DISPLAYING AND DUST !

First Name
NEIL
Hi - any tips on displaying aircraft to keep dust free and removing dust? I mostly make 1/48 scale WW2 aircraft and British jets. I have bought 2 glass display cabinets (at great expense!) which are fine for most of my models but the larger ones don't fit - and guess what ? They gather dust! I use a camera lens brush but the dust degrades and fades the paintwork and decals. I remove propeller blades and make my models wheels up and use acrylic plate stands to display.
My cabinets are nearly full and I can't afford/don't have space for another so displaying new models is becoming and issue.

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
I use a very soft (paint)brush to whipe the dust off, also a gloss or satin finish helps removing dust easier, a matt finish is a bad idea when not put in a cabinet.
Cheers

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Most annoying I have to say Neil . Those with cabinets with glass/ perspex doors have the right idea. Having mine in the cave with all that goes on with building dioramas there is a lot of dust . Buildings along with vehicles and figures are too delicate to even use even a small hand held vac. I'd suck up most of the debris :crying:.
Think Steven has the right idea , the small brush . Never thought about the varnish !

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELL HI Neil ive got the same problem with my big 6ft warships they gather dust like heck an ive treid to use a camera mini vac an no success an ive also done like Steven said usein a soft paint brush but an not great as when gently brushin all that happens is yes the dust gets moved but then just settles back on the decks so yes its a heck of a job to clean up a model wish i could help more but no joy
chrisb

First Name
NEIL
Thanks guys - the microfibre brush and airbrush sound interesting. I have also acquired a "puffer' which I will try next time i need to. Never thought of varnish but doesn't that just yellow over time?

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Too true, but they are easier to carefully dust w/makeup brush & puffer.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Dusting off with any kind of brush...air or with bristles is only temporary relief. Sealed glass cases or cabinets are the only way for me. Best for dioramas.

Cheers,
Wabble

Bri62

SMF Supporter
First Name
Brian
img20230921133555-jpg.491207

No dust here :smiling3: