Found. Flt. Sgt. Dennis Copping's missing WW2 P-40 aircraft. - Egypt 2012

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thank you Steven.

I've now dealt with the elevators as I did the rudder, except I broke one as I was filing off the residue inner plastic - Ping it went and gone.

So I've had to splice and glue in a new section.
As the Bat out of Hell song goes - 'Two out of three ain't bad'

You can see the repair on the left hand elevator.
P1260296.JPG

Now for the ribs!

Cheers.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Plastic card ribs and bits added to the rudder framework.
It might not be up to much, but it looks a bit like a naked rudder, and that does me nicely.
P1260301.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Andy and Paul.
I've made the ribs for the rudder and elevators using plastic card.
I figured that due to sand blasting, the bare metal would be a light grey and not shiny.

P1260308.JPG

P1260309.JPG

P1260312.JPG

I've also made a start on the bent metals around the aircraft.
P1260313.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looking good so far Ron, nice bit of "skull skratchery" going on there.
:thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:
Paul.
:smiling2:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for your post, Paul. It's helps to keep me going with the build.

Ron

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Now you've got me wondering 570......did these early "Warbirds" have aluminum or wooden ribs in their flight control surfaces? Just curious, not being critical. At any rate that is a first class job of skeletonizing the control surfaces. Perhaps some crusty bits of rotting fabric here and there to give it a "tattered" look? Tissue paper comes to mind....
Rick H.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Coming along nicely Ron, I’ve always wanted to build this diorama since I saw the photos of it. Your doing a cracking job so far.

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
Now you've got me wondering 570......did these early "Warbirds" have aluminum or wooden ribs in their flight control surfaces? Just curious, not being critical. At any rate that is a first class job of skeletonizing the control surfaces. Perhaps some crusty bits of rotting fabric here and there to give it a "tattered" look? Tissue paper comes to mind....
Rick H.

some pictures of the control surfaces.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the input chaps.

I daresay some members will be comparing my effort with the 'Real Thing' and perhaps expecting to see a go at a copy of Copping's crashed P-40.

Such a feat is way beyond me. I'm just trying to get as close as I can to capturing the essence of his long lost desert wreck, using images as excellent references.

Here's the cockpit area. I hacked out some missing bits of 'perspex', then brush painted the frame work, before applying a light grey/brown to the inside surfaces.

P1260329.JPG

P1260325.JPG

P1260326.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
I don't know what is the most impressive - your ideas or the execution. It really looks like it has spent decades in the desert.
Jim

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
Thanks for the input chaps.

I daresay some members will be comparing my effort with the 'Real Thing' and observing 'This and that are not right.' and expecting an exact copy of Copping's crashed P-40.

Such a feat is way beyond me. I'm just trying to get as close as I can to capturing the essence of his long lost desert wreck, using images as excellent references.

Here's the cockpit area. I hacked out some missing bits of 'perspex', then brush painted the frame work, before applying a light grey/brown to the inside surfaces.

View attachment 384902

View attachment 384903

View attachment 384904

Cheers.
Ron
I am impressed with what you are doing, anything I have posted is info only.
I don't count rivets, I aim for something close that a human eye would see at 10 metres plus.
Mainly due to my deteriorating sight.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Jim... :thumb2:

Gary, I hope I haven't ruffled a couple of feathers of yours. It was never my intention to do so, and I apologize if I did. I appreciate yours, or any other info posted. As a bonus, it shows folks are looking in too!

My last post wasn't aimed at you, but, indirectly at those who possibly might go comparing like for like where this build is concerned.

I'm just using the great pictures of the wreck to get some sense of what I'm aiming for with my model.

Again, sorry for any misunderstanding.

Ron

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
Thanks Jim... :thumb2:

Gary, I hope I haven't ruffled a couple of feathers of yours. It was never my intention to do so, and I apologize if I did. I appreciate yours, or any other info posted. As a bonus, it shows folks are looking in too!

My last post wasn't aimed at you, but, indirectly at those who possibly might go comparing like for like where this build is concerned, and there just might be..... ;)

I'm just using the great pictures of the wreck to get some sense of what I'm aiming for with my model.

Again, sorry for any misunderstanding.

Ron
You didn't.
As I said, I am impressed with what you are doing.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Well 570 looks like I've done it again...Sorry if I mucked up your build with my Rhetorical questions and musings, but I did learn that the flight controls are definitely made of aluminum. So curiosity killed the cat,so to speak. As Gary stated, your efforts so far are impressive
and I am looking forward to more of the same. :thumb2: Rick H.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hi Rick - Sorry, I seem to have rocked the boat a bit.
My post was not aimed at you or Gary. Both your inputs were more than welcome, and your 'Musings' were sound. I knew the ribs were alyoominiumm, I just forgot to reply to your post, sorry.

I just wanted to make it clear to would be 'Compare'zees that I wasn't trying to make an exact copy - I couldn't if I tried!

Ron

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks Ron, for a time there I sort of felt like I was the one that kicked the crust off the proverbial:poop: pile and had attracted a load of flies. At any rate, I'm glad that is sorted so you can move on with this terrific piece of historic modeling. On a different note, I shared your Anniversary pics with the Missus and she noticed on your avatar, spanner 570 and being the cryptic person she is, wondered if the 570 stood for May 1970...........:thinking: Cheers, Rick H.