Dragon 1/35 Panzer III ausf J Initial Production

D

dubster72

Well one build is never enough, so here's one that I've been working on for a while, off & on.

Pz_Kpfw_III_Ausf_J_initial_prod_Dragon_35143_35th.jpg

This is an excellent kit, the detail is fantastic. As with most recent Dragon kits, the instructions leave a lot to be desired & there's so many unused parts that the combination can lead to mucho confusion!

As is my wont, I start with the lower hull & tracks. I prefer this method as fitting the tracks after the fenders are on can be extremely tricky.

First a coat of German Grey, followed by a medium grey to add depth.

imageproxy.php

Then I added some dust effect with my airbrush using Tamiya Buff

Next up, I began to make up the Magic Tracks.

Using masking tape as a backing makes it easy to bend the track run around the sprockets & add sag. Once the cement has cured, there's still enough flexibility to remove them for painting.

Thanks for looking in

Patrick

F

Fenlander

Oooo, nice one Patrick.  These earlier tanks don't get covered enough as many, myself included, tend to go for the bigger ones.  It's a shame really as these are the ancestors of Panthers, Tigers and today's Leopards.  Perhaps we should show more respect to the elders!  

D

dubster72

Oooo, nice one Patrick.  These earlier tanks don't get covered enough as many, myself included, tend to go for the bigger ones.  It's a shame really as these are the ancestors of Panthers, Tigers and today's Leopards.  Perhaps we should show more respect to the elders!  

I guess the superiority of the later German tanks has its special mystique Graham. Personally I love the P III in all it's variations. I'm thinking of doing a DAK one soon.

D

dubster72

So, jumping ahead a few steps I've begun to build up the turret interior.

The back end of the 5cm main gun

The front end

The mantlet

Turret interior, which includes the ventilator & vision blocks

Finally the commander's cupola

Cheers

Patrick

A

american

Very professional job I see here, like all your models! I will watch tis work with great interest! Like it a lot!

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Wow, this really has come together quick!

Really nicely done Patrick. The kit is excellent (I have the Ausf.M in my stash) and you're clearly enjoying the build. The track links and cupola periscopes are real high points of the kit - the finished model will be superb.

Great stuff

P

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
very nice with this one Patrick,do real like the dust look on the lower hull,

very good with the track sag as well,real liking the look of this one,keep up the good work, :smiling3:

D

dubster72

Wow, this really has come together quick!

Really nicely done Patrick. The kit is excellent (I have the Ausf.M in my stash) and you're clearly enjoying the build. The track links and cupola periscopes are real high points of the kit - the finished model will be superb.

Great stuff

P

Thanks Paul. I really do love modern Dragon kits. In some ways they're somewhat over-engineered & tricky to build, but the detail is fantastic. 

The bolt holes on the turret aren't just holes-even the screw head is visible! Little things like that are what makes the extra cost worth paying IMHO ;)

D

dubster72

very nice with this one Patrick,do real like the dust look on the lower hull,

very good with the track sag as well,real liking the look of this one,keep up the good work, :smiling3:

Thank you Monica. I'm trying to keep up with your building speed!  9_9

F

Fenlander

I hold you personally responsible that I spent two hours last night looking for kits of Panzer I to Panzer IV

J

John Rixon

This was one of my favourite builds! Can't recommend it enough.

image.jpeg

really nicely detailed kit, a joy to build and paint!

L

Leighbo

Good fast progress so far and what's not to like it's a Panzer from Dragon, perfect!