Ferrari F40

First Name
Jason
The Brutal F40! The catalyst for a life long love of all things automotive. As a young boy I would spend hours longingly staring at posters and magazine articles, dreaming that one day I would own one...

Well now I do:smiling3:!

View attachment 71947

After a bit of research I decided to go for Tamiya's 1/24 kit, apparently its the most accurate body shell and some of the kits from the other manufacturers don't have full engine detail. My plan is to trick it up a bit with a stunning Studio 27 photoetch sheet and a pair of eduard photoetch Sabelt harnesses. I'll also wire and plumb the engine and I'm sure there's still some carbon decal left in the spares box.

View attachment 71948

View attachment 71949

This is officially the most work ever needed to prep a body shell!! While the shape is great, there are loads of imperfections, especially that huge front end which was so ripply it would have looked awful if it was painted. I had to sand every panel flat starting with 240 grit sanding sticks taking it down to 800 grit wet and dry. I reckon about 6 hours went into it and now it looks pretty presentable. The floor pan was also sanded and ejector pin marks filled. Another hour should finish the floor.

Then I spotted this...

View attachment 71950

View attachment 71951

View attachment 71952

So the rear wing air intake should be molded into the body but Tamiya have molded part of it on the side windows. The instructions say to paint the bottom of the window body colour but you'd end up with a horrible join when it was assembled. Out with the blades! I'm thinking strengthen it up with a bit of styrene, a skim of filler and Bobs yer Uncle!!

That's all for now. Thanks for looking!

Jason

DSC01009.JPG

DSC01003.JPG

DSC01007.JPG

DSC01004.JPG

DSC01005.JPG

DSC01006.JPG

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
look forward to seeing this progress, one of my fave Fezzers too

saw one about three weeks ago, still a head turner

First Name
Jason
Crikey Paul, I haven't seen one in the flesh for decade or more! They definitely have presence for sure!! Manufacturers did seem to have a knack for building very cool cars in the eighties or is it just my rose tinted glasses???o_O

Anyway, been a lazy boy today, the weather is rubbish so I treated myself to a day off and a bit of modelling so here's a few pics of the engine wearing its Sunday best.

View attachment 71960

View attachment 71961

View attachment 71962

I do like these photoetch kits. Not sure if they represent good value for money but I don't have many vices.....

The middle pic is supposed to demonstrate the difference between the exhaust before and after it has been drilled out. A trick I picked up on a while ago, an easy improvement and I think it looks quite effective.

Thanks for looking

Jason

DSC01011.JPG

DSC01014.JPG

DSC01017.JPG

C

CDW

Looks good Jason, I'm not sure about the cost of pe either but it does make a difference to some models.

Be nice to see this come together .. I'm not a Ferrari fan I'm afraid but still appreciate a good model :smiling3:

There's an f40 along with your usual astons, porche, maserati, jags and chunky nissans in a 'select' car sales place near fort kinnaird up here, been there ages surprisingly, I through they were sought after.

P

Polux

Looking very good so far!

Will follow this one...remember me a TV series when i was more younger.

Miami, a white F40 and Don Johnson...

:smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:

J

John Huggins

You have my attention Jason, very good start. :rolleyes:

John

First Name
Jason
\ said:
Looks good Jason, I'm not sure about the cost of pe either but it does make a difference to some models.Be nice to see this come together .. I'm not a Ferrari fan I'm afraid but still appreciate a good model :smiling3:

There's an f40 along with your usual astons, porche, maserati, jags and chunky nissans in a 'select' car sales place near fort kinnaird up here, been there ages surprisingly, I through they were sought after.
How much do they want for it Colin? I wonder if I could re-mortgage without her indoors finding out hmmm...

Thanks for the comments chaps, nice to have you along for the ride.

Quick update. Got all of the wiring details measured drilled and mocked up. Should make for a straight forward rebuild once its all painted.

View attachment 71993

Thanks

Jason

DSC01023.JPG

First Name
Jason
Crikey! I didn't realize it had been so long since I got anything done on this one.

Body painted and first flat and polish, won't wax it until its all fitted together.

View attachment 73591

View attachment 73592

Thanks for looking, I'll try to get a bit of a move on but I'm not too fond of working in the poor light this time of year.

Jason

DSC01073.JPG

DSC01077.JPG

J

John Huggins

Looking good Jason, nice paint job very smooth, i'll be watching the rest of this one & pick up some tips.

John

First Name
Jason
A couple of quick update piccies. I am getting hardly any cave time at the moment but I managed to sneak a few hours on the weekend.

Front suspension and brakes are on, the engine is almost finished and a start has been made on the interior. Here it is assembled to check the fit on the engine cover. I'm happy with the way it lines up now. The engine is back out now ready for a oil wash and some heat staining on the pipes. Most of the other parts are painted now so hopefully it'll be a smooth ride to the finish. It would be nice to have a clear workbench ready for the start of next year.

View attachment 74895

View attachment 74896

View attachment 74897

Thanks for looking

Jason

DSC01099.JPG

DSC01102.JPG

DSC01103.JPG

P

Plastickitbasher

Looking fantastic, you're almost there the finish line is in sight...

P

Polux

Looking very, very good Jason.

You are doing justice at this Ferrari!