Dspiae circle cutter

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
The A good circlecu r styrene (up to say 0.5 mm)?

Hello Chaps

Having scoured this forum and the “zeh Internet” I am still found wanting in terms of finding out what would be a god circle cutter for styrene.

I am done using kompass cutters as they frustrate me unend and yield unsatisfactory results.

One that pops up quite a lot is the Dspiae Circlecutter (56028 MT-EC EL OS ADJUSTMENT CIRCULAR CUTTER which I am looking into but almost all reviews and articles relate to this from the ability to cut masks from tape which in my case will not be the primary use, this being cutting circular discs for scratch building etc in styrene. It is often mentioned briefly that it can cut plastic but can anyone offer further insights into this? Or alternatives if we are not talking compass cutters - maybe the Thinnerline one from Shadow Hobby? - if you own one let me know...
Cheers
Steve

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
<<< comments from people saying it is not very useful for cutting anything except masking tape
thin acetate is a problem for it.

davecov

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I have one of these and I found it useless for styrene and acetate and it has been consigned to my ever-increasing collection of never-used gadgets.

Dave

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I hope I'm not being patronising, but have you tried using the reverse IE scribing side of the blade for styrene? I have used an Olfa compass cutter for many years in this way and it's fine.
You'll have to make several passes and go quite gently, but it's do-able

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I use the compass cutter for thin plastic card - but as soon as you try thicker stuff, the tiny blade twists! You have to do it very gently and in many passes.
I do use one of these
template.jpg
I use a scriber & go round several times - I then snap off the surplus material. It does have disadvantages - you only have a limited range of hole sizes, and the hole centre isn't marked. It leaves a rough edge, but that's easily cleaned up. I use dentists' probes as scribers - Ebay sourced
Dave

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I use a good drafting compass with the fine needle sharpened to an edge.

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Hello Chaps
thanks for all the feed -back
I found a yuotube vid in russian where the cutter is used to cut plastic and judging from the auto - generated text I get the impression that he struggles a bit to get the thing to do it properly - it is a bit fiddly I guess when it comes to styrene - I am still on the fence but for now I think I will settle for my big punch and die for now
- I do not seem to able to link to the vid