Fujimi 1/48 FW 190 D9 WARNING!!!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I am in no hurry to start the group build but I saw this t'other day on Ebay going cheap.....

I am only an aircraft newbie but when I opened the box I had to do a double take....There are hardly any bits to glue together, a lack of detail, the pilot looks like a lump of blu-tak, it is hardly worth making.......

However, as I will not be beaten and I refuse to buy another kit, I have a cunning plan for the build!

I have posted this more as a warning to anyone who sees this kit...Think twice!!!!!!!!!

Ron

View attachment 22544

FW 190..jpg

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
If you need a pilot Ron, i have one going spare matey in 1:48 scale.

John

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the offer John, very kind of you, but to be honest the kit is awful, even with a good pilot.

I must confess it knocked me back a bit with any notion of trying to do a decent build and paint job of it, but as I said I have a plan......Bit of lateral thinking has been done so I can still have fun and join in the build.

Thanks again, John.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Oh dear. Guess which one I got! I better have a look and see just what you're on about!

Boo hoo! That could delay the start of my build.

Gern

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Gern, you might think it O.K. but when I see the detail which should be in a 1/48 kit then I look at the one I bought, I think it is a grossly inferior kit. Because of this I tend to loose interest a bit, if you see what I mean?

You might have a different take on it, I will be interested to read what you say when you have opened the box!

Ron

Edit:- there was also a bit missing (part no. 3)

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Ron,

I've had a look at this thing, and you're quite right. There's not much detail to see. I've only got two other kits in 1/48. A Monogram AC-47 and a Revell CH-53, and neither of these (at least the early Revell stuff) could be considered leaders in the field when it comes to detail, but both seem better than this - although I wouldn't want to live on the difference!

I can't afford to shop at the top end of the market for the large scale kits I like, so my experience with the detail available from these guys is limited; and comparing what Tamiya and Trumpeter offer in 1/35 with these offerings in 1/48 seems very unfair.

Anyway, without wanting to ramble on too much, while I'm not ecstatic about this Fujimi kit, I think it will serve my purpose. Especially bearing in mind it cost me less than a tenner! And with a steady hand, even the 'lump of blu-tak' they supply in lieu of a pilot might come in very handy!

Gern

PS I wonder if your bit of lateral thinking has led you to the same place I got to when I decided what I wanted to build? 'cos, like you have said, my choice means I can certainly live without the extra details available in more expensive kits!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Dave, at least it wasn't just me being picky then, you have come to the same conclusion.

Constraints of the purse strings prevent me from getting another 190 so, like you I will have to make the most of a bad kit...

I am going to do a diorama showing just the tail sticking out of the ground entitled " Straight in from 20,000ft"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best of luck to you and all 190ers with the build.

Ron

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
\ said:
I am going to do a diorama showing just the tail sticking out of the ground entitled " Straight in from 20,000ft"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now that sounds like fun, good luck Ron.

John

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Sounds good Ron.

My build isn't quite so drastic. I'm at work at the moment (naughty me!) but I'll be doing some pics and starting my build thread tonight. You'll be able to see then why I don't need the finer details!

I did mean to ask whether there were any problems with the dimensions/profile/general shape of this kit. You didn't mention any, and I'm not expert enough to know.

Gern

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Sounds good Ron.My build isn't quite so drastic. I'm at work at the moment (naughty me!) but I'll be doing some pics and starting my build thread tonight. You'll be able to see then why I don't need the finer details!

I did mean to ask whether there were any problems with the dimensions/profile/general shape of this kit. You didn't mention any, and I'm not expert enough to know.

Gern
I know the propeller goes one end Dave, and a little wheel at the other. That is my knowledge of this model....

What I do know, the detail and quality of the kit is rubbish. Hey ho! Onwards and upwards my friend.

Ron

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Ron , i have every faith in you matey. Sometimes kits are like life , its what you make of it , im certain youll come out with a great result,and just think of the satisfaction youll get from making a diamond out of a dog turd!! cheers tony

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I don't want to be accused of copying anyone - so can I make a turd from a diamond please? Then I ain't gotta worry that my efforts won't be in the same league as everyone else's!

Gern