F-14B Tomcat - 1:32 Trumpeter

C

Caledonia

Thanks for your comments Lads.

Unusually for a Trumpeter 1/32 Kit, have been pulling my hair out at the instrumentation Panel Dials. Overall the mouldings for the cockpit and seats are quite good. The small dials however have a raised facia which is quite good but the Decals for the dials have been grouped together on the backing film. How these are supposed to bed into the facias I do not know. They are so small that for me, it is impossible to cut them out individually.

View attachment 72621

View attachment 72622

What I ended up doing was paint where the decals should have gone with black gloss paint, and with a fine sewing needle scratched the dial face to represent the dial needle.

View attachment 72623

View attachment 72624

Going to assemble and paint the Pilot figures now.

Cheers Derek

B11.jpg

B12.jpg

B13.jpg

B14.jpg

P

Polux

Yes....they look so small :eek:

But is an excellent work too!!!

You have many patience :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:

C

Caledonia

Thanks Ian,

Have been concentrating on the undercarriage and wheel bays.

In order to comply with the configuration I want, have used the short nose undercarriage strut. Have also cut-off the launch bar and repositioned it in the retracted position.

View attachment 73989

View attachment 73990

Here's a view of all three struts

View attachment 73991

Finally a few shots of the sub-assemblies ready for priming.

View attachment 73992

View attachment 73993

View attachment 73994

View attachment 73995

Cheers Derek

B20.jpg

B21.jpg

B22.jpg

B23.jpg

B24.jpg

B25.jpg

B26.jpg

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
This is one monster of a kit!

The cockpit and pilots look great. Looking forward to seeing the rest of this big bird build!

Cheers P

C

Caledonia

Thanks Ian and Paul.

Have almost finished the nose wheel well, still to do some dirtying, but will tackle all three landing gear together once fitted.

View attachment 74323

View attachment 74324

Have fitted the cannon, so that the muzzle is visible, have closed all of the panels, as I don't want to spoil the lines of the aircraft. Must say I am disappointed with the fit, will wait until the forward fuselage is all together before filling in and cleaning up the seams.

View attachment 74325

View attachment 74326

I have just cemented the engine intake ramps to the intake side walls rather than trying to fit the actuators, which for me seems an impossible task.

View attachment 74327

View attachment 74328

In order to get the ramps parallel to the intake lip means this ramp edge will be sticking out, but this is not a problem as it goes into a recess.

View attachment 74329

Must say I am disappointed in this kit so far, a lot of poor fitting, poor assembly illustrations and a lack of painting instructions. Thank god for google.

Cheers Derek

B27.jpg

B28.jpg

B29.jpg

B30.jpg

B31.jpg

B33.jpg

B32.jpg

C

Caledonia

I like to coat my canopies with Klear well in advance of needing them or masking them, so the Klear has plenty of time to cure. Trumpeter, as usual, have a longitudinal seam; however this canopy has two widths of seam at each position, which made me google photos, and sure enough the thicker seam is present on the actual aircraft. I have therefore only cleaned off the thinner section.

View attachment 74978

View attachment 74979

I was planning to fully detail the engines, but unfortunately I do not have a lot of spare time at the moment, so have just painted the essentials, here you see the Intake, Trunking and Engines fitted. All quite good fits.

View attachment 74980

The next couple of shots show the main undercarriage fitted, this was an excellent fit, they clicked together into the fuselage.

View attachment 74981

View attachment 74982

One point to bear in mind; for me it was not clear where the cylinders Items K2 and K6 fitted, so I left them off and fitted them later, which means I will have to hand paint them later. With hindsight it is possible to fit them with the rest of the wheel bay, and paint the lot together. See grey cylinder in photo below.

View attachment 74983

The two halves of the fuselage were brought together, this was a good fit.

View attachment 74984

View attachment 74985

View attachment 74986

View attachment 74987

The underside stabilizers were a bad fit into the slots on the fuselage and needed a lot of filing/sanding, still to fill the gap. I am leaving off dressing up all of the joints on the model until assembly is complete.

View attachment 74988

Cheers Derek

B34.jpg

B35.jpg

B36.jpg

B37.jpg

B38.jpg

B39.jpg

B40.jpg

B41.jpg

B42.jpg

B43.jpg

B44.jpg

C

Caledonia

Having problems posting will try again.

Last edited:
C

Caledonia

More a RANT than an update.

Been looking at fitting the missiles. Rather than using an air-to-air combat mission, and because I bought the 'Bombcat', I wanted to fit a 'Smart Mission' set of weapons to the model.

Had I wanted to do the former then no problem as you can see below the slots on the carrier fits the missile.

View attachment 75346

Unfortunately, the instructions give no clue as to how to fit the bombs. The box art shows a configuration, which agrees with a photo I found.

View attachment 75347

View attachment 75348

For the kit this is the problem (square peg round hole springs to mind.)

View attachment 75349

On Sprue sheet WY are these items not mentioned anywhere in the instructions, see bottom of photo. But removing the tabs from the carrier and some re-scribing, you can get round the problem, but it is not accurate.

View attachment 75350

By attaching other items also found on this same sprue sheet, it is possible to mount the GBU-12 and GBU-31s

View attachment 75351

View attachment 75352

This kit is not nearly as good as the 1:32 Trumpeter SU-27 and MIG-29M

End of RANT, apologies.

Hope you all had a good X-mas, and have a happy and prosperous New Year. Cheers Derek

B45.jpg

B46.jpg

B47.jpg

B48.jpg

B49.jpg

B50.jpg

B51.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I have every confidence in your abilities Derek , its going to look excellent. Very interesting to hear the kit is a bit of a "challenge" shall we say , nice work overcoming the bomb attachment , cheers tony

C

Caledonia

Thanks for your comments lads.

After some dry fitting I decided to fit the bottom panel aft of the nose landing gear. Quite a good fit. Spent most of the rest of my time filling seams.

View attachment 75801

View attachment 75802

Quite pleased when I found the photo below which shows how rough the fit of the panels are on the real thing.

View attachment 75809

Filled in the seams on the aft end, although they were all a fairly good fit.

View attachment 75803

Avoiding joining the fuselage together until the last moment for ease of handling, will move onto the wings next.

B52.jpg

B53.jpg

B54.jpg

f-14b_vf-11_204_names.jpg

C

Caledonia

Nicely detailed Wing each with 19 pieces.

View attachment 75983

Fit is generally good; I am planning to show the slats, spoiler and flaps deployed which means that I had to remove all of the pin marks on the slats and spoiler.

View attachment 75984

This is the wing assembled as far as I want to go at the moment, as the adjacent faces of the slat and spoiler have to be painted red, will therefore paint all of the components shown below separately.

View attachment 75985

B55.jpg

B56.jpg

B57.jpg

M

mobear

this is absolutely stunning so far,the office is fantastic and the 2 pilots are amazing

First Name
Dave
Looking good Derek.Some years ago I built the Hasegawa 1/48 F14 which is quite big. This one must be huge.