Head for the Hills

T

tigertc

reminds me of another story i was told by an RAF pilot.

I was doing a disco long time ago at RAF Linton. A bunch of pilots had just passed out and a celebratory party was being held. I got talking to a guy who had just come back from Kuwait and he was tellng me what i thought at the time was serious (and probably was). Apparently American Pilots were given certain orders about flying heights. The briefings went something like this

Flight Officer "Todays sorte is over an airfield and fuel depot outside bagdad, we must try and keep to 6000 feet, try not to go below 4000 feet only if absolutely necessary will we go below 2000 feet. And under NO circumstances go below 200 feet."

Pilot "Sir, why cant we fly below 6000 feet?

Officer "Because we risk running into Iraqi ground to air missiles, son"

Pilot"Thankyou sir,if you dont imind me asking, why cant we go below 4000 feet sir?"

Officer" Thats because we run the risk of running into Iraqi flak son"

Pilot "Thankyou sir, So what about 2000 feet sir?

Officer" Son, at 2000 feet we risk running into Iraqi small arms fire"

Pilot"Thankyou sir, So what about 200 feet sir?"

Officer " SON, you really don't wanna go below 200 feet!"

Pilot "But why sir, RPG's, rocks, stones...why not sir?"

Officer "Son, we risk running into the RAF"

Last edited:
R

rjwood_uk

lol, brilliant!!! god save our gracious...land!!!

woo hoo go raf go!

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
***Fresh air,snow and people,what more could one want ? you have more snow in your area than we get in 10 years here ? a rare commodity in Warwickshire these days,can hardly remember what an icicycle looks like now ? global warming.

As long as it brings in the pennies for a new engine Duncan !

Wilco Barry' date=' my current workplace.[/quote']

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
***Simply brilliant Collin,these pictures showing the Tucano prove that black really is the most visible colour at low level,notice how many civilian helicopters and other air forces ( Holland ) are adopting black as the main aircraft colour ? a great hobby,keep up the good work.

Here are some photos taken 2 years apart from the same spoyt.

D

duncan

Barry, it is snowing as I type ! Up there again at 7am tomorrow till 5pm. Have a look at www.cairngormmountain.com (live webcams) but see the gallery in "fun stuff" for the best of it. The`ve still got the stranded Sea King picture up. "Pennies for new engine..." sole purpose of visit !

Last edited:

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Thats quite a long Day Duncan,do you have to travel far to get there ? I you get quite an appetite after that.

The web cam shows...Snow,and lots of it.

R

rjwood_uk

wow duncan, looks like a beautiful location!!

never been to scotland, might have to one day!

D

duncan

Only 10miles and up 2000ft by car or snowplow, then another 2000ft up by funicular railway. Certainly whets the appetite. Check "Fun Stuff" for best pics.

D

duncan

Had a singleton low pass at car-park level (2000ft asl) . Grey plane , grey sky, damned slow getting camera out pocket and fired-up, cold fingers so only got two shots before he/she disappeared into murk. Sun came out PM but no more sky action. Will get pal to post them Tuesday. Edit:7.10pm another (or same one) passed over Aviemore going west, very low , 400ft?, wings swept. I only got side view glimpse, wife at rear window says it had twin fins.

Last edited: