From the Scale Modellers workbench-Making decals.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
5f949f80.jpg
5f743d00.jpg
5f51c060.jpg
5f1b4470.jpg
5f3904d0.jpg

Making your own special markings can be much easier than you think in decal form,dont just stick to the colours shown in the kits but research the markings that interest you most.

The pictures show the different stages in making the decal,firstly lay a small piece of Scotch extra clear tape onto a shiny surface,a piece of glass,plastic sheet will do fine,next with a fine 000 brush paint in the design or markings required,you could even use permanent marker pens and then fill in with the enamel or acrylic paint.

Now with a scalpel knife carefully lift off the prepared decal and place into position onto the model,to make sure it is attached use an artists rubber shaper tool as shown ( obtainable from artists supply shops ) you can burnish the surface making sure that the edges are pressed well down,now with some Johnsons Klear ( sold as floor polish ) flood the surface making sure that the edges of the decal are sealed properly,this will blend in the tape nicely and also protect the markings at the same time.

This is a simple way to make small decals and is much easier than trying to paint them direct onto the models awkward curved ( and sometimes hidden )surface,all that you need is a steady hand and patience to turn your own designs and creations into easily made homemade transfer decals.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

George

Home made Decals

Using thinned down paint and a fine brush paint the design that you want onto extra clear Scotch tape,the tape is shown here placed onto a piece of plastic sheet,a piece of glass will do or anything shiny that the tape can be lifted from.

Here is a simple way to make small decals that is much easier than trying to paint them direct onto the model.

There is another excellent way to produce small decals that only requires a steady hand to produce them,on the market is an extra clear version of the well known scotch tape,the beauty is that it has a matt surface which can easily be painted onto,start by sticking a small piece of the tape to a piece of glass or even plastic sheet will do,once this is flat on your workbench it is easy to paint in the lettering or markings required,you can even use a permanent marker if you wish or make the outlines with the marker and fill in with a 000 sized brush and enamel or acrylic paint,the idea is that it is much easier to paint onto a flat surface rather than struggle to hold the model and work on a tricky curved surface-
Barry have you tried the sheets that you use on the computor????????? just wondering how good they are :fireworks

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
George,I am working on this at the moment,what I thought of doing was aligning up the clear tape against a thin plastic sheet that will go through the printer,then print the design/lettering and peel them off,I know that you can get this prepared decal sheet but this is just a variation using a self adhesive technique,the Scotch tape has a certain amount of flexibility about it,you can pull it around a curve and even apply the tip of an iron provided that you have a piece of tissue between the iron and the decal.

G

George

Home made decals

George' date='I am working on this at the moment,what I thought of doing was aligning up the clear tape against a thin plastic sheet that will go through the printer,then print the design/lettering and peel them off,I know that you can get this prepared decal sheet but this is just a variation using a self adhesive technique,the Scotch tape has a certain amount of flexibility about it,you can pull it around a curve and even apply the tip of an iron provided that you have a piece of tissue between the iron and the decal.[/quote']Barry it will be interesting to see how you get along. I have only come accross one guy who has used the stuff and I would like a bit more feed back before I spend cash on something that may not be all it is expected. I of course would be using it on scale warships :fireworks :fireworks :zoo_taz:

First Name
David
Barry it will be interesting to see how you get along. I have only come accross one guy who has used the stuff and I would like a bit more feed back before I spend cash on something that may not be all it is expected. I of course would be using it on scale warships :fireworks :fireworks :zoo_taz:
I have used the white vinyl decal sheet from Overlander with good effect and Greyhead used it on his Parnall Elf, we discussed it at the bottom of here

G

George

I have used the white vinyl decal sheet from Overlander with good effect and Greyhead used it on his Parnall Elf' date=' we discussed it at the bottom of here
Dave, do you have a web site address for this supplier

thnx

First Name
David
Dave, do you have a web site address for this supplierthnx
The Overlander website is http://www.overlander.co.uk/new/default.asp

The inkjet vinyl is the first item under Accessories. I used Standard quality which works fine but do remember it takes a fair while to dry sufficiently for it not to smudge and to give it a couple of coats of clear lacquer spray to fuel proof and protect it.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Thanks again Dave,I had not realised that it was a vinyl based product,they do a waterslide version as well.

Regarding the drying time I understand that it is best to try and use the photo quality ink cartridges,they have more absorption on shiny surfaces than standard inks,needless to say they are more expensive.

First Name
David
Thanks again Dave' date='I had not realised that it was a vinyl based product,they do a waterslide version as well.[/quote']Do you know who sells the water slide version Barry? This is what I was really looking for but couldn't find a supplier so bought the vinyl.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Do you know who sells the water slide version Barry? This is what I was really looking for but couldn't find a supplier so bought the vinyl.
*** No problem Dave,try-

Little-cars.com

Uncle Jacks,

Lavendon Road,

Olney,

Bucks,

MK46 4HH,

UK

Tel:01234-711980

info@little-cars.co.uk

I think that it was around £12.00 a pack of A4 sized sheets.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Malcolm Fisher

waterslide decals

I used to make my own water slide transfers by painting the adhesive side of "licky sticky" paper.

Paint the glue with clear dope or polyurethane varnish or and allow to dry.

Use enamels to create your chosen decal and again allow to dry thoroughly.

Soak in water and slide into position on the model - press out surplus water carefully with tissue or a soft cloth - leave at least overnight to allow all wqater to dry off.

Paint over with fuel proofer.

This is probably no good for film covered models but works very well on painted surfaces.

Malcolm