Gluing pre painted parts .

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I can report that AK 3 Rd Gen paint does not like TET !
Trying to glue the side armour shields to the pre painted main body resulted in the paint lifting.
Because the internal of the gun platform are would be virtually impossible to paint when built I painted it first ,after being varnished and weathered I went to glue it . I cleaned up the base of the sides and carefully removed any paint from the body . But in gluing some glue found its way onto the painted areas !!!!:anguished::confused::crying:
Looking back I suppose I should have left the main body paint free and covered the painted gun platform.
Now conceded about the pre painted kit for the figures !

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Trying to glue the side armour shields to the pre painted main body resulted in the paint lifting.
Because the internal of the gun platform are would be virtually impossible to paint when built I painted it first ,after being varnished and weathered I went to glue it . I cleaned up the base of the sides and carefully removed any paint from the body . But in gluing some glue found its way onto the painted areas !!!!:anguished::confused::crying:
Looking back I suppose I should have left the main body paint free and covered the painted gun platform.
I find Contacta much more controllable for that John. It cuts through the paint if you give it a minute or two, but is much less inclined to drift around. Failing that, CA works, but the bond is only as strong as the paint film.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I find Contacta much more controllable for that John. It cuts through the paint if you give it a minute or two, but is much less inclined to drift around. Failing that, CA works, but the bond is only as strong as the paint film.
Thanks Tim, I'll use that then when I add the kit to the figures :thumb2:

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Yo! Wobble,
Notice I am getting back to teen talk yeah! Try adding a small dot of cement to the part before joining and let it set just before it dries - then add cement to the joint. The first softens the plastic and settles the paint, and the second glues the part.
Hope this helps
Wibble.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
I was only thinking about this very issue yesterday!!

Yo! Wobble,
Notice I am getting back to teen talk yeah! Try adding a small dot of cement to the part before joining and let it set just before it dries - then add cement to the joint. The first softens the plastic and settles the paint, and the second glues the part.
Hope this helps
Wibble.
Thanks both for your thoughts on this!

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Well here's another conundrum on the same theme....
.... Thinking of how best to glue some etch insignia to an, already painted,figure.The etch bits are really tiny so I want to paint them first....if it's possible?!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Well here's another conundrum on the same theme....
.... Thinking of how best to glue some etch insignia to an, already painted,figure.The etch bits are really tiny so I want to paint them first....if it's possible?!
For this Andy, if you're not handling the figure after this then a dab of white glue works or very tiny dots of CA to can do the job. Just remember a little goes a long way for CA to bond.

Cheers,
Wabble

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
For this Andy, if you're not handling the figure after this then a dab of white glue works or very tiny dots of CA to can do the job. Just remember a little goes a long way for CA to bond.

Cheers,
Wabble
Excellent idea there there Richard,white glue it will be,thanks very much. :smiling3:
It's for my Hetzer Commander,so when he's fixed in position he'll never need to be touched again ;)
Thanks again!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Excellent idea there there Richard,white glue it will be,thanks very much. :smiling3:
It's for my Hetzer Commander,so when he's fixed in position he'll never need to be touched again ;)
Thanks again!
Another option is to use gloss varnish. It can act as an adhesive quite successfully. Once the part is set and in place you can matt it down to match the rest of the figure.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Another option is to use gloss varnish. It can act as an adhesive quite successfully. Once the part is set and in place you can matt it down to match the rest of the figure.
.... another great idea,(gotta love this site!),nice one Tim. :smiling3:
In this case,the two insignias are for his hat,which.... needs a varnish coat before a wash anyway,so that's the way I shall go. ;)

Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Yo! Wobble,
Hope this helps
Wibble.

Cheers,
Wabble
Thanks gentlefolk.:smiling3: