Hello all

Geordie

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi everyone. I’m an old guy coming back to model making after a very long break. Things seem to have changed a lot over the last 50 years! Hoping to learn from others and help if I can.
I enjoy making aircraft from WWII to present day but would like to try some military vehicles too. Looking forward to seeing everyone’s builds.
im starting off my return with the Ainfix 1/72 ‘John Glen’ Sabre kit. It seems pretty good and not too hard a build. Saying that, my eyes are not too good and all those tiny stencils might be a trial! Time to get the magnifier out me thinks. I’m also trying an airbrush for the first time. Better watch some videos on that.
Nice to be here . Happy building all.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
John,
welcome to the Forum! Things have changed somewhat in 50 years! If you have vision problems, then an Optivisor and a good daylight lamp are good investments & a good set of tweezers, if your hands aren't as nimble as they used to be ( like mine! ). There are loads of members who will be willing to help you spend your money on models!! ;)
Dave

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi John, welcome. One of the ways to learn to use an airbrush is to practise on a plastic water bottle. Get the air pressure and paint consistency to your application liking. You'll figure out how thick or thin the paint should be and how far or near the surface for the desired effect.

Cheers,
Richard aka Wabble

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi John, good on you for joining up.....money well spent. That Sabre jet sounds interesting how about posting a build thread on it when you get around to starting it. ;)

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Welcome John, cannot add anything more at the moment that has not been said about nimble fingers and 100% perfect eyesight, most of us on here wished we had both.