Getting the rust effect using the natural element

tiking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Charles
Last edited by a moderator:
B

Bunkerbarge

I love that effect. It is the first time I have seen proper rust used in a very realistic way.

Absolutely superb, very many thanks for the link. If this is the sort of thing you have available I can't wait for the others!!!

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
It does not make it very clear about the actual metal sheet material used,I would say this this is tinplate stock,interesting that the cider vinigar actually arrests the rust whilst submerged,the water is the activator after exposure to air,sea salt has a similar effect,you can get this from healthfood shops.

Coffee tins cut with either tinsnips or scissors, flattened out with a wooden rolling pin on layers of carpet underlay makes good material.

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Guys,

A member named Bernie over at www.cardmodels.net offered a thread on his build of a wwII jeep. He weathered it as he went along by using milled coffee for mud, you can see the full thread here: http://www.cardmodels.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2665&highlight=jeep

the first post on the second page gives the recipe for the "mud". here is a photo from that thread, although this is a paper model, the effect should be the same on plastic:

attachment.php

here is a synopsis of the recipe:

coffee trick was done as follows:

- apply glue on model

- apply coffe "sand" on model

- brush softly with soft brush - to get away not glued parts

- apply chalk dust

- can be applied little bit acvarel colours where needed

Notice the "mud" behind the front tire:

attachment.php

Anyway, I thought this was such a good tip I would share the thread with ya'll. And I want to thank Bernie for posting this thread over at www.cardmodels.net .

Have a good day all,

Greg aka GW