Greek Hoplite Sculpt

P

Paul P

Hi Guys and Gal ;) , so onto the next piece of sculdugery, another 200mm figure of a Greek Hoplite. Im sure that Polux can tell you that the Hoplites were members of the Greek aristocracy who were part time fighting men. a bit like the TA here or the national guard in the states.

So first part was to make the head, not a lot to see as most of it will be covered by the helmet

As you can see loads to do just on this bit. The cheek guards are to long and the helmet bowl is not the right shape yet, it was a bit of a wierd shape, the helmet, the top part should look overley round as though its too big, but some detail to add to the cheek guards and perhaps a bit of engraving

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Paul

This will be a really interesting sculpt. I've always wanted to model a Spartan phalanx in 1/16, I think that would look really cool. I'll be very interested to see how this latest masterpiece turns out.

All the best

Paul

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
In awe again Paul, just looking at the basic (pftttttt-yeah, right) sculpt before detailing is amazing. It will of course, be up to your normal very high standards.

Si:smiling3:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
wow Paul, you sour got him started quickly, and a Milty good job so far,always find your work very interesting and enjoyable to see,

look forward to next update,

P

Paul P

Paul now is the time to have a go, get to it :smiling3:

Cheers Si nuther update inbound;)

Monica i dont hang about and thanks

OK i trimmed the cheek guards down to a suitable length, added the start of the breast plate, hair, the base for the plume and loads of detail, patterns on the helmet and the edge of the breast plate, and Ram skulls on the front, his shield will have a ram skull on the front

It gets a bit tricky to add more detail at the mo because its soft and my fat fingers get in the way. So ill have to do the legs and lower half next, bake them and then attach them to the uper half so that i have something to hold onto whilst i work.

thanks for looking in guys

Paul

P

Polux

Observe your sculpt skills is a pleasure Paul ;)

I really like this figure :smiling3: maybe, because is a very very distant relative...? :P

You will do his habitual big shield?

P

Paul P

Cheers Ian

sorry i havnt posted on this for a while but you can see ive been a busy bee and loads done to him,legs and greaves added breastplate well on the way and about to start on the leather strips over the tunic bottom

Still loads to go but its getting there

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
:eek::eek::eek: Paul, your skills are totally and utterly, well and truly out of this world! To have an ounce of your skill I'd be happy.

Lee :smiling3:

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
wow great work Paul, its just amazing to see it all come together :D

P

Paul P

Many thanks guys its always nice to get great feedback but im also open to any critisism, if anyone knows owt about the Ancient Greeks and i go wrong somewhere please speak up, its not my era really and i just get my info from the web.

So moving onto the shield, basically so i could get away from the manotony of doing the leather tassley bits. Big round shield, this goes from the shoulder to the knee, and made from bronze, so i should imagine you have to be built like Gerard Butler to lift it. It was also domed so i had to make a former to fit the putty round to bake it, and it came out ok. Gone for a Rams skull on the front, most of these were painted but i have seen some with raised decoration

there is still the arm strap and the hand grip to add but ill do that when i do the hands and arms

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Totally and utterly draw-dropping awesome...what else is there to say?

Si:smiling3:

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
Si has taken the words right out off my mouth, :D summons it all up :cool: