Enamel or Acrylic, what is your paint of choice?

Enamel or Acrylic

• Enamel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Acrylic

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Here we go again following the same old tired routine. How many times have we watched this type of thread deteriorate into what we read here.......

I don't blame Dave one bit for typing......."I'm out of here." Who can blame him when he just asked - as he saw it - a simple question?

D

Deleted member 3568

Oh come on mate dont take it to heart being on here and lots of other forums I knew this would happen but you had already posted it so I couldnt warn you dont leave its really great here and its not your fault you just posted a question which, lets say gets a few normally good natured people a bit tetchy, please dont do anything rash I for one would miss you.

D

Dave1973

Dont beat yourself up Dave. I dont think ANYONE blames you for starting a thread.

First Name
Dave
I shall remain but only as an onlooker, I will not start any new threads except when and if I complete a model. I will not bother to reply to posts or even rate except to those on here that I absolutely respect (you know who you are).

I took a risk on being on here as I abhor social media and I believed that modellers were of a different ilk to those found on faceache and twatter, but and the end of the day people are people and they will always show themselves for what they are be it good, bad or indifferent.

All I ask now is that a moderator puts an end to this godforsaken thread.

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Oh come on mate dont take it to heart being on here and lots of other forums I knew this would happen but you had already posted it so I couldnt warn you dont leave its really great here and its not your fault you just posted a question which, lets say gets a few normally good natured people a bit tetchy, please dont do anything rash I for one would miss you.
Thanks Ken

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Here we go again following the same old tired routine. How many times have we watched this type of thread deteriorate into what we read here.......
I don't blame Dave one bit for typing......."I'm out of here." Who can blame him when he just asked - as he saw it - a simple question?
Thanks Ron

C

CharleyGnarlyP290

As for the original question, I don't think that enamels are "out," so to speak, maybe just not as discussed.

It seems that most paint discussions I see are questions about how to get brand x acrylic to spray properly, or what should be added to brand y acrylic to work. So, with so many threads about acrylics in comparison to enamels, it might seem that this would be indicative of the death of enamels

As for me, I use acrylics exclusively for airbrushing, and a mix of enamels and acrylics for brushing, usually dictated by what color I need. If I have the color I want in enamel, that's what I will use first. If not, I will use acrylic. The primary reason I use acrylics, is due in large to ease of use (once the proper formula is figured out.) Ease of use in the ability to use it indoors without worrying about smells, it is easy to clean up, etc. Truth be told, if I had a dedicated work space separate from the house with a good booth setup, I would probably use enamels quite a bit more, if not for all my painting needs. I find enamels to be much less "fiddly" than acrylics, especially from brand to brand to brand.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I actually think it was rather a good thread to start and an interesting little survey. You can never expect any bunch of people to agree all the time and everyone is entitled to an opinion. I certainly wouldn't be disheartened just because it provoked some fairly vigorous debate! I'd say well done for starting it :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Dave
\ said:
I actually think it was rather a good thread to start and an interesting little survey. You can never expect any bunch of people to agree all the time and everyone is entitled to an opinion. I certainly wouldn't be disheartened just because it provoked some fairly vigorous debate! I'd say well done for starting it :smiling3:
Cheers

Steve
Thanks Steve, it's just a shame that some people just don't know when to back down, it may be banter between them and they and they only think it's amusing, but it's still a bar brawl no matter what and unfortunately onlookers have to witness such childish behaviour.

D

Dave1973

Ah screw it, all paints are rubbish! When are you lot gonna learn, FELT TIP PENS is the way to go!!

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Ah screw it, all paints are rubbish! When are you lot gonna learn, FELT TIP PENS is the way to go!!
I was thinking of felt tip pens too as I'm thinking of changing up from colouring pencils, I thought they were the bees knees when I swapped up from wax crayons.

Might start a new thread............... have coloured pencils had their day or a felt tip pens the new tech?!

Maybe I won't ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Dave1973

No dont bother, youll start an argument between Crayola and faber castell!!

B

Benhur

I am quite new here and found this a useful thread. If some don't like it or think it a waste of time why read it.

Thank you for starting the thread.

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
\ said:
I shall remain but only as an onlooker, I will not start any new threads except when and if I complete a model. I will not bother to reply to posts or even rate except to those on here that I absolutely respect (you know who you are).
I took a risk on being on here as I abhor social media and I believed that modellers were of a different ilk to those found on faceache and twatter, but and the end of the day people are people and they will always show themselves for what they are be it good, bad or indifferent.

All I ask now is that a moderator puts an end to this godforsaken thread.
Dave mate don't be so hard on yourself just do what I do enjoy the fireworks they will soon fizzle out n be forgotten.

At the end of the day just suck up all the views n opinions and use what you happy with. Trust me there is no malice or disrespect here amongst any of the members were just one big opinionated happy family on this particular subject.

Just keep calm n carry on mate. :smiling3:

And...... For the record you can keep all your crayons n pencils I'm a Dot to Dot man ;)

L

Laurie

\ said:
but it's still a bar brawl no matter what and unfortunately onlookers have to witness such childish behaviour.

