Gato Class

B

BlazingPenguin

Just a 'toe in the water' kinda question....would anyone be interested in a Gato class hull, say...around 7.5ft?

B

Bunkerbarge

Wow!!, that's a big sub!

Not my cup of tea I'm afraid but hopefully someone will fancy bringing it to life. Quite an undertaking at that size!

B

BlazingPenguin

Bigger than then the Engel....much, much smaller than a 32nd Parallel.

I have acquired the mould and just wanted see if there would be any interest, at that size she is ideal for a two piece surface runner I think.

N

new to trains

i may be interested..... ( just wondering how i could sneak this indoors without the wife spotting it !!!!)

but seriously i may be interested, do you have any more details ?- what sort of cost are we looking at for a set of mouldings ? where are you located- just thinking about the practicalities of this !

cheers

Guy

B

BlazingPenguin

Not got that far yet...but this is not a business, just an idea to cover my other modelling costs. Still to cost the resin and matting. Labour, like most model boat projects are written off eh?

Planning to supply left & right halves of the hull and hopefully the same for the conning tower when I make a mould for that, when it does take off, I'll post here...pics too!

N

new to trains

this is why i do my model railway mouldings, to cover the cost of the bits i need !

but seriously please keep me up to date on the progress of this Gato, i may well be in the market for a set of mouldings..

B

BlazingPenguin

Mould is ready to roll...offered plans this afternoon for a Gato, so hopefully I can get the conning tower started/moulded soon too.

Also interested in 'swaps' for a pull from this mould so....whatever!

What size is 'N' guage in relation to model boats then?

Waddya mould?

Pics?

M

Mankster

Would love to see some pics when you pull the first hull!

N

new to trains

Mould is ready to roll...offered plans this afternoon for a Gato, so hopefully I can get the conning tower started/moulded soon too.Also interested in 'swaps' for a pull from this mould so....whatever!

What size is 'N' guage in relation to model boats then?

Waddya mould?

Pics?
i mould scenic details for model railways...( alot of this goes back to my time spent making architectural models)- i mould walls, tunnels, buildings, bridge piers, abbuttments , platforms, viaducts, culverts, shipping containers, protakabins/ site huts, crates, barrels and general freight, and lots of other bits n bobs.....

i mould these items in various scales..... N scale mostly 1:160 scale, but also do some stuff in HO/OO scale too, do some limited items in Z scale too......

will PM you a link to my PDF catalogue......

N

Nigel.D

I love subs But i think il stick to static models ! Mind you it would make an impressive display

B

BlazingPenguin

Speakinf of statics....I have an 'Accurate Armour' type 7 that used to dive but is now just taking up space that me be looking for a new home soon.

N

Nigel.D

Ohhhhhhh am interested verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyy (quick i gotta hide in case the domestic authorities see )

B

Bunkerbarge

Can you explain a bit more about this model. The Accurate Armour model is only a waterline kit so has it been completed with a scratchbuilt lower hull?

Is it a static or a dynamic diver?

What ballasting arrangements are fitted?

When you say used to dive, is it still capable or are the internals past it?

I would appreciate as much information as possible as the AA resin kit is a very nice kit and I have seen one converted to a full hull before.

B

BlazingPenguin

This is an 'AA' supplied upper and lower kit!

It has a large green WTC of sorts fitted and did dive/run, but is now empty. I'll drag it into the garden and get some pics when I can.

B

Bunkerbarge

This is an 'AA' supplied upper and lower kit!It has a large green WTC of sorts fitted and did dive/run, but is now empty. I'll drag it into the garden and get some pics when I can.
That sounds interesting, I didn't think they ever made the lower half. I look forward to seeing some pictures of it.

N

new to trains

but what about the huge gato........ i measured the car at the weeking - it will fit !!!!!!!!!!!!

B

BlazingPenguin

Have to attend a neighbouring clubs show this weekend, our own next week end, so.....my mates just bought the resin/pigment/catalyst to have go the week after that!

I'll try to get pics for my website for thos interested.

As I said before though, at 7.5ft ifyour stuck for space, or have a smaller car. This is way big enough to make into a 2 piece boat...

B

Bunkerbarge

Unfortunately, I'm more interested in the U-Boat!!

Do you have any pictures?

N

Nigel.D

me too and dont forget i asked before Richard!!!!!!!!!!!! (nah nah na na nah)