Dragon Tiger Initial Production

J

John Rixon

Well, after a little break, due to family bereavement and all the awful flak that accompanies it, I got back on to putting the finishing touches on this long build! I an say it has been the most enjoyable painting experience, as I've experimented with different techniques, most of which will become my norm (well, for now, at least). I've had the usual learning curve as far as the build is concerned, mostly in the axles and wheels, which have spoiled it a bit, the stub axles fit is a bit sloppy, and I got too concerned with the level of the axles, thus missing that one or two were slightly, and I mean slightly out of alignment in the other direction, i.e. forward to back. But we live and learn, and I did get very cross with myself for missing this, all too late, as I put the wheels on at the last moment!!!

Tiger fin.jpg

TigerFin2.jpg

TigerFin5.jpg

TigerFin6.jpg

I wish I could find a way of fixing pigments better, I really think that they portray mud and dirt beautifully, but, by their nature, the surface is delicate. Varnishing over them doesn't work, and being more liberal with the pigment fixer, whilst it works, leaves ugly tide marks on the paint surface, which isn't easy to remove without damaging the surface below...

Anyway, feel free to comment!

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Lovely work John, like the mud caked effect. Top work mate, my new 1/16 RC Tiger is going to have the same regiment markings: the 502nd heavy panzer battalion.

F

Fenlander

That is one down and dirty kitty John. Another one of those builds where the weight of the vehicle is nicely portrayed.

The only thing I can think of to prevent tide marks is to cover the whole thing even where there are no pigments, really flood it. No edges, no tide marks.

J

John Rixon

\ said:
That is one down and dirty kitty John. Another one of those builds where the weight of the vehicle is nicely portrayed.
The only thing I can think of to prevent tide marks is to cover the whole thing even where there are no pigments, really flood it. No edges, no tide marks.
Yeah, I did think of this, but chickened out, mainly because I feared it would look like a thin varnish on the bits with no pigments. I ought to paint up a plastic bottle and experiment more!

I also think that, although it would be a really lengthy process, I can do it all with oil paints, but dust it with pigments as the oils start to cure, the pigments will grip and stick to some of the surface, and that'll

give the unique effect - hopefully!! Onwards and upwards eh?!

J

John Rixon

\ said:
Lovely work John, like the mud caked effect. Top work mate, my new 1/16 RC Tiger is going to have the same regiment markings: the 502nd heavy panzer battalion.
Thanks! It was a really satisfying build, in many respects. But I have mixed feelings for Dragon now, the good points are really good, but the down-sides are, for that money (circa £55!) they are, to be frank, unacceptable. A lot of new tool, but boxed up with some (very) old tool! Also, by the time I got it, a whole heap of really cool goodies that were mentioned in the 3 reviews I read, had disappeared. Not even any engine grilles on the tiny P.E. supplied. Grrrrr!

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Thanks! It was a really satisfying build, in many respects. But I have mixed feelings for Dragon now, the good points are really good, but the down-sides are, for that money (circa £55!) they are, to be frank, unacceptable. A lot of new tool, but boxed up with some (very) old tool! Also, by the time I got it, a whole heap of really cool goodies that were mentioned in the 3 reviews I read, had disappeared. Not even any engine grilles on the tiny P.E. supplied. Grrrrr!
I admit that for that price you would expect better, sounds like they offer loads in the reviews then the bean counters get involved and they lose money so ditch stuff.

J

John Rixon

\ said:
I admit that for that price you would expect better, sounds like they offer loads in the reviews then the bean counters get involved and they lose money so ditch stuff.
Yup, the review boxes had a brass bucket, ammo, cables, metal shackles, Linked tracks (to be frank, I wasn't sorry to see this!!) metal barrel, the list goes on. And the box I got had illustrations on the side with the new contents, so it was a clear decision to remove all the goodies. Fair play if they'd dropped the price to, say, £35. There's a couple of vids on YT that I saw that had a bloke ranting on about the shennanigans that Dragon gets up to in this respect, must find it...

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Yup, the review boxes had a brass bucket, ammo, cables, metal shackles, Linked tracks (to be frank, I wasn't sorry to see this!!) metal barrel, the list goes on. And the box I got had illustrations on the side with the new contents, so it was a clear decision to remove all the goodies. Fair play if they'd dropped the price to, say, £35. There's a couple of vids on YT that I saw that had a bloke ranting on about the shennanigans that Dragon gets up to in this respect, must find it...
If the box art and descriptions show what you should get and no disclaimer then they are in breach and can be sued....technically. Agree, why would you want to pay that money when you could get something else, maybe not as detailed but get aftermarket PE etc for around the same money and get more.

J

John Rixon

\ said:
If the box art and descriptions show what you should get and no disclaimer then they are in breach and can be sued....technically. Agree, why would you want to pay that money when you could get something else, maybe not as detailed but get aftermarket PE etc for around the same money and get more.
Problem is that this is, as far as I know, the only model of this very early type, I think that only nine of these tanks were made like this! I shouldnt grumble, it was a Christmas present!

Next up, new tool Tamiya Sherman Easy Eight! Then I am sorely tempted to make another softskin...

J

John Rixon

\ said:
Excellent build and finish John, looks superb mate ;)
Thanks! I am pleased with it, and have learned an awful lot on this one. But those wheels, man I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it! So subtle, but with so many layers of wheels, the outer one was well out of alignment!

T

treyzx10r

Great looking Tiger ,I like the early grey finish ! Weathering looks really good too,very nicely done Sir!

J

John Rixon

\ said:
Great looking Tiger ,I like the early grey finish ! Weathering looks really good too,very nicely done Sir!
Thanks! I think I remember reading that they made 9 like this, and changed it pretty smartish to have fenders! The mess made by those exposed tracks must have been something in the mud!

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
great looking early big cat John,,do like what and how your done it,

real like you dust/mud effect,and very suitable weathering,well done, ;)

thanks for showing the vid as well very interesting in what he i say, :D

will be going back to that,

D

dubster72

Very nice work John. Personally I struggle with pigments, but yours looks very natural.

J

John Rixon

\ said:
Very nice work John. Personally I struggle with pigments, but yours looks very natural.
Thanks Patrick, I'm going to persist with them, as they do have a really authentic surface. I'll try different ways of getting them to stay put. This one, I lightly brushed them over still tacky oil paint. For the record, the only spraying done was the primer, and a very fine mist of blue filter just before weathering. Loving the brushes!

D

Deleted member 3568

I agree very natural looking build, superb job showing the subtitles of a master at work.

J

John Rixon

\ said:
I agree very natural looking build, superb job showing the subtitles of a master at work.
Blimey! Kind words indeed! I think that one of the big advantages of oil paint rendering is the time in between layers. I had to leave it for days on end before adding anything. So I get to see it in different lighting, and really think about what to do next.