Head for the Hills

P

Pogo

Next week sees the start of some intense low level flying exercises, mostly in the north of England and Scotland. The Lake District, cumbria and the borders are going to be interesting places to visit. As are the highlands of scotland. Dont forget your cameras .

P

Pogo

Up the M6 about 2-3 miles from Tebay sevices. If you check out my gallery pics you will see a few ive taken from there . Its not a bad spot but a killer of a climb.

D

duncan

Yep seen your pics, great. Me, I`ll be on northern edge of Cairngorm with the usual east to west passes (heading for Lairig Grhu valley) being a favourite route. Any foriegn visitors, Yank or NATO ? No climb, carpark and cafe at Funicular bottom station of ski area.

P

Pogo

Hope so. I do have a couple more good pics taken 2 years ago of a leeming hawk and linton on ouse tucanos. The same day we saw a flight of 3 F15-E turning what we thought was towards us but they shot off up another vally The swines. If you ever go down the 6 heading south , when you get passed the services at tebay the road snakes a little bit .On the end hill on the right is a tv radio mast .On the opposiite side there is a steep sided hill near a small wood .Thats wheere we watch .Last august we spent 5 hours spotting virgin trains . Then at the last minute a Typhoon came tearing up the vally .I managed to get it. It can be boring but everytime we have been up wev'e seen something.

D

duncan

I know the place, but have always been long-hauling to somewhere else. My best missed shot was when the A-10s were on the go. A clubmate told us that a USAF pilot had stayed the night at his B&B and promised to buzz the house next time he was up this way. Forgot all about it till an A-10 came out of the trees at zero feet "on his earhole" snapped to the other ear then pulled up and away. The said B&B guy arrived at the field minutes later to tell us ,eyes popping about his private airshow. He couldnt believe it had come over to the field because the route,about 1.5mile, was below the trees in a straight line plus a line of power pylons. The sound was very curious. What a machine. Of course no camera, bugger.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Have heard about these high level vantage points for spotting and photography,sounds like a lot of fun,there have been some incredible photographs taken in the past few years,'Aeroplane Monthly' did an article on this type of thing,best of luck Pogo and Duncan in your photography,dont forget we want to see the results here,must take a look at the ones in the gallery as well,happy hunting and dont forget to take food and warm clothing up on the hills,things do clamp down weatherwise.

P

Pogo

Went to Swanage Dorset 2 years ago and went to visit Tyneham Village.It is right next to Warbarrow bay which is part of the MOD Ranges down there. The village was open (Its a museum kind of thing)and just as we arrived a Tornado came blasting over us at less than 250 feet. Got the camera out and another came over this went on for 1 hour with Jags and harrier 7s flying about . Fantastic display .

P

Pogo

Sok barry .I am an experieced hill walker from years ago. Its like a military expedition when we go on one of these jaunts. Only thing i dont take is an inflatable setee .Although thats a good idea.Does anyone remember the pics taken in wales of the farmers Barn? He got so fed up with low flying aircraft he painted on his Barn roof "Piss Off Biggles". Bad mistake ,.First pilot who saw got on the radio and said Hey come and look at this .So they did . The farmer painted it out aftre 2 weeks .Wonder why?

T

tigertc

My dad used to fly Gypsy moths when he was training to fly in singapore. He told me a story of when some of the more competant (or just plain mad) pilots used to bounce the tail wheel off the roofs off their comrades houses to wake them up on a morning.

Nothing to do with the current thread, it came to mind after reading the above post.

D

duncan

Very good , know the spot. Round the corner and you see the railway? That is the HMS Gannet Sea King I think. If I send you the Lossie one that was stuck for a week in the hills can you resize it for posting? I dont think we ever got it on the forum.

R

rjwood_uk

i was going to ask what markings are the westland

nice close up of the hawk!!! (can even see the pilot and navs helmets!!)

D

duncan

Sea King has current Royal Navy air sea rescue markings plus the RN recruiting poster on each side . On the nose is a small St.Andrews flag. The red is not Day-glo.