Getting a good gloss from tamiya

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
How in the world do I get a decent gloss finish from tamiya as I a want a good finish for my kitt
I have tried all sorts of combinations and still end like this
Hellllllppppp!!! IMG_20231203_150413.jpg

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Are you airbrushing of rattle can Pete?

Stefee

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stefan
I have found that Mr Hobby MLT thinners works perfectly with Tamiya X and XF paints. In warmer temps I mix 1:1 but at the moment I am adding some extra MLT. I use a 0.5 needle at 18 psi for larger panels and 0.3 for more detailed work. I have found that the solid colours have a very good gloss out of the gun but the metallic colours dry quite like a semi gloss/satin. The X22 clear generally behaves like the solid colours.
Hope that helps.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
I am using 10ml jars thinned down I have tried all sorts of ratios but still come up short I will be going to my local model shop and see what else is on offer
I’d go with Jim on the Tamiya lacquer thinner. Obviously your using Tamiya X-1 but you can add Tamiya X-22 clear gloss to your mix for xtra shine.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Echoing Jim & Stefan, it looks like a thinner issue. Appears to be drying way too fast, before it's had time to flow and level out.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
you can add Tamiya X-22 clear gloss to your mix for xtra shine.
Though that will reduce the covering power of the paint. If you’ve got X-22 clear gloss at hand anyway, you might as well use it as intended, IMHO: spray it over non-gloss paint after that has dried, to turn it gloss.