FINISHED F-14B 'Red Ripper' Tomcat - 1/32 Trumpeter

C

Caledonia

Well here it is for better or worse, an OOB build except for the Aircrew. A disappointing kit, poor fit in may places, poor assembly and very poor painting instructions. You will notice the front of the canopy is a poor fit, it is wider than the body, if you trim it you loose the rivet detail on the canopy. You have to guess where some of the decals go, no Nose wheel landing lights, wrong shape of missile carriers etc. etc.

Anyway here it is, hope you enjoy, comments welcome. Apologies for the background.

Cheers Derek

View attachment 79625

View attachment 79626

View attachment 79627

View attachment 79628

View attachment 79629

View attachment 79630

View attachment 79631

View attachment 79632

View attachment 79633

View attachment 79634

View attachment 79635

View attachment 79636

View attachment 79637

View attachment 79638

View attachment 79639

F1.jpg

F2.jpg

F3.jpg

F4.jpg

F5.jpg

F6.jpg

F7.jpg

F8.jpg

f10.jpg

F11.jpg

F12.jpg

F13.jpg

F14.jpg

F15.jpg

F16.jpg

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Derek even with all the problems with this kit it's a great build, and mostly down to your skill. A stunning looking Tomcat, and the bin shows the true size of it. Well done again

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
As the other Ian said. That looks great regardless of the issues you had along the way.

The paint is fantastic and it looks most impressive!

Great work Derek

Ian M

D

dubster72

It's a shame such a big, expensive kit should be so lacking, but you've turned

it into a smashing build Derek.

The look of the big 'cat is just right for sitting on the flight line, ready to be blasted into the blue!

Top job!

Cheers

Patrick

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
as said even with all the problems you've knocked it out the park with your build and weathering it looks superb''and all the problems cant be seen because of the look of the hole thing i would display this with pride..just show how good a modeller you are for all the faults you can produce such cracking build

First Name
Dave
That's a very impressive model.Shows great attention to detail.

C

Caledonia

Thanks very much for you kind comments Gents. As you can gather from my comments an expensive disappointing kit. Cheers Derek

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
A beautifully made Tomcat Derek, great build. You have done a fabulous job on the weathering and panel lines, and despite the kit issues your work has turned out a fantastic model. Also it is refreshing and nice to see a colourful F-14 in markings that aren't, as you said, the usual 'skull and cross bones' or rising sun markings.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Superb work Derek, despite the faults youve turned it into a fantastic looking model . Excellent paint skills as per your usual standards , great build mate , cheers tony

C

Caledonia

Joe/Gav/Tony, Many thanks for your kind comments, much appreciated. Cheers Derek

First Name
Mike
Superb Derek, I can only echo what the others have said. A really excellent finish; how did you achieve the subtle mottling of the base grey?

C

Caledonia

Thanks Mike, If you look at my reply to Ole in my under construction entry top of page 5 ( http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/f-14b-tomcat-1-32-trumpeter.18941/page-5 ) you will see how I weathered the Tomcat. For the mottling around the panel toggle fasteners I used very dilute white paint and applied a small amount with a fine brush, just as it dried I rubbed it with a cotton bud. Cheers Derek

View attachment 79682

View attachment 79683

f-14b_vf-11_210_artplace.jpg

F8.jpg

T

treyzx10r

Derek that is a truly outstanding looking Tomcat! I keep looking at the pics and seeing new details pop out every time. 5 star build for sure,very nicely done Sir!!!

C

Caledonia

Thank you Trey, from you that's a real compliment. Cheers Derek

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Fantastic looking bird, problems or not 110% effort, really well done;)

Lee:smiling3:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I do find it ironic that after your complaints about the kit, you photograph it on top of a bin. But stop Derek, it's far too good for the bin. I can understand your disappointment, after all, the brand, size and cost you might expect better. But anyway, it obviously surrendered to your master modelling abilities, it looks great. Nice job.

C

Caledonia

Thanks Colin, Yes I agree I must do something about my photo backgrounds, it was too large to photo in my usual way. Many thanks for your kind remarks. Derek