Well now Dave. About 10 days ago someone was "slagging" the government prime minster

and party politics in an unholy way. Just as I would have envisaged in the public bar and

with out the foundation of argument. I reminded you that politics were not

allowed in discussion here. Remember ?

I tried in this debate, which as Steve said was a good experience, to stick to acrylics

(read what I said). Unfortunately I succumbed to taunts and provocation which

unfortunately comes from one direction with rapidity & regularity every time I put pen

to paper. Stupidly and now with a sore pride I live with that.

I would suggest that in future any poll you set up that the question you ask is balanced.

The question posed was provocative in that it was loaded in one direction designed

meaningly or naively . Also to then pose a question on top of that which strangely,

in a twin article, which questioned acrylics and enamels was weird. Where were the

Moderators ?

I also suggest that members read the text of what has been written before replying.

The lack of this fundamental basic has lead to some to write in complete reversal

of what I had stated.

I am now going off for a sabbatical, short long or for good no idea.

Lastly I sent you a PM Dave which you have not had the courteousy to reply to.

Laurie

First Name
Dave
\ said:

Well now Dave. About 10 days ago someone was "slagging" the government prime minster

and party politics in an unholy way. Just as I would have envisaged in the public bar and

with out the foundation of argument. I reminded you that politics were not

allowed in discussion here. Remember ?

I tried in this debate, which as Steve said was a good experience, to stick to acrylics

(read what I said). Unfortunately I succumbed to taunts and provocation which

unfortunately comes from one direction with rapidity & regularity every time I put pen

to paper. Stupidly and now with a sore pride I live with that.

I would suggest that in future any poll you set up that the question you ask is balanced.

The question posed was provocative in that it was loaded in one direction designed

meaningly or naively . Also to then pose a question on top of that which strangely,

in a twin article, which questioned acrylics and enamels was weird. Where were the

Moderators ?

I also suggest that members read the text of what has been written before replying.

The lack of this fundamental basic has lead to some to write in complete reversal

of what I had stated.

I am now going off for a sabbatical, short long or for good no idea.

Lastly I sent you a PM Dave which you have not had the courteousy to reply to.

Laurie

This is the purest pomposity with which I was expecting from you Laurie.

Firstly in my defence I did not make a post to last Sunday in order to discuss party politics, or to slag off the prime minister, it's just that it's the way the thread went to which I had and have no control over. The original post to which you are referring to was intended as a gentle reminder to pay remembrance and respect to the fallen of conflicts and show respect to those that have and still are serving our nations, in fact to show respect to all. It was in no way unholy. It seems to me you get some sort of pleasure from taunting and goading innocent folk into offensive debates appertaining to politics and religion because these are subjects you obviously have a abundance of knowledge on. However, I have the respect not to talk politics and religion in general because no one would ever agree, isn't those two subjects alone responsible for most of the conflicts and henceforth suffering and death on this planet of ours.

So please Laurie show some respect and WIND YOUR NECK IN and enjoy you sabbatical as much as we will enjoy it.

As for not having the so called courtesy to answer your PM, I am a primary carer for my wife, she is obviously my main focus of my time, second is my 12 year old daughter, third is my time, fourthly any chance I get to model is ceased upon, fifth, I reply to worthwhile posts by worthwhile people and then lastly I might get the chance to answer a PM from you. Courtesy does not even come in to it so don't bloody judge people when you don't know their circumstances, you for one with all due respect should know this considering you're in the sunset of your life.

And no I'm not ageist, racist, fascist or any other bloody ist.

End off.

B

Benhur

Anybody know why folk are falling out with each other and taking time out from the forum.

Guys we are talking about wee pots of paint here which we use for the enjoyment of model making.

I don't care what anybody uses as if they enjoy it then that is surely what it is all about.

If you want to use a 10 litre tin of Dulux raspberry red matt for a Spitfire and that is what you like then its OK by me. This is a great forum with great people so sit back and just enjoy the company of other model makers and respect their views.

Christmas is coming so lets enjoy the season and talk about the new models we are getting from Santa,. Hows about everybody just staying and posting and enjoying ourselves.

M

m1ks

It's been a while since I was on this forum and the first post I check on is a good ol scrap, chuckle.

Anyhow.

I'll lob in my own preferences on this.

I use Humbrol enamels, (with the odd revell tinlet)

Also, I use Tamiya acrylics.

Also Citadel acrylics.

Also vallejo acrylics.

And Alclad.

Essentially, I use a variety of paint types according to what I'm painting and my required paint finish.

For spraying through the airbrush I really like the enamels because of the additional working time, wide temperature range you can spray in and the ease of cleanup afterwards without the worry of paint drying in the ab, I also find the gloss finish unbeatable for civilian vehicles whereas tamiya acrylics are great for military multiple tone paint due to the quick drying time of them between colour change.

D

Dave1973

As Monty python said well,

Now time for something completely different.......

Status
Not open for further replies.