Engel U177

C

cplnobbie

Just about to start building this great looking kit, So will be posting pics as I make it or more to the point try to make it, anyone feel free to mail me with any help or tips on this kit and any pictures of it you would like to see.

yours

Anthony

:anicam:

B

Bunkerbarge

Anthony,

First of all welcome to the forum and good luck with the build. I have been toying with one of these for a while but whilst I prefer the standard of the Engles kit I prefer the look of a Type VII. I may try an Engles ballast tank in a Robbe hull, which has been done.

Anyway get as much reference material as you can, the Subcommittee web site is superb and well worth joining for a start, but there are a lot of other excellent U-Boat sites as well.

I have just finished a book called "Another Time Another Place" which has a lot of superb Type IX photos and is a very good read to boot.

Put plenty of pictures in the gallery where we can all refer to them in the future.

Best regards

Richard

N

Nigel.D

U177 a good choice cant wait to see what it looks like

N

Nigel.D

Oh sorry welcome to the forum Anthony !!!!!

What scale is she

B

Bunkerbarge

Nigel,

It is 1/45 th scale and 6 1/2 feet long. Stunning kit and excellent engineering but I just don't like the lines of a Type IX.

C

cplnobbie

Just started back on building this kit more pictures in a few hours with luck

M

Mankster

\ said:
Just started back on building this kit more pictures in a few hours with luck
That was a long hiatus, nice to see that you didn't loose interest after such a long time. Looking forward to the build.

C

cplnobbie

Has anyone ever made a step by step build of this U177 kit yet please.

M

Mankster

There's another unconstruction at the moment http://www.scale-models.co.uk/under-construction/5044-engel-u177-ix-d2.html

C

cplnobbie

Mankster where did you buy the sheet to make the other type of Gasket as discussed in the other thread you told me about please.

M

Mankster

Hi, I did not use any Gasket material in my Engel Sub (Typhoon) like Screwloose, I replaced the supplied oring with a thicker variety. I have an oring kit at home which I purchased a few years ago to make customs orings. Cant remember where are I got it but plenty of places have them for £15-20

C

cplnobbie

WTC finished today and bolted on, will put up picture to show progress and will test to see if water tight. Was thinking of putting some water in the lid on the 2nd picture to see if it leaked out.

View attachment 16524

View attachment 16525

U177 005.jpg

U177 006.jpg

Last edited:
C

cplnobbie

Tested the WTC by pouring water into lid section and after 4 hrs none ecaped so i am happy with that, Also started the task of cutting out the flooding vents in the bottem half of the model after about 1 hr got very board and have stopped but will take pictures to show you how it's going.

View attachment 16540

View attachment 16541

View attachment 16615

U177 007.jpg

U177 008.jpg

U177 009.jpg

Last edited:
M

Mankster

I'm sure your lid is fine but testing it the way you have won't tell you much. You'll need to test it when the deck is bonded in and you pressurise the WTC (either with a pump via a scherder valve or by operating the piston tanks.

C

cplnobbie

\ said:
I'm sure your lid is fine but testing it the way you have won't tell you much. You'll need to test it when the deck is bonded in and you pressurise the WTC (either with a pump via a scherder valve or by operating the piston tanks.
That's true, One thing what is an scherder valve? please

M

Mankster

Its a car tire / bicycle valve. Screwloose has one fitted to back of his WTC here....

C

cplnobbie

I take it i could use that to do my pressure test instead of a tube?