Fiat G50 bis

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
This is the Special Hobby 1:32 scale kit.

I knew what I was getting into with a short-run kit and was prepared for the relatively poor fit, lots of filler and even a spot of scratch building. I was not wrong either...

That said the kit was not really a problem at all despite the short-run issues but somehow lacked that satisfaction factor. Some models are a real pleasure to build (Dragon Bf110) start to finish, some give you odd bits of trouble without spoiling the pleasure of the build (Trumpeter Daintless), others are a pain from start to finish fighting you all the way (Revell JU88). This model did not really give me many problems at all but for some reason was just not satisfying. It was a bit like a roast dinner with no meat, disappointing. I have one other Special Hobby kit in my stash, the Aircobra, but I will not be rushing to add any more that is for sure.

Anyway here are a few pics its an early 50bis based in Derna Libya in 1941.

View attachment 79983

View attachment 79984

View attachment 79985

View attachment 79986

View attachment 79987

IMG_20140329_120714.jpg

IMG_20140329_120729.jpg

IMG_20140329_120807.jpg

IMG_20140329_120856.jpg

IMG_20140329_121011.jpg

D

dubster72

That's really nice Barry! The camo is excellent, doing those spots isn't easy!

Top job!

Cheers

Patrick

D

Doug Hughes

Looks great to me - camo is well beyond my skill level!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice result Barry. I bet that you had fun doing that mottle!

Ian M

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
That's a great build Barry.Excellent paintwork .not an easy camo you picked turned out Excellent

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Thanks everyone. Yes the mottle was fun, done freehand with the airbrush. Not as hard as it looks but it did take some time.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Beautifully finished Fiat Barry, particularly nice work on the mottle.

First Name
Mike
Really well done, Barry, the mottling is excellent. What kind of paints do you use?

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Top job Barry , i really have a soft spot for the portly old G50, always a little outclassed and outgunned but a very interesting machine nonetheless. This makes a change from seeing the old airfix 1/72!!great build and paintwork , cheers tony

L

Laurie

Very nice Barry. The camouflage intrigues me as it looks more difficult than you are letting on.

Could you give us more info? How far away. Thinning of paint. Needle/ nozzle size. Did you set the paint input on the airbrush. Anything else.

Did you manage all or did you have to remove some and restart? If so how did you remove ? Probably all boring to you Barry but never having had to do this and it is very interesting as it is the high end of airbrush work. Also takes nerve ! How many whisky shots does it take ? :D

Laurie

S

spongtastic

There's no way I'd be able to reproduce that camo with a brush!

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Hi Laurie.

I used a H&S Evo with a 0.4 needle, pressure 20-25psi and a very light touch on the paint. I did not thin the paint.

I started going all over with just a light 'dab' of each colour to get an even 'spread' over the aircraft. I then went back and made each 'dab' a little bigger until I got the effect I wanted.

I did not have to clean any paint off. I did get a little 'heavy' in a few places when the trigger slipped and where I did I oversprayed as appropriate to even the effect.

I am by no mean an expert with an airbrush, I see a lot of work on here that I cannot match. But I do try out various effects and usually it ends up working out fine one way or another. A bit of bodging along the way helps a bit too!!!!!!

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Good build! I like the camo work, looks authentic ;)

Lee:smiling3:

L

Laurie

Thanks Barry. Good bit of advice especially starting from small beginnings. Thanks for your time.

Laurie

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
What a great paint job. That would stand out (for all the right reasons) in anyone's collection. Very nice.