English Civil War - Cavalry charge!

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
The result of this evening's work. The left fore leg has been strengthened, not because it is a supporting leg but because it was cut into 3 parts and I know that if I just glued them together they are likely to brake during the build/painting process - better safe than sorry!

I used milliput and paperclips to join the front and rear halves, when the Milliput is set (tomorrow) I will fill out the middle parts of the two halfes and fit then together. Being fixed together with paper clips gives some flexibility to bend the sides if necessary.

IMG_0246.jpeg

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Cracking stuff Peter, and an interesting point which makes perfect sense when you think about it.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Stunning work Peter. This is a really interesting project with a lot of skill and imagination on show. It’s really compelling stuff and I am really looking forward to the progress. The detail and techniques involved thus far are outstanding.
Top work!

ATB
Paul

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Update time.

all of the cavalry are virtually sculpted and the musketeers have reached a mixed stage - some virtually finished, others need a bit more sculpting as well as helmets and weapons fitted - these will be fitted after painting. Some of the hands have been fixed to the weapons and will be fitted to the figures when painted; which is why some of the figures do not have hands.

All 11 figures are posed and placed on the base so the composition is finalised. If you look closely you can see it has changed a little with 2 of my original cavalry figures being replaced - I am sure i will find a use for them in a little vignette later on, so they will not be wasted.

The figures are positioned in a block of roofing insulation, the size and shape of the base is marked in pencil and will be an octagonal shape - 16cm wide - its a tight fit! A piece of 20mm plywood has been cut to size and shape. i will edge it with polished oak later on.

The plan is that the last bits and pieces will be sculpted and fitted as and when they are painted and then the figures will be fixed to their permenant base, starting with the fallen horse and rider. That will start in a couple of weeks time, first will be a change of tack - a universal carrier or perhaps a bust.

Peter

IMG_5671.jpegIMG_5672.jpegIMG_5675.jpegIMG_5676.jpeg

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Coming along nicely Peter, with the figures set out, you can see how they work as a whole.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
I'm back on this project, after the distraction of a WW1 Whippet and some other stuff, and almost finished the first horse - the fallen horse.

IMG_0488.jpegIMG_0485.jpeg

Painting the horse was a fairly straightforward process; firstly the horse was airbrushed with Vallejo acrylics, a shade close to the final colour. This acted to cover the white and as an undercoat. After that I switched to artists oil paints and layered the final(ish) colour which was left in the airing cupboard To fully dry before additional highlights and shadows were applied. All of the saddle and harness were painted using the LifeColour leather set. The reins and stirrups will be added when the rider is added, at which time some of the shadows and highlights may be refined, epscially the saddle.

all of the horses will be painted this way - in fact all of the airbrushing has been done already. It made sense to paint them all in one session.

the base is a piece of plywood edged with oak. What you cannot see from the photo is the very slight slop the base has - the back is 5mm higher than the front, barely noticeable but it will hopefully make everything slightly easier to see.

Next - the rider.

peter

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I do love stumbling on threads like thus - just awesome work with tons of great ideas and Problem-solving. So good.

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
As the others have said, the horse looks really good.