DKM Scharnhorst 1943 - 1/350 Dragon Kit + extras

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Excellent hull painting Derek.

I notice you mention spraying the main deck. Does this mean you've dispensed with the aftermarket wooden one? I can't find a reference to the fitting of it in your excellent build reports...

....or have I completely lost the plot, missed it, and it's been fitted earlier?

C

Caledonia

\ said:
Excellent hull painting Derek.
I notice you mention spraying the main deck. Does this mean you've dispensed with the aftermarket wooden one? I can't find a reference to the fitting of it in your excellent build reports...

....or have I completely lost the plot, missed it, and it's been fitted earlier?
Hi Ron, Thanks for your kind words, much appreciated. I mentioned earlier in the build that I was abandoning the wooden deck, this is for a couple of reasons.

1). Unlike the KGV build which had all of the small deck fittings already molded on as part of the deck, the Scharnhorst had none molded on, so this would have meant fixing the fittings to the wood, which I didn't like the sound of.

2). The KGV only had a timber weather deck, whereas the Scharnhorst had many smaller wooden decks scattered all over the superstructure as well. Since there were many ladders etc. which landed on the decks, the decks would have had to be pre-fitted which would have given me nightmares with the subsequent painting of the superstructure; so for me anyway, I found going for a painted deck was the simpler route(I hope).

So you haven't lost the plot Ron. Best wishes Derek

D

Deleted member 4539

I'm with Ron on this.Very nice work on the hull.

All that masking for very little spraying. :smiling3:

C

Caledonia

Thanks for viewing Ralph,

This week I have been painting the camo and decks of the FWD superstructure, also the Deck Fittings. Will add as much of the rigging as possible before fitting to the Deck, but before that I will paint the rear superstructure camo and deck. Derek

B127.jpg

B128.jpg

B129.jpg

B130.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Very neat all round work Derek. Very impressive.

To my eye, the scale plastic planking on the superstructure decks looks spot on. The caulking ( In my opinion) is just right - barely visible. I'm sure the main deck will look just as good close up....

As for the cammo - magic!

C

Caledonia

Thanks to you all for your kind comments, it's very much appreciated.

Roger, first I airbrushed the two lighter shades of grey, and sharpened up the boundary where they met with a 3mm Revell flat brush, which I also used to paint the darkest grey and deck. One reason I stick to Lifecolor paint is that I find Tamiya and Mr Color paints end up different shades depending if you airbrush or hand brush, but I find there is no colour shift with Lifecolor. Derek

First Name
Robert
Just caught up with this and although I don't build ships ( I can see why now ) the detail is unbelievable really it is, I am in awe

I'll be staying tuned to watch the rest of this build develop

She is definatly a beauty

Kind regards

Robert

C

Caledonia

Thanks Robert, appreciate your comments, hope I don't disappoint.

This week I have been painting the Aft superstructure. Dragons instructions are pretty vague in the boat deck area so what I have shown probably is not accurate. I also painted the Turrets and all of the ships boats. I think the motorized ships boats underwater area should be painted black, but I am not sure if I will attempt this as it is difficult to get a straight clean line. Derek

B131.jpg

B132.jpg

B133.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
That does look nice Derek. Keep the explanations etc., and pictures coming....All good stuff.

C

Caledonia

Thanks Ron for your continued encouragement.

Haven’t had much modelling time this week due to illness. I used the ‘window glazing’ product on all of the bridge windows, ships boats windows, and searchlights.

The first photo shows the glazing material just applied to the bridge windows and still wet. Note on the searchlight above the bridge windows I have used the PE bezel rather than the clear plastic lens provided in the kit, inside the searchlight was painted aluminium. The second photo shows the dried glazing material on both the bridge windows and searchlight.

Looking at the photos on the screen, I see that I still have some touch-up painting to do. Amazing how you never see these little areas before you post the pictures.

The other two photos show the superstructures populated with the armament, ships boats, winches etc.

As an aside, since it is the 75th anniversary of the HMS Hood tragedy on 24th May this year, I bought this kit this week, always wanted to try a 1/700 kit as it may solve my storage problems. Must say at first glance I am pleasantly surprized at the detail on the kit which contains 429 pieces, and even more so with the Flyhawk super detail PE set which contains over 700 items.

Derek

B134.jpg

B135.jpg

B136.jpg

B137.jpg

K1.jpg