German Camo Practice

D

dubster72

\ said:
Although it would take a lot of practice and skill, you cannot say that mottles and faded camo can't be done with a brush, the painting below proves it! However, an airbrush does simplify the process somewhat?
View attachment 144116

Also worth remembering that tha artist responsible for tha above image was crap with Photo etch!

:D
But what does the surface of that painting feel like - smooth enough to work in modelling scales? ;)

First Name
Dave
\ said:
From what I've read on various forums Dave, mottling is tough to get right using Vallejo paints (I'm assuming that these are your weapon of choice).
Using enamels is far easier for fine work, so even though you might not prefer to use them it could be worth having some just for that.
I haven't tried spraying enamels I might have a go in the warmer weather when I can open the windows.

Dave

J

John Rixon

\ said:
But what does the surface of that painting feel like - smooth enough to work in modelling scales? ;)
Can't speak for that particular painting, as I just grabbed it off the web for an example, but I can tell you I have encountered photo-realist painters, old and new, where the surface is extremely smooth, as the effect is built up from really fine layers - again, little more than dirty turps! True, they take months to paint, but I'm just sayin' like! ;)

D

dubster72

\ said:
Can't speak for that particular painting, as I just grabbed it off the web for an example, but I can tell you I have encountered photo-realist painters, old and new, where the surface is extremely smooth, as the effect is built up from really fine layers - again, little more than dirty turps! True, they take months to paint, but I'm just sayin' like! ;)
That would suit me then - it takes me months to do a model! :P

First Name
Robert
I would like to join this discussion on camo painting as I could do with some tips too. In the planning stage I have a Jagdpanzer that will be late war say 1945. What I plan is it being on side of road out of gas and I've done the research with help from members here.

What I'm thinking though and this came up with my last build of German armour, should you go all the way for authenticity with AFV in painting schemes ( should the vehicle be sprayed the dark reddish primer first then do you completely spray over with the dark yellow before adding the tri colours scheme? Or would it just be easier to tape off areas that you want the original primer colour to stand out ( say through paint chipping ( battle damage etc

Is this going too far with the painting process ( even though you know it's correct at the end result?

Plus I've never sprayed a tri colour scheme ( I brush painted a morocycle and side car 1/35 and that was easy ish, blending I find hard to spray too

Robert

D

dubster72

\ said:
I would like to join this discussion on camo painting as I could do with some tips too. In the planning stage I have a Jagdpanzer that will be late war say 1945. What I plan is it being on side of road out of gas and I've done the research with help from members here.
What I'm thinking though and this came up with my last build of German armour, should you go all the way for authenticity with AFV in painting schemes ( should the vehicle be sprayed the dark reddish primer first then do you completely spray over with the dark yellow before adding the tri colours scheme? Or would it just be easier to tape off areas that you want the original primer colour to stand out ( say through paint chipping ( battle damage etc

Is this going too far with the painting process ( even though you know it's correct at the end result?

Plus I've never sprayed a tri colour scheme ( I brush painted a morocycle and side car 1/35 and that was easy ish, blending I find hard to spray too

Robert
Robert you're first port of call is to research the unit markings that come with the kit. If it's the new Tamiya Jagdpanzer (lang), the kit painting guide is pretty accurate as far as I'm aware.

Most AFVs in this time were painted at the factory in a hard-edged tri-colour scheme, sometimes with dots or with the disc pattern.

This is one from the SS 1st Panzer, Hungary 1945

Jagdpanzer-IV-L70V_Ausf-H-late_1.png

This is another of the SS 1st Panzer Division, sporting the disc pattern

jagdpanzer_iv___1st_ss_panzer_division__lssah___hungary__march_1945.jpg

This is

the13th Panzer Division, Hungary, January 1945

Jagdpanzer-IV-L70V_late-type-1945.png

I don't bother with spraying a red-oxide base coat, or prefer to chip the model using the sponge chipping method once the camo is finished.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:

Robert
Rob if you really want an authentic look you should mask up your tank to get a solid line as in 1/35 scale it would appear that way if your 50 ' from a tank however if you wanted it to look good as other modellers see it as good you can do it free hand so you get a soft outline to the camo this will take a bit of practice

First Name
Robert
\ said:
Rob if you really want an authentic look you should mask up your tank to get a solid line as in 1/35 scale it would appear that way if your 50 ' from a tank however if you wanted it to look good as other modellers see it as good you can do it free hand so you get a soft outline to the camo this will take a bit of practice
I aim to please ( am I worthy am I worthy ) :D :D:p:D:D:D:D

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
I aim to please ( am I worthy am I worthy ) :D :D:p:D:D:D:D
Of course you are mate I've seen some of your work :smiling3: I personally like to see it exaggerated so you can see its AB it just looks better

The trick is doing it with a brush and I'm 80% there :D

First Name
Robert
\ said:
Robert you're first port of call is to research the unit markings that come with the kit. If it's the new Tamiya Jagdpanzer (lang), the kit painting guide is pretty accurate as far as I'm aware.
Most AFVs in this time were painted at the factory in a hard-edged tri-colour scheme, sometimes with dots or with the disc pattern.

This is one from the SS 1st Panzer, Hungary 1945

View attachment 144136

This is another of the SS 1st Panzer Division, sporting the disc pattern

View attachment 144137

This is

the13th Panzer Division, Hungary, January 1945

View attachment 144138

I don't bother with spraying a red-oxide base coat, or prefer to chip the model using the sponge chipping method once the camo is finished.
The middle one looks nice but I'm planning on it as returning to Germany ( defence of ( possibly Hungary sounds a good bet) and well running out of fuel and on the roadside ( many ref pics show this AFV in b/w pics

The Tamyia new build shows 3 examples 2 of which are unknown units. I think the dots would look nice on the camo and as Alan has said masking sharp lines on camo would be right, I do have white tac and have heard this can give a sharp separate line between camo but also panzer putty ( not tried the latter). Scott has suggested some other units too.

I suppose it's wanting to try new ideas with camo painting but we are all perfectionists and I would rather take my time and get it half decent than make a half hearted attempt. I like the comments as they open my mind and teach me new tricks