Ferrari 328 GTS

• Thread starter Plastickitbasher
  • Start date
P

Plastickitbasher

This is one of three kits rescued from a skip full of household rubbish, my nephews did ask the home owner before taking them.

Kit details

Hasegawa, 1/24 scale

The challenge!!!

Is to build this as best I can due to the fact that there are no instructions lol also there are no decals and there is at this moment in time one part missing which won't be seen thankfully. I was going to try and get another instruction sheet and decals from Hasegawa but I remembered the run around I was given the last time I tried to get spares from them, I even wrote to Hasegawa in Japan and still awaiting a reply which I don't think will come..

However I found a build review with quite a few photo's so hopefully that will be some help any

The kit has been started in that some parts have been painted and the engine was almost completely built. Anyway I've finished the engine build and have started the painting, I've also made a start on the body shell with some parts fitted and primed with Alclad 2 grey primer it still needs another sanding.

That's it for now but will try post more later

Regards

David

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Well, for a skip find you can't go wrong on that score David, looking good so far.

Si:smiling3:

P

Plastickitbasher

Thanks to all,

I think I'm going to paint this one white (maybe).

Not sure about what colour for the the seats and dash yet still thinking about it so could all change lol

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looks nice, but do these engines ever get a bit dirty - err probably not.

P

Plastickitbasher

Here's quick update,

Engine.

Is almost fully painted and had a quick dry fit on to the chasses and I think I'm going to need that missing engine part so I've mangaed to buy another 328 GTS.

I'll buy a resin casting kit and make a copy plus I need to make copies of a couple parts for another car build that's been on the bench for a very lomg time.

Body colour.

Is no longer going to be white as I found a half empty bottle of Ferrari yellow from Zero paints, I've sprayed the body four times now so just needs a light polishing

and then put to one side.

Wheels.

Have been sprayed with Alclad grey primer and I've also sprayed them with Alclad Black Gloss Base they are now ready for a couple of coats of Alclad Polished Aluminium.

Exhaust.

The main pipe has had a coat of Alclad grey primer, the end box and tail pipes have been painted with Mr Hobby Metal coat Stainless I've also polished the tail pipes with a cotton bud

and I've also drilled out the tail pipes as it get rid of the solid look.

Seats.

Have been painted with Tamiya NATO Black and a thin peace of plasticard has been stuck the to the seat backs

a, to cover the empty viod and to cover some rather large and nasty ejector pin marks.

That's it for now but I'll take some photo's and post them up tonight.

P

Plastickitbasher

Hello all

As promised here are a few more photo's the body shell still needs a light polish, it's almost up to the standard of John's E-Type three wheeler pickup!!

Anyway here are the photo's

Enjoy...

All comments most welcome

Regards

David

J

John Huggins

Looking good David love the paint job, keep up the good work.

John

P

Plastickitbasher

Hello all

A small update but one that I've been working on for a bit.

I did have a quick look on tinter web for a resin casting kit and it worked out to be a little over £40 a little steep just for one part, so after having a brain wave I used the missing engine part from another 328GTS kit, and some Milliput I set about creating a mold which was ok not as good as a silicone mold but for this part it would fine as once sat on the wheels no one will ever see it.

My first attempt was with Green Stuff which came out ok although it does have some flex in it

My second attempt was with Milliput which came better in that there was no flex in the part

Both still need a good clean up and should help hold the engine in the right place and at the right height as the engine is quite nicely detailed I want it to be seen.

Here's the kit original part

They're not a that far out, yes a resin casting kit would have made a better more detailed part but £40 is a lot to lay out just for one part plus I got a whole new kit for less than half the cost of a casting kit, so I get to build another in white this time lol.

I did try to make a cast with some old sprue cut into small peaces and then desolved in liquid polly

oh what a mess failed badly, still waiting for to set I think that's going end up in the bin lol

The wheels have gone from ultra bright chrome to a very gloss black as they have had two coats of gloss black base ready for a coat of polished aluminium.

Enjoy

More to come later

C

CDW

What I have tried with some success is just pressing the part into cheap plasticene then filling the mould up with bicarb (baking soda) just dribble superglue onto it and let it soak in ... When hard just rip the plasticine of and clean up with a toothbrush and water.

Might not pick up minor details but works for the majority of stuff ....

Even made some figures out of it, I only wanted the front so just used the method to make the detail on the front with a flat back so I could glue them to a stone wall for a dungeons and dragons adventure.

Forgot about this until Steve mentioned using bicarb and super glue to fill gaps in aircraft.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I would try the plasticine thing but fill the form with epoxy. Or you could try painting the plasticine mould with a few coats of PVA to get into the detail then pour in more to top it off. Leave it to dry a few days....

Ian M

P

Plastickitbasher

Hello all,

Firstly sorry for the delay in posting on this thread but I had a exam to get over for work which I can now rest easy as I passed thankfully lol.

As I'm sure you've seen the outstanding work that John has done on the E-Type Jag gave me the

inspiration to go back and redo the engine for this 328 GTS.

This is how it was.....

Very much straight out of the box.

So with the following

15 amp fuse wire

Plastic wire ties, plastic cover removed

some braided hose

some thin hose

I went to work on the engine and a couple of reference photo's I've come up with this...

Enjoy

More to come soon

Regards

David