Engine fit problem.

First Name
Marc
Hi guys i have come across a small issue. The 300sl build i am doing is taking shape and i have spent alot of time and attention on making sure i do a good job.

I have spent the last 4 days making the body look perfect, i did a test fit this morning before going to work and now the engine hits the bonnet when i place the body on the chassis.

Im sure it was okay before i painted, is there any way i can keep the paint on the underside of the bonnet and somehow slightly soften the inlet manifold with a hair dryer and push it down a little? Or am i going to have to remove paint from.under the bonnet?

Its just under 1mm out.

View attachment 123794

View attachment 123795

20151101_160400.jpg

20151030_001756-1.jpg

P

Polux

Certainly is strange...

You don't can move the engine? Between the engine and chassis...

Or just add a 1mm piece where the chassis join to the body...

All the work looks very fine, so is a pity if you have to remove the paint!

D

Deleted member 3568

I can't see how paint would make a 1mm difference, are you sure the engine is sitting on its mounts properly, if it was okay before you painted it, it must be a physical fit problem, there is no way paint alone would make a 1 mil difference paint layers are measured in microns, I'm sure you will figure it out.

First Name
Marc
I managed to get it to fit. I had to file the underside of the bonnet took quite a bit of plastic out, the inlet manifold and airbox was stopping it from closing. I also pushed it down a little and that also helped a bit. Ill touch up later on