Doug's 1/72 Revell Halifax II

D

Doug Hughes

I've finally finished this one. You can find the build thread here. I used the Freightdog improvements kit for the cowlings, intakes, wheels and props/spinners. Apart from that, I had to reshape the HS2 radar fairing and fill in some of the 'port holes' and windows. The decals are from the kit and I used the Eduard canopy masks.

It was a strange kit to build - lots of inaccuracies, of which I only fixed some, but it went together beautifully. There a lots parts for versions which are not reflected in the instructions. If I'd followed them to the letter it would have had glider towing apparatus, I believe, and the .5 inch gun in the nose is included but is not mentioned in the instructions. The decals are a bit stiff and therefore rather prone to silvering.

Despite (perhaps because of) some of the drawbacks, I had a great time building this.P1000589.JPG P1000590.JPG P1000591.JPG P1000592.JPG P1000593.JPG P1000594.JPG P1000595.JPG P1000596.JPG P1000597.JPG P1000598.JPG

B

Builder

A thing of beauty Doug!. Fantastic paint job. Excellent work on the panel lines, and perfect job on the canopy. I love good clean aircraft with great paint jobs and highlighted panel lines and yours is one of the best examples of this.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
That has come out really nice Doug. The panel lines looks great. In all, your build is quite inspiring.

D

dubster72

That's really really good Doug! Everything cried out quality, from the attention to detail to the crisp paintwork.

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Don't see many of these and this ones a cracker well done Doug great job.

J

John Rixon

I've finally finished this one. You can find the build thread here. I used the Freightdog improvements kit for the cowlings, intakes, wheels and props/spinners. Apart from that, I had to reshape the HS2 radar fairing and fill in some of the 'port holes' and windows. The decals are from the kit and I used the Eduard canopy masks.

It was a strange kit to build - lots of inaccuracies, of which I only fixed some, but it went together beautifully. There a lots parts for versions which are not reflected in the instructions. If I'd followed them to the letter it would have had glider towing apparatus, I believe, and the .5 inch gun in the nose is included but is not mentioned in the instructions. The decals are a bit stiff and therefore rather prone to silvering.

Despite (perhaps because of) some of the drawbacks, I had a great time building this.View attachment 275152 View attachment 275153 View attachment 275154 View attachment 275155 View attachment 275156 View attachment 275157 View attachment 275158 View attachment 275159 View attachment 275160 View attachment 275161
This is really beautiful, such a great scheme, and brilliantly painted!

R

Rik101

A thing of beauty Doug!. Fantastic paint job. Excellent work on the panel lines, and perfect job on the canopy. I love good clean aircraft with great paint jobs and highlighted panel lines and yours is one of the best examples of this.

I couldn't agree more. The panel lines are just perfect, they show all the detail without being "in your face".

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Love it, clean and very nicely finished. Great job Doug

J

John Rixon

You know, when I was about 7, I got a Sunderland for Christmas, and my dad built it - really beautifully - and I used to climb on a stool to have a sneaky look at it when no one was around. It was in the same camo scheme, and looking at your Halifax has really triggered that frisson of excitement I had. It makes me think I'd like to build a Sunderland now, but I'm guessing it's a real dog of a kit by now...?

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Incredible build in the end, lovely clean looking example. You can be proud.

First Name
Robert
I have the exact model in build stage ? Painting but still far from complete ( I hope I can achieve this level of perfection
Brilliant and really love the clean lines to it
100% awesome

Regards

Robert

D

Doug Hughes

I have the exact model in build stage ? Painting but still far from complete ( I hope I can achieve this level of perfection
Brilliant and really love the clean lines to it
100% awesome

Regards

Robert
Thanks Robert - good luck!

B

BigZimmo

It's an outstanding built, Doug. And aircrafts of the coastal command are not to be seen so often. Well done, mate!!

:smiling3: