German Camo Practice

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
What you you have achieved with handbrushing these models is great.
Cheers Ralph I appreciate that , long way to go with the standard camo but the winter is coming along very nicely

D

dubster72

\ said:
Once again i stand corrected!
I hesitated in posting back on this forum, but my hesitation was founded, i shall remain clear of this shit forum.
Dave, for heaven's sake! I haven't corrected you, merely increased your knowledge perhaps?

One of the main reasons for this, or any other, forum to exist is the sharing & learning of new information.

Because of what's happened before, we might not be fast friends but that doesn't mean we can't coexist on here.

N

noble

Its looking good there Alan the panzer IV looks just right, as for the other I think both skills have merit and their down sides.

scott

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Its looking good there Alan the panzer IV looks just right, as for the other I think both skills have merit and their down sides.
scott
Cheers Scot your absolutely right it needs work , I have some academy kits I can work on :smiling3:

Give me six months and it will look good :D

D

Deleted member 4539

This looks good Alan.

Are you using a stippling motion?

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
This looks good Alan.
Are you using a stippling motion?
Cheers Ralph, Yes I'm using the stippling motion but not a stippling brush , I'm using a round brush with a rounded tip so the bristles don't flare out and keeps the paint more in the centre, believe it or not it's a basic humbrol brush , so now they can actually be useful:smiling3:

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
That is some superb brushwork Alan ........... I'm all for brushes, it's what i grew up with. I did try an airbrush once, but as far as I was concerned it was a lot of Fannying around for not a lot of advantage............ I'm not nearly as good as you (and a lot of others) with a brush, but, as with all things in this hobby. I try to learn a bit as I go along. :smiling3:

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
\ said:
over the last week I've been practicing how to paint camo on tanks in this case German , I've found a way that looks good although to do it to an acceptable level is going to take a lot of practice but it can be done as the photos will indicate
The best way I've found is to dry brush this is a panzer IV I built some time back and it's turned into a practice piece

This has several different attempts so it's not uniform but I thought I'd so off the best attempt so far and then there's some photos of it in winter camo so it's become an actual build instead of just a lump with different colours on it

Please feel free to offer advice/comments View attachment 140356View attachment 140357these are shots of the left and right side of the turret I'd like you to concentrate on as you can see the dry brushing has created a sort of blended effect this does need practice it's not how I would present a model but this will come and I think in a month or so I will have a viable effect and in six months it will look like it's been airbrushed

This is the winter camo

View attachment 140358 View attachment 140359 View attachment 140360 This is also a practice for a T34 I have planed
............ and that Winter Camo is superbly done.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
That is some superb brushwork Alan ........... I'm all for brushes, it's what i grew up with. I did try an airbrush once, but as far as I was concerned it was a lot of Fannying around for not a lot of advantage............ I'm not nearly as good as you (and a lot of others) with a brush, but, as with all things in this hobby. I try to learn a bit as I go along. :smiling3:
Cheers Peter I appreciate that

It just takes practice using a brush so keep trying and it all comes together, I'm not the best brush painter by far

When I have got this as far as it can go I'll post a step by step tutorial , its the one downside with brush painting , no mater how much information you put in a tutorial it still takes a lot of practice to get right

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Cheers Ralph I know what method to use now so just a little bit more practice and I'll be ready to try it on a proper build

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looks good Alan I do like that patten,well done, ;)

First Name
Dave
I tend to use both methods the main colour is sprayed weathering brushed but I'm having a go at all brushed at the moment so fingers crossed. I have a ju52 I want to do in winter camo but I'm way off attempting that. But seeing other folks trying techniques inspires me.

The only spray technique I would love to learn is painting thin lines and mottling but I just get runs and spits.

Dave

J

John Rixon

Although it would take a lot of practice and skill, you cannot say that mottles and faded camo can't be done with a brush, the painting below proves it! However, an airbrush does simplify the process somewhat?

image.jpeg

Also worth remembering that tha artist responsible for tha above image was crap with Photo etch!

:D

D

dubster72

\ said:
I tend to use both methods the main colour is sprayed weathering brushed but I'm having a go at all brushed at the moment so fingers crossed. I have a ju52 I want to do in winter camo but I'm way off attempting that. But seeing other folks trying techniques inspires me.
The only spray technique I would love to learn is painting thin lines and mottling but I just get runs and spits.

Dave
From what I've read on various forums Dave, mottling is tough to get right using Vallejo paints (I'm assuming that these are your weapon of choice).

Using enamels is far easier for fine work, so even though you might not prefer to use them it could be worth having some just for that.