Foreart (Fore Hobby) Schnellboot S38

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
. If I had to guess I'd say some sort of contamination in those areas, maybe some mould release agent.
Did wonder that, not too bothered as think it might add to the weathering... just not seen it before.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I'd agree with Jim that some kind of contamination is the most likely cause. You can see where the paint has been repelled away from the holes and has built up into a surrounding tide mark.

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I'd agree with Jim that some kind of contamination is the most likely cause. You can see where the paint has been repelled away from the holes and has built up into a surrounding tide mark.
Boat... tide mark... lol like it. Will need another coat of white as I'm doing the Med markings. Will see how it covers. Would agree, with some sort of contamination. Admittedly only flashed over the hull and decks, but that's the only effected piece... so far.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Deffo a release agent issue. A second coat should clear that up. A warm soapy bath and a good rinse for the rest of it befor painting should out an end to that!
NB (latin for heads-up). Superglue does not like release agent (aka oil) either!

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Update
Well, starting to look like a boat. Have been doing a lot of sub assemblies, wood decking and wheel house. This was just a dry fit before gluing the deck in.
I've decided that PE is addictive, you start using it... and it's like hummm can I get tweezers on that. Mental. lol20231019_153435.jpg20231019_191130.jpg

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
NB (latin for heads-up). Superglue does not like release agent (aka oil) either!
Apart from the hull , it's been only superglue that been used, however I do have a tendency to scrape parts before glueing. Don't know why, just do...probably why I've gotten away with it. so far...

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Andy well i build ships an such but why is there a red an white stripes on the bow as ive seen this on some battleships but did not know why as to me it makes them easy to be seen an easy targets ?
chrisb

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
HI Andy well i build ships an such but why is there a red an white stripes on the bow as ive seen this on some battleships but did not know why as to me it makes them easy to be seen an easy targets ?
chrisb
Yep, totally agree. Like here I am, shoot me. Apparently though it's something to do with boats/ships operating in the Mediterranean, for identification from the air...
Andy

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Yep, totally agree. Like here I am, shoot me. Apparently though it's something to do with boats/ships operating in the Mediterranean, for identification from the air...
Andy
CHEERS for your reply Andy
chrisb

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks, I would certainly recommend if any one wanted to build the Italeri but it's too big. From what I've seen of photos this has as much detail, is half the size and cost. Oh yer and there's enough PE to keep the most ardent PEer happy, though some of it is ridiculously small. Have made an offering of some to the great carpet god. LOL

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The red and white stripes where indeed ID marks to stop friendly fire attack from the air. Not sure it was just a Mediterranean thing, I believe the Baltic vessels had them as well.
Well I hope so I painted my 1/35 in the same colours and she was on the Baltic. Very possible it has sailed in our local waters... There are some pictures of it on her some place.. The model that is.

Your 'mini' version is looking spectacularly good. Might have to grab one when I get the chance...

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
The red and white stripes where indeed ID marks to stop friendly fire attack from the air. Not sure it was just a Mediterranean thing, I believe the Baltic vessels had them as well.
Think it was a review of an Italeri that I saw the striping mentioned. Not seen any actual photos with the stripes on.
will have to have another look so I get the correct Flotilla, but that's a looong way off.

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Torpedo loading skids.
Does anyone know if these are lined with timber. Seems to me that it's not a good idea pushing steel against steel. Much better if they were lined with timber.
Shrugs shoulders.