Future projects...

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Well I am progressing towards retirement. Business sale on course for 31st March, then a couple of months ‘transition’ helping the new owners with the handover and then.... hopefully an end to lockdown, a return to pubs and restaurants, a cruise or several... and, more modelling time... The truth is that I don’t expect to spend that much more time building models compared to lockdown but I will have the freedom to do so.

but what will I build?

I have just six 1/32 projects in the stash and I will add 1/32 subjects in future but the focus will be more on new releases....

The Stuka next then, perhaps the P40 followed by the P47. I will then focus in the three Zoukei Muras (Raiden, Hs129, Ki45) but what order I do them in depends on whether MRP have released their IJA and IJA paint ranges.

I also have the 1/48 HKM B17 in the stash with the 1/48 Lancaster to be added as a retirement gift soon when available (it looks great in ‘in box’ reviews)..

That being the case I think I will focus on more 1/48s with a run of WW2 bombers in that scale.

Ordered from John today are three ICM kits:
JU88
He111
Do17

I have also managed to secure an order for the Trumpeter Wellington...

So a move into 1/48 and it makes sense to use this scale to supplement my 1/32 builds. But what about a 1/48 wish list. Larger aircraft only, as I will always prefer a decent 1/32 but there are a lot of kits unlikely to see such a tooling or would not be practical in 1/32.

I would love the other two ETO four engined bombers Halifax and B24, ideally from HKM, I am not bothered with the old tool Revell/Monogram kits for any of my wish list.

Others I would like to see from HKM, ICM, Tamiya or another decent company:
B26
SM79 (not the poor Trumpeter lit)
B25 (likely from HKM)
Short Sunderland
Catalina

But what else would you suggest? Either existing larger 1/48 aircraft or hoped for releases.....

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
The 1/48 Trumpeter Fw200 C4 (02814) kit is meant to be a good kit to build. Defo fits the 'larger' bill

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
That sound good Alan. I will take a look. Great suggestion thank you.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Apparently has a 68cm wingspan. Large enough? lol

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Barry,
one of your wish list is already available either as B-26 or A-26
a-26.jpg
Dave
EDIT - OOPs I realise you might mean the B-26 Marauder ! - American number foul up!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 5496

Retire Barry you are to young. I retired at 65 from architecture then started two more businesses (not architecture 50 years was enough). Eventually 75 seemed a good idea to have a sit down. So did making models.

Now I am all for dioramas. How about some. I am on my 4th & they are each 8ft (2.4m) long. Great scope undulating base to give authenticity. Places aircraft helicopters in their natural enviroment. Plus scratch built buildings fences windmills. I have found all of this very exciting.

Another plus. If you take a subject for a diorama you will build models you have never thought of. Another plus it keeps the mind athletic & imaginative. Always thinking up new ideas for that diorama. Very pleasing to see the diorama grow. You are never finished.

Also when family, friends visitors even A&E (recently) delve into to my room to have a look. Interesting that one of the A&E opertives had actually served in Afghanistan & was fascinated with that diorama & the Jacal & Coyote he had seved in.

There you go. Enjoy your retirement but keep the brain cells moving. An egg a day seems to help experts say.

Finaslly just going off to do my chef bit that i have grown to like very much since retirement.. Share cooking with my wife not sure she likes all my concoctions but improving. Vegetable curry tonight.

Laurie

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Barry
The Short Stirling would complete the British four engined line up.....

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
[QUOTE="Dave Ward, post: 550480, member: 6573"

Dave
EDIT - OOPs I realise you might mean the B-26 Marauder ! - American number foul up!
[/QUOTE]
Marauder indeed Dave but I don’t rule out the Invader.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I’d love the room for any of them, let alone all three :thumb2:

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
So, added to my list:
ICM Invader