Gravity or siphon fed?

First Name
Drew
Okay, so I'm going to be buying an airbrush/compressor soon but have one question that I haven't really seen answered.

Should I go for gravity fed or siphon fed? I'll be honest, I prefer the idea of the siphon fed.

Is there any real difference between the two or does it just come down to personal preference?

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Gravity for me too. You'll waste far more paint with a siphon airbrush

S

Spyderman_uk

I usually tend to put far too much paint in the jar when using syphon fed brushes.

I find it much easier to use the gravity cup as it doesn't get in the way so much and the whole thing is less bulky.

Far better to add a bit more paint to the cup than to have to pour most of it back into another container. This has the added benefit of the paint getting stirred again if you are not using it very quickly.

M

munkster

Gravity +1.

I bought a cheapo set off eBay with both a gravity and a siphon AB and I can't recall ever using the siphon one for anything other than spraying varnish of some sort for the reasons mentioned above. Incidentally the cheapo gravity AB is still going strong and I haven't yet felt the need to switch over to the lovely Iwata one I bought a few months ago. Maybe I should stop worshipping its loveliness (opening the box, looking at it, closing the box) and use it! :smiling:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
HI drew , ive got both, each has its plus and minus points. A siphon fed has the advantage of being able to hold a lot more paint in the jar than a gravity fed ,but the downside is that there isnt as much initial control when starting spraying, the delay caused by the paint having to rise up the siphon tube meaning that such things as a carefully controlled mottle are very difficult if not impossible , it being hard to tell exactly when the paint is going to start spraying. A gravity fed on the other hand is instant making it much easier to get the effect you need, the minus is that the cup isnt so big, so if youre spraying a large area you might need to refill several times. I tend to use the siphon for large single colour areas and the gravity for fine detail work or freehand camo etc. Having said all that i guess i use the gravity 80% of the time as its not that often i do something thats really big ( of course at the moment im bucking the trend with a 1/72 tu22m2 backfire thats huge!!) Its all down to personal preference and of course what you can afford, but my two werent that expensive and seem to meet all my needs. hope this helps , cheers tony

T

tecdes

Tried both & found that siphon was a pain.

Gravity is much easier as has been said above. Also great for mixing in the bowl. Thinning if necessary on the fly. Easier to clean.

Laurie

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Gravity as well, as already said you use a lot less paint, you can use as little as a few drops.

E

Edgar Brooks

It makes no difference; you do not have to use a bottle with a siphon-type brush. Paasche and Badger make cups to fit their brushes, and I'd guess that others do, as well. Mix your paint to go through your brush, at your preferred pressure, and you'll be fine. I've never used a bottle on my Paasche VL, in the 30 years I've owned it.

Edgar

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I Have both, but must confess to using the gravity fees for almost everything.

I have a couple of Badger's with bottom feed. One of them is OK and paints like a dream. The other one the cup has a nasty tendency to fall out the socket. It can make a right mess of every thing as it bounces on the table and throws paint every where!!! But as has been said for large single colour jobs bung a jar on and its great.

Ian M

E

Edgar Brooks

Badger do (did?) two cups, with differing neck diameters for different brushes in their range; one is an interference fit (on other brands, too,) and the other isn't.

Edgar

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
My dodgy cup came with the airbrush. The only interference related with it is I find it very interfering when the darn cup falls of and lands in your lap!!! LOL.

Ian M

T

tecdes

That is a lot of interference Ian M.

Not had any problem with my Harder & Steenback Evolution. They supply two cups of differing sizes. Find the smallest one is perfect 95% of the time. I used the large one for a 1/72 Lanacaster which is big (Lancaster that is).

If you use Vallejo there is no problem with the amount of paint. Leave the cap off the paint container when airbrushing as you come to the end of the paint just squirt in a bit more paint. Dead simple.

Laurie

First Name
Drew
Thanks for all of the replies.

It seems the general opinion is for gravity fed. My only concern is (as someone already mentioned) the paint could create a bit of a mess.

I do my kits in the sitting room with any spray undercoating taking place in a very cluttered Steptoe type shed (honestly, there's barely room to move) and I think the wife would very quickly cause me great injury if she saw paint anywhere that it shouldn't be!

I'll maybe get one of each. A decent siphon fed for large areas (most of the kits I have in my stash are like this anyway) and an ebay steal for a gravity fed one (for the projects I have where I may need it).

Thanks again for all of the replies.

T

tecdes

Drew.

Not sure if other types have one but the Harder & Steenback Evolution Gravity brushes are supplied with clip on caps which fit on to both sizes of cups they supply.

Laurie

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
The revolution CR also has a cap but I never used it and never had any splashes, the only time I had a problem was when turned it upside down and for got it had paint in :smiling3:

M

m1ks

Click!

Solution?

Gravity feed, three interchangeable cups, Small, medium and family car respray massive, three needle / nozzle / caps

I have one it's my main use brush, is very good and the cheapo gravity one I got with my compressor kit does for backup and spraying cellulose.

I very very rarely use my siphon fed brush, one thing not mentioned is you'll need a slightly higher pressure for the siphon fed due to it having to suck the p[aint up the emulsion tube rather than it flowing down via gravity and atmos pressure.

However, each to their own, the siphon brushes are perfectly useable, the jars plentiful and cheap and the one bonus with them if you like to mix and store paints you can do it in the jars and then just give it a shake, screw on the cap, plug in and go, a lot of custom AB artists use them for this reason too, they can fit createx or similar bottles straight to the brush.

Edit

link

Same seller, same AB with compressor

Link

Same brush without hose, cheaper

Last edited:

yambam26

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ben
I vote Gravity feed as the easy to use and clean, The Airbrush above first link ^^^ i own one too very gd quality for the price can't fault it has quite a few options within the box :smiling3:

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Gravity wins hands down it's the only way to go.

Vaughan