German 3 ton 4x2 ~ Tamiya 1/35 (Opel Blitz)

D

David MAdsen

This is just a quick side build I wanted to do. I'm only a year into scale models, so any advice would be appreciated.

T

tommy1drop

Got me hooked, i will be keeping an eye on this build as i like soft skin vehicles.

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
looking good keep my eye on this one

geegad

A

AJay

Very nice, indeed. What colours did you use paint the benchseat? Looks very realistic to my eye.

D

David MAdsen

Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments!! I first painted with Tamiya Khaki, then after that dried used a raw umber artist oil. You can find that in any hobby store. I lightly covered the seat with the oil paint and with a dry brush with just a very small amount of thinner slowly brushed the oil paint off. The oil paint stays in the cracks and gives more variation in color. I also used red and yellow oil paint in the middle of the seats in a random pattern and blended with a dry brush giving it a worn look. I'll have to show a demo sometime.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I built the 1/35 Italeri version of this and even at this early stage in the build, I noticed straight away there is more detail with your Tamiya Blitz than in the Italeri one.

Cracking job on the weathering, particularily the seats.

Ron

T

tommy1drop

Big thumbs up so far, looking forward to seeing more of the build...

D

David MAdsen

Glad you're enjoying it. I'm liking this build, it's a newer Tamiya kit, newer than I'm used to and it's been clean and fun.

D

David MAdsen

All primed and have a coat of German Grey XF-63. I was originally going to have this in the European Campaign but recently decided since I've been on the topic of Africa with my other kits I've decided to go ahead with that. So my next step I'm going to experiment with the hairspray chipping method since I don't much like the salt method and paint with Dark Yellow, XF-60.

D

David MAdsen

Painted with a desert yellow with a hairspray undercoat for the chipping effect, first time doing this myself. I perhaps overdid it. Next time I won't be so strong with it. Next step is future and then decals and then future again. I'll then start with post shading with thinned artist oils.

D

David MAdsen

Decided to paint the underside gray as many times they were spared in the desert painted process. Applied decals and future wax coat, Now I'm ready for a oil wash postshading.

D

David MAdsen

FINISHED!...I think. I've done all that I think I can do. Any ideas on improvements or things I can do different next time around?

So here I used artist oil for post shading.

I don't have a huge selection of paints available at home so I used a model masters dark tan thinned down for a dust filter.

And once again, not many pigments to choose from, I used a Mig dry mud. Not sure if this is an accurate representation of Africa weathering. I may have used too much water, there were some spots that remained darker.

B

Bunkerbarge

I've really enjoyed watching this go together and seeing how the various effects have come out and want to thank you for taking the considerable time to share the build with us so comprehensively.

From what you have said in the text I think you already are aware of some things that could be improved on and I agree that the hairspray chipping technique has ended up looking a bit too much. I think that in combination with quite heavy applications of dust and dirt effects has obliterated quite a lot of the original paint scheme, which generally remains more intact than European colour schemes did. I think we have to consider that this vehicle has had a pretty hard life! I think for a dessert scheme in this scale paint chippings would look very effective if done with the sponge technique and a metalic grey paint. I think you would find this far more controllable and you could be a lot more specific in the application.

Having said that it's still a lovely model, after my first year of modelling I was still wondering whether it was worth painting my battleships as they were in grey plastic anyway!!!

D

David MAdsen

\ said:
I've really enjoyed watching this go together and seeing how the various effects have come out and want to thank you for taking the considerable time to share the build with us so comprehensively.From what you have said in the text I think you already are aware of some things that could be improved on and I agree that the hairspray chipping technique has ended up looking a bit too much. I think that in combination with quite heavy applications of dust and dirt effects has obliterated quite a lot of the original paint scheme, which generally remains more intact than European colour schemes did. I think we have to consider that this vehicle has had a pretty hard life! I think for a dessert scheme in this scale paint chippings would look very effective if done with the sponge technique and a metalic grey paint. I think you would find this far more controllable and you could be a lot more specific in the application.

Having said that it's still a lovely model, after my first year of modelling I was still wondering whether it was worth painting my battleships as they were in grey plastic anyway!!!
Thanks for the tip, I appreciate your input. You are right, I pretty much spent all that time with the chipping and just ended up covering it with the dust. I'll have to give the sponge method try, I haven't done that before.

B

Bunkerbarge

Just cut up a car wash sponge into small chunks and wipe it into a paint mix on a saucer. Use enamels as acrylics dry too fast and gently dab the sponge onto the raised detail areas and edges. Have a play on scrap first until you are happy with the results. I think you will be pleased with the results.

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
Absolutely bang on you've done a cracking job on all three fronts build'paint'weathering spot on would take pride of place in any model collection. Look forward to the nxt project John

First Name
Aaron
i agree awesome atempt, maybe a test aplication to try new methods first,very ballsy and apreciated attempt.nice job