first primer coat I tend to use the Vallejo filler as a Stopper, it helps fill in the tiny pin holes etc, I wet sand that down with 800 wet and dry and then after another primer coat I use the Mr Surfacer 500, wet sand with 1200 wet and dry, light prime coat to equal the colours out and then top coat...