Fruil metal tracks

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Evening all

Trying to find a quicker way or a method to make them quicker to join etc.

Been joining them one by one, adding pin, then glue. Then adding next link, etc. Is there any type of jig, which could hold a run of links together so the pins could be added quicker??

Thanks bob

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
No Bob not that I know.
I sit and drill then all out from the front, once that's done construct about 5 join then another 5 till you have enough.
Once that is done, turn on the edge with the wires sticking up and apply the glue, but not to the last few. When you are happy with the tension you can then glue all but one.
The last one needs A LONGER THAN NORMAL piece of wire but don't glue yet. Remove tracks , paint, do the hull ect .Paint the tracks or treat , then refit, cut of the over length wire and apply a spot of CA to the last one.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Is there any type of jig, which could hold a run of links together so the pins could be added quicker??
You can make your own jig with two-part epoxy putty: mix up some putty, roll it into a sausage shape, put some cling film over it and press a length of track into it. Leave to harden, then remove film and track — you should now have a jig that you can put a number of track links into, without having to hold them in place by hand.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
You can make your own jig with two-part epoxy putty: mix up some putty, roll it into a sausage shape, put some cling film over it and press a length of track into it. Leave to harden, then remove film and track — you should now have a jig that you can put a number of track links into, without having to hold them in place by hand.
Interesting idea ??

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi, do not think so?

I have the trumpeter one which looks similar and is designed for tracks like magin link. It would have to expose the ends of the links so you can insert the wires

Thanks for the post

Bob

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Bob,some people use double-sided tape , have a look at Scale War Machines on UTube , just put in Fruil tracks on Scale War Machine.
The guy shows how to do it, I did try it but didn't like it, but it might suite you .

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Bob,

You may also want to consider MasterClub, they now do a series of metal track links, I like these as
unlike "Fruils" the track pin hole is pre-drilled. I still run a drill bit through them just to be sure :nerd: -
'cos I'm a glutton for punishment :flushed: but have not had a problem so far.

Built my own jig from 3 strips of wood about 8" lengths. Is it for the Panzer III or IV series?

HTH,

Paul.
:smiling:

Reactions: JR

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Bob,
No need for a jig, clean up the holes and assemble about 10 links, as the wire does not go all the way through you can then stand the length on its side and with a pin dip it into a pool of c/a and add a dab to the end of each link and the c/a will only stay at the end of the hole with the brass wire. After a couple of minutes you can trim off the excess with side cutters. Here is a pic of some M-113 track links I made for my Israeli M-113 fitters vehicle before paint.
Mike.
20201115_164717.jpg

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Bob,

You may also want to consider MasterClub, they now do a series of metal track links, I like these as
unlike "Fruils" the track pin hole is pre-drilled. I still run a drill bit through them just to be sure :nerd: -
'cos I'm a glutton for punishment :flushed: but have not had a problem so far.

Built my own jig from 3 strips of wood about 8" lengths. Is it for the Panzer III or IV series?

HTH,

Paul.
:smiling:
Hi Paul

StuG aka Pz 111, will have a look at them, ta very much. A pain but do look dogs!

Bob,
No need for a jig, clean up the holes and assemble about 10 links, as the wire does not go all the way through you can then stand the length on its side and with a pin dip it into a pool of c/a and add a dab to the end of each link and the c/a will only stay at the end of the hole with the brass wire. After a couple of minutes you can trim off the excess with side cutters. Here is a pic of some M-113 track links I made for my Israeli M-113 fitters vehicle before paint.
Mike.
View attachment 404621
Evening Mike

Good idea, lots to mess about with, much appreciated

Bob

First Name
Wouter
Hi Bob, hope all is well.

Another tip, I'm using Friul tracks like forever and I actually found that you don't need to glue the pins in place, I never do that and the pins never come out. Spares you a bit of time as well ^^

Cheers

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Wouter

Not bad thanks, good to hear from you. They do look great but a lot of prep.

Thanks for the hard earned advice!
Bob