"HARD A'PORT JIMMY!".....1/72 PT109. Lt. J.F. Kennedy

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I was up in the loft the other day when I came across yet another model in an old box.....

It's a 1/72 model of J.F. Kennedy's M.T.B. 109, which I built many years ago, probably when it was first released. It has bits missing, no seam cleaning ect.

I have not attempted to do it up, save for a bit of rigging, a radio antenna and a couple of flags. So what you see is what you get!lol

I didn't want to bin it as it has a bit of sentiment, so I decided to have a first time go at a sea scape and try and incorporate the boat doing a flat out, sharp turn to port and flicking up a bit of damp on the way! I have attempted to give the water a sort of Pacific Ocean colour.

The base is a 16"X10"X1" bit of polystyrene packing, which I dug out to allow some heel on the hull. I then made the basic wave shapes out of tile adhesive and then painted this with blue and green water colours. Finally, I did the waterfall trick (Ready for the 'How to'!) to form the wash from the hull and the rough stuff at the stern.

No image trickery was used ( I wouldn't know how to anyway!) The pictures are untouched. To take the pictures I went outside and tillted the model to the heavens. One day a bit of sun, the next..... and just snapped away. A couple are taken indoors.

Sorry, there is a bit of repetition, but don't you just love waves?

I am well please how this, my first attempt at the 'Ogin has turned out, and I hope you approve of this offering.

Cheers,

Ron

View attachment 48277

View attachment 48278

View attachment 48279

View attachment 48280

View attachment 48281

View attachment 48282

View attachment 48283

View attachment 48284

View attachment 48285

View attachment 48286

View attachment 48287

View attachment 48288

View attachment 48289

View attachment 48290

View attachment 48291

View attachment 48292

View attachment 48293

View attachment 48294

Hard aport...PT109 022.jpg

Hard aport...PT109 025.jpg

Hard aport...PT109 001.jpg

Hard aport...PT109 002.jpg

Hard aport...PT109 003.jpg

Hard aport...PT109 004.jpg

Hard aport...PT109 005.jpg

Hard aport...PT109 007.jpg

Hard aport...PT109 008.jpg

Hard aport...PT109 009.jpg

Hard aport...PT109 010.jpg

Hard aport...PT109 012.jpg

Hard aport...PT109 014.jpg

Hard aport...PT109 015.jpg

Hard aport...PT109 017.jpg

Hard aport...PT109 018.jpg

Hard aport...PT109 019.jpg

Hard aport...PT109 020.jpg

C

Caledonia

Wow Stunning Ron, you never cease to amaze, I can feel the spray in my face - waiting for the 'how to tutorial'. 5 Star as always Master. Cheers Derek

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thats some very good water you have 'whipped' up there Ron!

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Wow,that's great. I'm never going to attempt water like that but I'm very interested to see how the devil you did it.

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks ever so much guys for your great posts on my P.T 109 model.

Thank you Derek for the 5* too!

Steve, I have this and a few other things lined up for the 'How to', as I suspect a few of us have......

I know water borne things are rare on here, but with the interesting builds on here at the minute (and skyraider's on the slipway) it could be the start of a floating revolution!!

Thanks again,

Ron

A

andyrobs

Hi Ron, wow, that it fantastic mate, the water is amazing, 5 stars from me for sure too!!!!

Cheers, Andrew

T

TonyBv9

Superb water effects there. I can almost feel my tea coming up again.

I've always fancied doing a boat myself.

Tony

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Thats just amazing ron ! The water effects are incredible (and incredibly life like too) I cant wait to see the How to tutorial. Great use of an old forgotten build too , now thats what i call re-cycling !! 5 star job matey , cheers tony

C

CDW

I think they're stills from a film and Rons just super-imposed his hand and done a little jiggery-pokery on the last images in photoshop .......

I want proof .... cold hard proof in a how-to :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:

B

Boldman

Yep I call Fake - thats the real thing not a model!!! :smiling3:

Superb water, looking forward to the How To!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Wo hey! What brilliant, and humourous posts from you boys. Thanks....

Looks like you have me in a corner!lol

I'll sort something out for you.....You'll be surprised just how relatively easy the process is. As the old saying goes....'If I can, then....'

Thanks again for taking the time to have a look and posting, I appreciate it.

Cheers,

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:

coachman

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Fantastic dio Ron,couldn't be more realistic. John

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks John, I'm glad you like it and thanks for posting your comments.

Cheers,

Ron

C

CDW

humorous maybe, definitly sincere though its awesome!!!!!

ps...i prefered your original unedited reply, made me giggle.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
humorous maybe, definitly sincere though its awesome!!!!! ps...i prefered your original unedited reply, made me giggle.
Glad you had time to read the original Colin.

I had intended to leave it in, but I decided to remove it in case it produced an adverse reaction.....

I could always do it again, though I fear the moment is lost.

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
P

phalinmegob

tell you what ron, remember that really expensive schnellboot you missed out on when we were at ellesmere port,would look fantastic on one of your wave bases ,might have to commision one off you,just had another good look at the photos and it really is awsome,you never cease to amaze me what you can do with a brush.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks a bundle Andrew, I still have nightmares about that.....if it hadn't been for me having to hide from 'You know who', it would have been me smiling like a village idiot, not you!

Anyway, apart from roughly brush painting the poly base of this model blue/green, the rest was done with a 4" nail, honest!

I'm sure, once you know 'How to', you could get the same effect, no bother. But thanks for the compliment, non the less....

Cheers,

Ron

D

dubster72

Somehow I missed this one Ron, but all I can say is 'wow'! That's probably the most realistic water effect I've yet seen. Until you see the last pictures with the base, you think it's a much bigger size too.

Top work & well worthy of 5 stars!

Cheers

Patrick

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Patrick.

I'm glad you like the water, I'm pretty chuffed myself!lol

As ever, alway good to read your input, no matter what thread.

Cheers,

Ron