Hello from Virginia

NickInTheValley

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
Greetings,

Found this forum mentioned when someone asked a similar question I had: what modeling forums do you follow? Scale-models.co.uk was well spoken of. I am returning to the hobby after a a few decades between childhood and now. I got frustrated building a DML 9009 Sherman kit that is old enough to perhaps be the original release. I am shelving that for now and going to build the Tamiya M4A3E8 Korean War kit in honor of my Father, who served in Korea fixing tanks etc.

Looking forward to learning from many of you!

-Nick
Edit: Forgot to mention my family immigrated from then Leicestershire aboard the ship "Swallow" in 1637.

Last edited:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Nick,
welcome to the forum the Tammy M4 should go together easier than the DML - they were notorious for poor instructions!
I used to visit Newport News & Norfolk in the 70/80s - I remember seeing the SS United States there, almost derelict! - A lifetime ago............
Dave

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
No I imagine not. I would like to visit the UK sometime though.

Should you decide to visit the county city of Leicester it's the home of the UK space centre, the final resting place of King Richard III and a declining football (soccer) team!

Miko (apart from a bright orange coloured cheese that's pretty much every thing I know about your ancestral home)

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The main part to be aware of with the Tamiya HVSS Sherman kits is that the bogies are a bit of a loose fit — un-Tamiya-like, really — and the tracks are poorly detailed. Other than that, and the typical Tamiya simplifications, it’s quite a good kit and should build up a lot easier than the Dragon Shermans.

Oh, and welcome :smiling3:

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Welcome from me to Nick. Like a few nautical types on her, bounced up the East coast of the USA including the loverly US Virgin Islands. (The UK ones too of course). Developed many bad habits from your country - namely burgers!!!! Have the waistline to prove it!!

NickInTheValley

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
The main part to be aware of with the Tamiya HVSS Sherman kits is that the bogies are a bit of a loose fit — un-Tamiya-like, really — and the tracks are poorly detailed. Other than that, and the typical Tamiya simplifications, it’s quite a good kit and should build up a lot easier than the Dragon Shermans.

Oh, and welcome :smiling3:
I think I'd even like the more modern Dragon kits fine. The amount of finessing, fitting, shaping, and otherwise modifying to get parts to fit was ending up not so fun. I will come back to it later and try again.

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Welcome Nick bit late to the party but you have joined one of the best modelling forums as I have managed 12 years here myself so I hope you enjoy your time here plenty of knowledge and friendly people reside here as well as a few nutters.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Welcome Nick. Hope you enjoy it here. I am sure we will all wish you a safe and helpful return to the hobby.
I am sure you where just as surprised/shocked as I and many others at despite our dwindling numbers (modellers not members) the industry has grown to the Nth. For both better and worse! Better because the choices are many. Worse because the choices are many. LOL.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Welcome Nick .Nice forum. Full of help should you need any and with out any smart a**** making stupid remarks .

Excuse the interruption.
Was that the year Commander Race was born???????
Think it was 1648 ! Certainly feel like it at times Lee.;):smiling2: