Hasegawa 1/72 Sepecat Jaguar GR1

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nearly finished the Dragonfly, so a new kit is on the chopping board. Hasegawa's 1/72 Jaguar GR1, an older moulding with a little bit of flash here and there, but seems to be a nice and reasonably accurate shape.

I like the box art on this kit. I'm going to build it in the RAF version, XX732 with No.54 Squadron at Coltishall in 1979. This aircraft served briefly with 54 Squadron before returning to No.226 OCU, during which it was unfortunately lost with it's USAF exchange pilot in 1986.
IMG_0963.jpeg

The decals are nice, no 'Japanese ivory white' here.
IMG_0970.jpeg

I saw @Ian M post about manufacturers not providing paint codes. Check out this cockpit construction. Nothing, no call outs for the interior.
Untitled 2.jpg
Easy enough to work out from references and the internet, but pretty annoying.

Onwards with the build.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I started with the cockpit, painted dark grey which darkens further under a varnish. 'Chromate yellow' applied to the landing gear bays; I'll be closing the airbrakes because they are pants and I hate too many shaves during a build.

Hasegawa provides the cockpit section in two halves which are then mated to the assembled rear section. Prior negative experience of this method with a Hasegawa Phantom meant I have assembled the front sections to create two halves. It's more conventional, prevents steps and filling in areas which include fine recessed lines.
IMG_0973.jpeg

I've glossed the cockpit and will use the kit decals. Kerosene Biggles has his green coat on. He has also had an encounter with a No.11 blade. Never mow the lawns in bare feet.
IMG_0974.jpeg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice choice joe , we all love a Jag . Love how they provide six different colour callouts for the pilot but the entire cockpit just gets ‘interior green’ !

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice choice joe , we all love a Jag . Love how they provide six different colour callouts for the pilot but the entire cockpit just gets ‘interior green’ !
That interior green is for the underside of the tub because they want a mix of H58 & 4 and H58 isn’t included on the colour key. The main cockpit has no colour info…

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Of course , I thought it was a bit of a strange call out , if i remember from when I did a jaguar last ( probably ten+ years ago) the cockpit was black .

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Joe yes i see this aircraft in real with the sharks mouth on when i was up at the scottow crashgates as it was taxyin round to the runway for take off
chrisb

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
The Jaguar has the main camouflage scheme on now. Next up are some black areas and then I'll deal with metallic paints for the exhausts and heat shields.

IMG_1108.jpeg

I've noticed that Jaguars were hardly seen without wing drop tanks. The kits comes with exceedingly average weapons and no tanks. I sourced these from an Italeri Tornado kit, and they are the correct 1,200 litre tanks for the Jaguar. So the load out will be clean except for the tanks. I've had to think about how to fix them to the inner pylons, as they had a slot system for the original kit. I sanded the old paint off them, filled the slots, drilled a hole in each pylon and tank, and inserted a thin pin made from sprue. Should work! Some grey to go on the tanks, but they're looking okay so far in green
IMG_1109.jpeg